Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
Uh, well that's news to me. I am pretty well versed in the wildlife laws both Federal and for South Carolina and my understanding is a person can't remove a nest in progress of being built or during incubation, hatching, raising or fledging but after fledging, it's ok.

Robins don't reuse nests anyway so actually if you were trying to be nice to the Robin, removing the nest and leaving the platform available for renesting is what you would do. Very few species reuse nests and I don't remember ever ready an account of a robin reusing. It's too dangerous - the nest gets old and unstable plus the longer it's used, the more it smells = easier for a predator to smell it, find it and eat everyone.
One of our robins resuses her nest every year for the past three years. She adds a bit of fluff and some new mud once in a while, but does not really change it. One of the others builds a new nest on top of the old one each year. Three others,we cannot really see and the remaining ones are new this year.

If these nests are going to put us at risk of prison time, mayeb we should start shooting the robins once they are grown up so that they do nto return and make nests that we might inadvertently disturb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 AM

672 posts, read 2,114,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One of our robins resuses her nest every year for the past three years. She adds a bit of fluff and some new mud once in a while, but does not really change it. One of the others builds a new nest on top of the old one each year...
Well, you learn something new every day! Do you live in the city, suburbs or a rural area?

When I got home last night, I read my Birder's Handbook and the author doesn't say anything about reusing nests. He did say that sometimes the first clutch is taken care of by the male while the female is incubating a second clutch on a second nest elsewhere.

If it were me, I would have zero problem taking the nest down after fledging and blocking access to the speaker to keep another nest from being built.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:53 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,606 times
Quote:

If it were me, I would have zero problem taking the nest down after fledging and blocking access to the speaker to keep another nest from being built.
Yep! Wish I knew how to make my tablet post one of those thumbs up smilies! I am enjoying a cup of coffee & getting a clear view of the nest right now. Mom & Pop are both there with food & the chicks are big enough now that I can see 3 heads up out of the nest with their beaks wide open...cool. Maybe less than a week to flight I think.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
You're overthinking this. It's survival of the fittest and concrete, family dogs are part of the process of elimination. They hay is totally unnecessary.

And I really don't understand why you're keeping your dogs out of the yard. We have tons of birds living in our yard, and we always let our dogs outside. There has never been a problem.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:54 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're overthinking this. It's survival of the fittest and concrete, family dogs are part of the process of elimination. They hay is totally unnecessary.

And I really don't understand why you're keeping your dogs out of the yard. We have tons of birds living in our yard, and we always let our dogs outside. There has never been a problem.
Not really keeping the dogs out of the yard - more that I don't want them to ingest a baby bird that may hit the ground. When I first hit the web for info on this; I read that the fledglings don't always fly straight from nest. Article I read says fledglings more often jump from nest to ground, hop a bit, then fly. Since the nest is approx. 5 feet from door, if bird is on ground & my dog sees it, bye bye birdie.

I agree with you that's part of survival of the fittest...but I also don't relish the late night carpet "urp" Moose will leave. Between my two dogs, they have killed &/or ingested moles, mice, a baby rabbit, a large frog (gross is not the word for that one)...& the best: a turtle about the size of my palm. That last one came with a bonus trip to the vet. Figured i'd head this one off before we reach that point, if I could.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:39 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Wanted to share what's going on in my little spruce on my front lawn (not on a porch,fortunately):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-close-up1.jpg

Took the photo Friday and today they seem bigger already

Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Bridge, I've been watching an interesting situation. I deliver newspapers and one of my customers has a bird trying to build a nest in our orange newspaper box. Every morning he would go out and pull the starts of the nest out and the bird would rebuild. he then stuffed the box with bags and asked me to just throw the paper until Mama Bird is gone. The bird still tries to put a nest on the bags. Somebody told him to get a rubber snake and put in the box. Mama aint been back since! I had always heard of putting rubber snakes in your garden to keep birds out but not in a newspaper box. lol

Old 05-28-2011, 09:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Uh, well that's news to me. I am pretty well versed in the wildlife laws both Federal and for South Carolina and my understanding is a person can't remove a nest in progress of being built or during incubation, hatching, raising or fledging but after fledging, it's ok.

Robins don't reuse nests anyway so actually if you were trying to be nice to the Robin, removing the nest and leaving the platform available for renesting is what you would do. Very few species reuse nests and I don't remember ever ready an account of a robin reusing. It's too dangerous - the nest gets old and unstable plus the longer it's used, the more it smells = easier for a predator to smell it, find it and eat everyone.
That's my understanding as well. I'm a layperson when it comes to law, but my profession has, at times, required me to become very well versed in wildlife statutes, both Federal and Texan. I have no idea why someone would say "Labor Day" is the magic date for robins and the sum of my experience has been that "active nesting" is off limits (you aren't even allowed to "harass" nesting birds unless they are starlings, sparrows or pigeons - I wonder what would qualify as harassment) but that unoccupied nests revert to a pile of twigs and poop under no special protection.

Take whatever I say with a grain of salt because I'm sure as hell not writing a check if you get in trouble, but I suspect you've been scolded by someone at least as unsophisticated as I.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:31 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Jim, I drive a '97 Geo Tracker with a canvas top that is in dire need of replacement. The back window, that unzips to take out. The zipper's teeth are so bad it needs dentures and I've got the window held in by zip ties. The reason I'm telling you all this is so you can see how a bird found an opening around that back window and nested inside my car! She made her nest inside right about where the taillight is. I knew there were eggs in there but needed to go places in the Tracker so the eggs, and then baby birds, got a wild ride. The longest I was gone away from Mama Bird was about 3 hours, after the eggs had hatched. She was hopping all over the place when I got back. Must not have bothered them too bad. Went out one day and noticed the nest was empty. That's the day the nest was removed from the Tracker.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Not really keeping the dogs out of the yard - more that I don't want them to ingest a baby bird that may hit the ground. When I first hit the web for info on this; I read that the fledglings don't always fly straight from nest. Article I read says fledglings more often jump from nest to ground, hop a bit, then fly. Since the nest is approx. 5 feet from door, if bird is on ground & my dog sees it, bye bye birdie.
We have baby birds hopping all over our yard. Our dogs have never eaten one, live one that is. (Sometimes they find an old dead one.) Anyways, we're always out with our dogs. When we see a baby bird hopping around, we divert their attention. When the baby birds fall from the nest, they don't stay right nearby. They hop fairly far. They'll go for the grass, not stay on your patio. And trust me, they're not going to splat dead hitting concrete. I have baby birds fall from my roof, three stories down onto a brick patio and they don't die or get hurt from the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I agree with you that's part of survival of the fittest...but I also don't relish the late night carpet "urp" Moose will leave. Between my two dogs, they have killed &/or ingested moles, mice, a baby rabbit, a large frog (gross is not the word for that one)...& the best: a turtle about the size of my palm. That last one came with a bonus trip to the vet. Figured i'd head this one off before we reach that point, if I could.
Surprisingly, birds digest easily. I know this because my beagle basset swallowed our pet parakeet whole. It was a big bird compared to a baby bird. Anyways, there wasn't any digestive problems. I kept expecting to "see" the bird "again" but it was completely digested by the time it passed through his system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House