Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM

672 posts, read 2,114,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMegan View Post
I don't have a basement, we live in an apartment without one. No chance of being pregnant...lol I thought of potatoes to, but didn't have any thankfully. I don't understand why no one else but me can smell it. The smell seems to be the strongest in my dining room/kitchen area, but there are times where I can smell it through the whole apartment.
I wonder if it's a water leak somewhere and the smell you're smelling is mold.
Do you have your own water meter? If so, make sure all faucets and toilets are off and check to see if the meter is running. It also could be a slow leak so you could write down the current meter # and wait a few hours without using water and recheck the meter to see if more water has been "used" aka leaking out somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
If you have a dishwasher, remove the bottom panel and check under it. When the seals go between motor and pump housing, it can leak and puddle.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:03 AM

6 posts, read 41,945 times
if it was the dishwasher wouldn't I see a puddle come out from underneath it? I know our dishwasher is old because sometimes I have to run it twice for it to clean the dishes. I'm not sure about the water meter, I'm thinking not though because we don't pay a water bill here.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:20 AM

6 posts, read 41,945 times
This is her husband, I have no idea where the smell is comeing from, i smell it sometimes, but im a heavy smoker and it probley messed up my smell a bit. were going to look under dish washer today

Old 07-04-2011, 10:39 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
When a dishwasher starts to leak, it may be a while before the puddle is large enough to become visible. Often, significant damage has been done to the floor and cabinetry by the time it is discovered. I'm guessing you have already checked the pan of the cabinet under the sink for leaks in piping. Have had that happen to me.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
I once left a steak on top of the fridge - I'm short, so I never saw it. Neither did my then-husband. Any chance that might be it?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Do you smell it under your kitchen cabinet sink? It could be your p-trap.

Here are some ideas:
Odor coming from under Kitchen sink

Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
Once I had this problem. I have one of those noses. My husband joked once that I could smell a dead fly in the garage, third shelf, behind the paint cans and that isn't too far off. I smelled something for days. It really bugged me. I smelled it mostly in the kitchen near the refrigerator but I looked in the usual and not too usual places, cleaned, disinfected and kept smelling it. I sniffed the air to locate the source in desperation and got near the top of the fridge where I had a sweet potato plant growing in water. Bingo! I drained the water and planted it outside. If you have flowers in vases, a filthy aquarium or a science project like the potato, this could be your problem.

Another thought occurs to me, hopefully all your neighbors are well. Often problems such as stench from hoarding, leaks in the plumbing or dead people are smelled by neighbors first. Sorry. But it's really true.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:12 PM

815 posts, read 2,999,080 times
My folks had a musty smell in their master bath. No matter how much it got scrubbed down and cleaned that smell never would go away. Not even for a while. Thankfully it could only be noticed in the bathroom.

They are retired now, and they go south for the winter. The bathroom was in need of remodeling anyway so I volunteered to GC it when they were gone. My brother and I decided to demo it ourselves (I like doing demo) to save a few bucks. After removing the cabinets, toilet etc, we start ripping up the ceramic tile floor. We discover we can pull up the tile with our bare hands because the underlayment is like mulch. Yes, mulch! The only reason it had stayed somewhat together was a metal mesh and the grout holding the tiles in place. Who ever had laid the tile in the 1970's had installed it directly over particle board! (probably the worst thing to install tile on). Particle board doesn't handle water well and both the toilet and tub had been leaking so it had turned into mush. It never dried!!!! (cleaning the tile probably made it worse!!!)

After removing the tile and shoveling out the mushy particle board the musty smell finally went away for good when the room actually got dry for the first time in years. (somehow the subfloor which was plywood was in good condition).

This probably isn't going to solve your problem (since it didn't stink up the whole house) but your not the only one when it comes to smells you can't find and stop. It was like that for years!!! The folks love their new bathroom with tile on real mortar (plus it's heated, so it drys in minutes).

Good luck with your search.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
This sounds a lot like the first stages of a spirit haunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House