Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 09:47 AM

201 posts, read 656,147 times

Advertisements

Just for clarification- I wouldn't normally care, but this carpet was brand-spankin' new when I moved in (and okay, for a few years of living on it- it looks great!) I might have to try the tea bag- that's an excellent suggestion! I used to work at homedepot and know all about cutting carpet...but really, I have no desire to do so...unless I absolutely have to. I actually talked to my landlord and she said that they would withhold 150 of my deposit to steam clean after I move out...

Thank you for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 11:49 AM

16 posts, read 162,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hey there, KF!!!

Okay - on the Zani Clean - is it like SoftScrub? Can you use it for stuff other than the sink?

PS - glad you found us, too!!! This is a great place to learn - and share!!!
Hi ya!

Zani Clean is a much denser paste than softscrub - yet, it's soft enough to easily dab into & apply with a damp sponge ....and although the container looks small, the stuff lasts for a VERY long time because you do not need to use much. My tub of Zani Clean usually lasts a year! The container it comes in looks like a medium sized margarine container, and there are 2 choices: original or scented (the scented one is a pinkish paste and the non-scented is more of a grayish paste. i've found zero difference between the two.)

And yes, you can most definitely use it for other stuff, just as any task you would with softscrub or just about any other cleaning product. I prefer zani clean over softscrub not only because it lasts wayyyy longer and works wayyyyy better, but also because it rinses off much easier and leaves behind a shine & what seems like a "seal." (i.e. when i use it on porceline sinks, water beads up as if it has been waxed ). Very awesome stuff!

Also: it easily removes scuff marks & stains from floors -as well as just about everything else i've tried it on. The only thing that beats Zani Clean is the Magic Eraser, only in the task of removing those stains off fridge/oven handles. I haven't found anything that works on those particular stains like the magic eraser does.

**OH, one thing: i am not sure if you can use Zani Clean on wood. That's the only surface i have not tried it on, only because i have been too afraid to. (If anyone here feels like being the guinea pig & see what it does to wood, i'd be very interested to hear the results! )

Thanks everyone for submitting all your great tips! I've learned a few things here!

AloooooHa!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:04 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Goldenplover, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Tide makes a "Tide-to-Go" Stain Remover stick with a felt tip about the size and shape of a magic marker. I have one in every suitcase I own and carry one in my purse & car. I really love this product.

If someone accidently gets some coffee or mustard on that nice white shirt, you know it's never coming out without immediate help!

That little Tide stick has a dry-cleaning fluid in it and takes out everything from that nasty coffee to ketchup and wine.

I would give it a try on the carpet! If that doesn't work, put a chair over it, because nothing else will probably work either.

Last edited by gemkeeper; 06-13-2008 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: corrected product name

Old 06-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Goldenplover, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Tide makes a "Tidestick" Stain Remover about the size and shape of a magic marker. I have one in every suitcase I own and carry one in my purse.

If someone accidently gets some coffee or mustard on that nice white shirt, you know it's never coming out without immediate help!

That little Tide stick has a dry-cleaning fluid in it and takes out everything from that nasty coffee to ketchup and wine.

I would give it a try on the carpet! If that doesn't work, put a chair over it, because nothing else will probably work either.
sadly...I tried it on the carpet (we swear by these at the law office I work at- well, where I used to work since I am moving ) - and a chair, large furniture won't cover it- if I put something there, the door won't open lol. Thank you though for the suggestion

Old 06-13-2008, 03:22 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
I was editing my post to correct the product name just as you were posting a quoted reply, goldenplover!

The stain stick is called "Tide-to-Go" and I own no shares in the company. But, I sure wish I did!

I sure hope that someone else comes up with a goodie that will help. It is always tough with a light-colored carpet, but they are so nice looking otherwise.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:57 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,844 times
Well, you could always bleach the rest of the room (I AM KIDDING!!!) to make it all match.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:16 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,535,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenplover View Post
sadly...I tried it on the carpet (we swear by these at the law office I work at- well, where I used to work since I am moving ) - and a chair, large furniture won't cover it- if I put something there, the door won't open lol. Thank you though for the suggestion
Well, since there are so many suggestions about how to get stains out, and they probably work, why not try to 'mix' something up that will match, and just stain it. I was also going to mention you might pose this or a similar question in the Renting forum and see what people may suggest there. That sounds fishy to me that she's going to charge you to steam clean the carpet-I assumed they always cleaned the carpets after someone moved out.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:38 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
Well, you could always bleach the rest of the room (I AM KIDDING!!!) to make it all match.
This might actually be the only real solution. Trying to match the color with a dye is nearly impossible to start with and then there is the problem of making that dye permanent in the carpet fiber so subsequent cleanings wouldn't take it right back out.

Remember, the problem was spilling bleach which removed the color - no amount of stain remover is going to fix it since there is nothing to remove from the fibers.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
This might actually be the only real solution. Trying to match the color with a dye is nearly impossible to start with and then there is the problem of making that dye permanent in the carpet fiber so subsequent cleanings wouldn't take it right back out.

Remember, the problem was spilling bleach which removed the color - no amount of stain remover is going to fix it since there is nothing to remove from the fibers.
That was my suggestion too. My thoughts exactly. Altho Id be hesitant if the carpet wasnt hosed. You never know how things will turn out. But I suppose you could try using a carpet cleaner with beach and water instead of cleaner.

Originally I assumed the OP was talkining about a huge spot but since they said its a tiny spot I think Id just steal a carpet plug from inside the closet and patch it.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
That was my suggestion too. My thoughts exactly. Altho Id be hesitant if the carpet wasnt hosed. You never know how things will turn out. But I suppose you could try using a carpet cleaner with beach and water instead of cleaner.

Originally I assumed the OP was talkining about a huge spot but since they said its a tiny spot I think Id just steal a carpet plug from inside the closet and patch it.
Ok all, Thank you for your help! I used the tea bags to "stain" it- it came out pretty close... I'll be much more careful in my next place! All were good suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House