Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 12:45 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,844 times

Advertisements

BTW, I only use a dry microfiber cloth on TV's and electronics. I use paintbrushes to dust mini blinds and knick-knacks, electronics, etc and anything needing fine detail. I also use either a paintbrush or rub a surgical glove over lampshades (especially accordian types) to get dust off. I don't use a vacuum on lampshades...just a glove or paintbrush.

The active ingredient in Barkeeper's Friend (my secret weapon for soap scum, hard water stains, etc on glass showers and stuck-on glasstop stoves) is rhubarb powder (oxalic acid). I sprinkle it on stainless steel sinks, porcelain, etc. and moisten it with a spray bottle of essential oils and filtered water to make a paste, then scrub with a microfiber cloth. You would not believe the difference!

I also make my own green cleaning recipes, such as a soft scrub and all-purpose cleaning solution.

A lot of people swear by using vinegar on laminate floors. Be careful, the pH of vinegar is not good for prolonged use on laminate. You are better off using a flat microfiber mop(like a Sh-mop) and spritzing filtered water (tap water tends to be too hard and streaks appear when dry) with some essential oils (there are many that are natural disinfectants such as eucalyptus) mixed in.

I especially love the trick of washing windows on that list I gave you...horizontal on one side and vertical on the other. That way you can identify which side has streaks if any appear.

Never line an oven with foil. It degrades the air flow and decreases efficiency of the oven. Use a wet pumice stone for toxic-free cleaning of the inside and racks....or use a baking powder paste and let sit for stuck-on messes.

I hope those tips are helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 12:48 PM

My recipe for soft scrub:

Equal parts of washing soda and borax.
Add to the above:
Three to four parts of baking soda
Enough liquid castile soap to mix into a frosting consistency
Essential oils of your choice

Use a mixer to whisk the above into a smooth frosting. Place in sealed container. Use on porcelain, stainless steel, glass, fiberglass, etc.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredMaid View Post
Those were tips from a colleague. I agree with some of what you added. In my business, we do green and all-natural cleaning using essential oils. I use pumice stones to clean ovens, stains on toilet bowls, etc. and don't use ANYTHING that is not green or natural. Her tips are a little more main stream than mine.

I never use sponges, but this audience probably does. I use microfiber cloths that are biodegradable. Everything is recycled!

I just thought I would pass it along for those on both sides of the fence.
TailoredMaid: Thank you so much for the tips! How generous of you to do that for us!!! And yes - the tips may be mainstream, but you know - one can modify. It is a wonderful list.

Now as for sponges - I do not use them and do not even have one in this house!!! They are a medium for bacteria growth! However, if I did have them - I would be spraying them daily w/ chorox and letting them sit - and I did see a tip for rinsing out a sponge and "cooking" it for 30 seconds or so in the microwave. However, I throw my scrubbies in the dishwasher and think that works pretty well.

Thanx again for sharing!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 05-18-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-21-2008, 06:20 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,777,124 times
Quote:
My recipe for soft scrub:

Equal parts of washing soda and borax.
Add to the above:
Three to four parts of baking soda
Enough liquid castile soap to mix into a frosting consistency
Essential oils of your choice
I've used Tea Tree Oil on floors.

actually i keep a small spray bottle of it, diluted or course, but it's a great antiseptic /antifungal

when the kids have been sick ... i spray down door knobs, sink faucets ... just about anything they would have touched.

I love tea tree oil ... it even cleared up a sinus infection...

Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
I've used Tea Tree Oil on floors.

actually i keep a small spray bottle of it, diluted or course, but it's a great antiseptic /antifungal

when the kids have been sick ... i spray down door knobs, sink faucets ... just about anything they would have touched.

I love tea tree oil ... it even cleared up a sinus infection...
Hi, TCS!!! Okay - got a question. The tea tree oil - it doesn't leave a film? How much do you use - like so many drops to a quart of water? Seems like a good way to kill germs.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:24 PM

Essential oils are the essence of the plant from which it is extracted. It is not "oily" or leave a residue.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:14 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Essential oils are the essence of the plant from which it is extracted. It is not "oily" or leave a residue.
Essential oils are oily. They are the concentrated extracted aromatic oils from various plants. Depending on the concentration, they can leave a residue. Usually they are used so diluted, that they do not.

There is only some actual testing done on essential oils. Being a natural compound they can't be patented and in our world if it can't be patented, little research will be done on it. Whether Tea Tree oil is an effective antiseptic is debatable. Usually, in a strong concentration there will be some antibacterial action, but in the very dilute concentrations we usually use, it can't be very effective. Strong concentrations of most essential oils can range from toxic to very irritating, so you are usually warned to dilute them a lot. People often make a claim that works in a very concentrated form but then does not in the more diluted form we actually use.

But there again, if you just clean surfaces so there is no visible dirt using some surfactant (vinegar!), you remove about 99% of all the germs. That's why simple hand washing is so effective in stopping germ transmission.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:30 PM

Thank you, Tesa! From my experience w/ essential oils, they are indeed oily, but that makes sense that when they are diluted so much they wouldn't have an oily feel to them. I was just concerned about getting something oily on my floors - but I guess it is a concentration of only a few drops to a quart of water. That is how I do lavendar essential oils - to spray on my doggie to cool her down and keep her from scratching in hot weather.

I had wondered if vinegar kills germs. I have used vinegar on my hardwood floors for about 25 years. (white vinegar and water).

I have friends who swear by tea tree oil for many medicinal uses, so I am going to try it out. I keep forgetting to pick some up!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:50 PM

I apologize for not being clear. I was referring to essential oils when mixed in water...there is not enough of it to create any residue. Even in a high concentration of 100 drops to 32 oz of water, it's SO diluted there is no film residue left behind.

I encourage those who use essential oils to research it fully. Some oils can be toxic or hazardous. For instance, lavendar oil is not recommended for contact with pregnant women.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:35 AM

Thank you for the info, TailoredMaid! Enjoy your posts . . . lots of good ideas.

I had never heard Lavender essential oil is not safe for pregnant women, either.

Do you prefer using diluted Tea Tree oil to vinegar on hardwood floors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House