Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
If you actually worked in construction and did demo on a daily basis, of things like that, you should be somewhat concerned and definately should be taking precautions.

Maybe if you were building ships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You are going to die!

(Almost definitely not from Asbestos, lead, mercury or DDT, but you are going to die.)
Well I'm sure you put his mind at ease.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Well I'm sure you put his mind at ease.
Just trying to be helpful.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 PM

6 posts, read 243,818 times
Thank all of you for this information. You guys are very informative and put my mind at more ease. Now I am worried about the dust from jackhammering the tile and tearing up the concrete slab! Yikes. I was just young and stupid...that's all there is to it. My friend does the stuff for a living so I don't know why he did not warn me and give me a respirator.

So is concrete dust very dangerous if you breathe it for a few days? I guess because I am an idiot I didn't consider that either. I thought it could mess with your sinuses or allegies but I didn't know it could cause some permanent problem.

I guess I thought your lungs were capable of clearing concrete dust but maybe not. You guys have definitely raised my awareness and I will be extremely careful in the future.

I so appreciate that you all took the time to respond.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
No... you'll be fine.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbr View Post
So is concrete dust very dangerous if you breathe it for a few days? I guess because I am an idiot I didn't consider that either. I thought it could mess with your sinuses or allegies but I didn't know it could cause some permanent problem.
Anything that is made up of small particles isn't good for your health if you breath it in. While your body is able to remove some of the foreign matter that gets into your lungs (like coughing up mucus and phlegm) inevitably some of it can't be removed and it builds up over time leading to breathing problems when you get older. You should always use a dust mask or respirator when working in such conditions.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbr View Post
Thank all of you for this information. You guys are very informative and put my mind at more ease. Now I am worried about the dust from jackhammering the tile and tearing up the concrete slab! Yikes. I was just young and stupid...that's all there is to it. My friend does the stuff for a living so I don't know why he did not warn me and give me a respirator.

I guess I thought your lungs were capable of clearing concrete dust but maybe not. You guys have definitely raised my awareness and I will be extremely careful in the future.

I so appreciate that you all took the time to respond.

It is not super dangerous. Just not real healthy. Concrete contains Lyme. That is probably the worst component. I have never heard that LIme will kill you or do serous injury to your helth, but it can be bad for you if you inhale too much of it. I woudl nto worry about that little bit.

I was just saying that the aesbestos concern is not a major concern, less of a concern than the lyme inthe concrete and that is not a real serious concern. In other words, you do nto have anything to worry about.

(Well except that you are going to die. Probably from heart failure caused by excessive worrying. Out of the whole thing, probably the most dangerous thing you did was worrying about it. Stress is really really bad for you )

Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,674 times
Oh great, I have a popcorn ceiling. My house was built in 1918 -_-

Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
I like popcorn, can I come over and eat off your ceiling sometime?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Just don't scrape it...or if you do, you may want to have a piece tested to see if it's even something to worry about. If it contains asbestos then you can either still scape it off yourself (keeping it wet throughout) or hire a firm for $1000+ to do it for you if it makes you feel better. But if you're not planning on scraping it off, there is nothing to worry about unless you do major renovations which requires ripping up the ceiling. I'm actually not really sure asbestos had gotten that popular in homes yet in 1918...feel like it was more of a 50's - 70's thing, but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House