Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times

Advertisements

It is time to replace the toilet i think. I need suggestions on a replacement model.

Mine is 14 years old, and while it works fine for my wife, it doesn't work fine for me. I have to plunge almost everytime I use the toilet. Friends have suggested to me that toilets tend to plug up naturally over time and need to be replaced.

So - do I need to replace, and if so what is the best brand/model? Is there a way to encourage stuff to flow more freely through my current model?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 06:48 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times
Default That is the burning question.......

Ah, to replace or not........

Depends, is your old one a low flush water user???? If not, that usually is reason enough to replace, just the water savings can be pretty good depending on what you are paying for water.

H,mmm what are you putting in there that is causing plugs???? Maybe need a change in diet too.

You might try cleaning the old one out with something like CLR. Can get it at WalMart, leave in the bowl over night, then scrub with some narrow brush to get way in there. Will take out the hardest scale buildup.

Just leaving your business soak a bit in the bowl also will break it down and make it more flushable. You got to be delivering pretty good loads not to go normally if the passages are fairly open.

Replacing ain't a bad idea on an old toilet. You usually can get a new one for about the same money as a total rebuild of the working parts which gets required after they get so old. Sad but true, planned obsolescence as a way of life.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 PM

261 posts, read 1,217,100 times
Default I've got website for you to visit.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
It is time to replace the toilet i think. I need suggestions on a replacement model.

Mine is 14 years old, and while it works fine for my wife, it doesn't work fine for me. I have to plunge almost everytime I use the toilet. Friends have suggested to me that toilets tend to plug up naturally over time and need to be replaced.

So - do I need to replace, and if so what is the best brand/model? Is there a way to encourage stuff to flow more freely through my current model?

thanks
Oh Shadow!! I've got a great website for you to check out. The link below will take you to a website that rates almost all the toilets on the market. They do extensive testing using soy paste to simulate how much capacity a toilet can flush. We use information from this site to choose any toilet we purchase.

There is nothing worse than an ineffective toilet. We had one in our powder room that embarassed more than one unwary guest.

CUWCC

After browsing this site, you'll be amazed at how much there is to know before choosing a potty!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:59 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,751 times
Toto.......

Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Get an old toilet (pre 1970 I think), or smuggle one in from Canada. Stay away from those low flush toilets. They do nto work worth a darn and do nto save water. If you flush 4 times to clear the toilet, you ar ento saving water, you are using more. Plus you get P.o.d after a while.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 62,829 times
Everyone recommends toto, but most people don't usually tell you that the toto toilets are way overpriced. I know kohler doesn't get the best ratings, but we have had a memoirs for 4 years and a cimmaron (spelling oops) for 2 years and have had no problems - and everything flushes the first time around..

Old 04-11-2008, 03:41 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glstnbrysnb View Post
Everyone recommends toto, but most people don't usually tell you that the toto toilets are way overpriced. I know kohler doesn't get the best ratings, but we have had a memoirs for 4 years and a cimmaron (spelling oops) for 2 years and have had no problems - and everything flushes the first time around..
The local company that sells Toto wants almost $500 for the base unit without any frills. SOunds like a lot to me. Will be checking some of the other companies.

I think we will try a real thourough cleaning and see if that helps. Also going to remove the plastic insert that is in the tank that limits the amount of water that goes on each flush. That might help too.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:53 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Not to "mess" with you - are you using way too much T.P.?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:03 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
We had problems with that, too, and we had Canadian toilets and a brand-new house. The problem is modern toilets...the exit hole is too small AND they don't glaze the exit all the way down, so *stuff* builds up on the rough porcelain.

We bought one of those toilets that says it will swallow a whole bucket of golf balls...not that you'd want to try it! You want to get the biggest, uh, exit hole you can find...3" I think, or more. The new toilet works MUCH better.

You could also get one of those tanks that pressurizes the flush, but those things scare me!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Get the Toto Drake!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House