Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 AM

347 posts, read 1,282,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I'll tell you one NOT to buy: KOHLER K-3386-0 Rialto One-Piece Round-Front Toilet.

I bought two of them at Home Depot (my last purchase ever at a big-box store) seven years ago. They were very expensive but are, by far, the worst toilets ever. I wish I'd read the reviews on Amazon before buying them.

KOHLER K-3386-0 Rialto One-Piece Round-Front Toilet, White - Amazon.com
I have the Rialto in my other bathroom. It was here when bought the house. It has the worst flush. What a piece of junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Any opinions on Gerber toilets in the $250 range? The plumber recommended it. ?? Definitely want the chair height model; I plan on getting older. Also, any opinions on the American Standard Cadet ??

thx

Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Any opinions on Gerber toilets in the $250 range? The plumber recommended it. ?? Definitely want the chair height model; I plan on getting older. Also, any opinions on the American Standard Cadet ??

thx
Do a google search for TERRY LOVE FORUMS. They have a forum for toilets.

His forums are great. This is where I discoverd Toto products.

Terry Love is a professional plumber.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

thx
-

This was recommended by both a realtor and a plumber - so I bought one - so far so good (about 6 mos).

I had 3 to get - my one regret is that I bought 1 elongated and 2 rounds - hate the elongated version. With the water saving features it look really stupid with this little bit of water at the bottom of this rather large commode.

BTW - love the title of this thread

Last edited by Umbria; 11-27-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
I think the American Standard Champion 4 was C/R's #1 toilet, FWIW.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
Do a google search for TERRY LOVE FORUMS. They have a forum for toilets.

His forums are great. This is where I discoverd Toto products.

Terry Love is a professional plumber.
I discovered Toto the same way. Terry Love is the Godfather of toilets. His forum is full of profesional pulumers if you want the real scoop.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier about Toto is the soft close lid. When you drop the lid, it has a shock action that allows the lid to close in about 20 seconds, which makes for a soft lqnding. No more lid slamming when the kids and the old man drop the lid.. Great feature..
Here's Terry...
Toilet Forum discussions

Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I discovered Toto the same way. Terry Love is the Godfather of toilets. His forum is full of profesional pulumers if you want the real scoop.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier about Toto is the soft close lid. When you drop the lid, it has a shock action that allows the lid to close in about 20 seconds, which makes for a soft lqnding. No more lid slamming when the kids and the old man drop the lid.. Great feature..
Here's Terry...
Toilet Forum discussions
Terry, like all plumbers doesn't want callbacks because of poor products. Therefore, he preaches TOTO all day long.

The soft close lid is a nice feature. A standard lid from HD will work, but the dimensions and color might be off a bit. The TOTO lid is a perfect match and worth the extra $$.

I'm thinking now about my time last year researching toilets. Just like the OP, I though it would be an easy decision on what to buy. Once I finally decided on a TOTO, I went to my TOTO dealer and they had 25 toilets on display

Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
I'm thinking seriously now about cancelling the $250 Gerber, and getting the A/Std Champion instead. Don't know why my plumber suggested the Gerber. Choosing a reasonably priced reliable toilet seems to be a "cr**pshoot".

Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
Terry, like all plumbers doesn't want callbacks because of poor products. Therefore, he preaches TOTO all day long.

The soft close lid is a nice feature. A standard lid from HD will work, but the dimensions and color might be off a bit. The TOTO lid is a perfect match and worth the extra $$.

I'm thinking now about my time last year researching toilets. Just like the OP, I though it would be an easy decision on what to buy. Once I finally decided on a TOTO, I went to my TOTO dealer and they had 25 toilets on display
The Kohler from Lowes I mentioned early on came with (no additional charge) their soft close lid. Works well.

Also I have never had to double flush it.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I put in this same one earlier this yr

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
The Kohler from Lowes I mentioned early on came with (no additional charge) their soft close lid. Works well.

Also I have never had to double flush it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House