Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Anyone know if you can use some product - like RainX - on the exterior windows to keep the rain from streaking and spotting the windows???

Any ideas? My windows are FILTHY - we are in a drought and so could not wash them last year . . . don't know when we will be allowed to wash them this year . . . but I sure would like to have a plan figured out to keep the glass from getting so nasty . . . here, it rains and pollen has coated the glass, then it streaks - ick!!! Very nasty. Anything that would help create a "sheeting" effect w/ the water would be great.
I use Liquid Glass. It's a high gloss acrylic car "wax" and buffs crystal clear. It is also more durable than RainX. Makes the water bead up and fall off the window and dirt doesn't stick very well.

I'm not a fan of RainX. It leaves a film that blurs the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 08:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I use Liquid Glass. It's a high gloss acrylic car "wax" and buffs crystal clear. It is also more durable than RainX. Makes the water bead up and fall off the window and dirt doesn't stick very well.

I'm not a fan of RainX. It leaves a film that blurs the window.
Oh, Tesaje - you have been such a great source of info - thank you so much! Now - is this something I can get at local stores like WalMart or Target? I am very disappointed in RainX - made a big mess on my windshield - so I am not a fan of it, either. But this Liquid Glass . . . I am gonna get some right away once I find out where to go. Thank you!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, Tesaje - you have been such a great source of info - thank you so much! Now - is this something I can get at local stores like WalMart or Target? I am very disappointed in RainX - made a big mess on my windshield - so I am not a fan of it, either. But this Liquid Glass . . . I am gonna get some right away once I find out where to go. Thank you!!!
I found it at a car parts store here. But I couldn't find it at all in Denver. If nothing else, you can always get it online.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I found it at a car parts store here. But I couldn't find it at all in Denver. If nothing else, you can always get it online.
Gonna send DH out to do a search, LOL. He is very interested in seeing how it works on our windows, too. We have a big hang up on nasty windows and ours are looking really awful right now. We are thinking about just using two buckets of water (no garden hose) and wash our lower windows despite the drought. Since we won't be running water - we won't be violating our regs - but the pollen is awful and we really need to do something. It is only going to get worse. If we open the windows, all that collected pollen blows into our house- wh/ adds to our allergy woes!!!

Sounds like we could at least do the bottom windows and apply the Liquid Rain . . . and enjoy looking out those windows (and opening them in the evenings).

Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,777,124 times
Ani -- i was gonna ask what kind of pooch you have... to get all that shmutz on your walls.

my MIL had a basset that would shmutz up her walls.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Ani -- i was gonna ask what kind of pooch you have... to get all that shmutz on your walls.

my MIL had a basset that would shmutz up her walls.
Well, she does not drool. She gets her fur wet under her chin and alternately wipes it off on the sofas (where we have towels to mitigate the damage) and she shakes herself off after drinking water!!! Her problem is not drool (like w/ some breeds) but getting wet . .. she is Miss Priss . . . and can't stand to have wet fur.

I am happy to report that I successfully got all the stuff off the wallpaper! Now I am just gonna keep a close eye on it and make sure I get to it quickly. I have thought about putting a piece of acrylic over that section of the wall. Don't think we are there yet.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 AM

OH yes... i recall our "face wiping" chat a while back.

luckily, Buddy still uses his pillow

Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
OH yes... i recall our "face wiping" chat a while back.

luckily, Buddy still uses his pillow
Yep, the "wipe yer face" phenomena, LOL!!!! I got towels that closely match the color of my sofa/l.s. and now I just toss them in the wash every few days and I stay happy and Miss Priss stays happy!!!! Not gonna break her from that habit . . . so we have learned to live with it!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 05:03 PM

OH Ani -- I just noticed.... it's a STICKY!! yay -- congrats on starting such a great, helpful thread!!

Terese

Old 03-30-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
OH Ani -- I just noticed.... it's a STICKY!! yay -- congrats on starting such a great, helpful thread!!

Terese
Thank you, TCS!!! Well, I gotta tell you . . . this thread has been invaluable for ME!!! I have gotten so many answers to questions I have had - some of them - things I have dealt with for years!

And so many people have taken time to give us all great ideas, leads on products, reviews on things they have used (and things that have NOT worked). I have learned so much on here . . . and I have actually changed many of my habits here at home - w/ the way I clean . . . the products I use.

So from a personal standpoint . . . I started this thread b/c I love to learn what others are doing - "There is always a better way!!!!"

And in the process . . . I believe it has been a helpful thread for many people . . . at least, I hope it has!

I used to wonder about things or just take a chance and purchase a cleaner or some cleaning tool . . . and HOPE it worked. I posted this b/f Christmas and now I find myself coming back . . . asking questions (and once in a while - answering some . . . ). So for me, this has been like a reference tool - and what is so neat - new people keep dropping in (as well as "old friends").

We keep sharing ideas . .. and I love seeing what all you other homemakers are thinking - or what you have found that works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House