Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:59 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,644,780 times

Advertisements

I'm on well water (94 foot deep) and wouldn't trade it for anything. I echo what others have stated that this issue can vary almost house to house depending on the area. I'd seek professional advice from a good well man and take it from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 12:25 AM

22,667 posts, read 24,635,434 times
Unsoftened well-water can do a number on your plumbing and everything connected to it.

I live in a place that is on unsoftened well-water...all of the toilets, shower-heads, valves, etc, etc are in pretty crummy shape due to all the mineral build-up.

The taste and smell of heavy water is pretty yucky...and getting anything really clean using heavy water is next to impossible.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Unsoftened well-water can do a number on your plumbing and everything connected to it.

I live in a place that is on unsoftened well-water...all of the toilets, shower-heads, valves, etc, etc are in pretty crummy shape due to all the mineral build-up.

The taste and smell of heavy water is pretty yucky...and getting anything really clean using heavy water is next to impossible.
Some areas have great well water.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:37 AM

19,823 posts, read 22,721,802 times
Quote:

Our first house had hard water. Limestone formation water.. A water softener cleaned that up, remarkably.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:22 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,250,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The city water in nearly all cases, comes from wells, just as with property with it's own wells.

In most cases, they are drawing water from the same source, unless the well water property is a considerable distance from a city.

We have well water, drawing from an aquifer that is under the area. To make it simple to understand, lets imagine there is a water holding basin under the area. The city draws water about 1/2 mile from our house, from this basin. We draw water from the same basin. Same water both places.

The city due to all the system, does chlorinate the water to keep it safely stored. We do not, as we only have about a 25 gallon pressure tank for storage, and it gets used a few times a day so in is constantly being replaced. Unlike the cit where some of the water in the system may be there for a considerable period of time. Anytime the water sites unused for 2 weeks, it needs to be chlorinated for safety. Our water tastes better, as it is not chlorinated and if you do not know what that is, is basically household bleach used for laundry, and cleaning. Otherwise it is exactly the same water as you get from the town system.

Advantage: Our water only costs for the electricity needed to pump the water. City water has a substantial cost each month.

Water in some areas of the country, has problems such as sulfur, iron, or other ingredient. If you do, a proper filter will get rid of it. We do not. Water from wells, needs tested on an annual basis to make sure it does not have any problems. The city water gets tested at least weekly to make sure it cannot be spreading disease, etc. If you draw water from the same source as the city does like we do, you can watch for any problems the city may announce, such as you need to boil your water at this time, etc.

As your wife is afraid of the well water, draw a bottle of water, take to the county health department or a lab they recommend and have the water tested for purity. You can have the well tested, to find if it can sustain the household without problems which is done by well services.
Poland Spring water actually comes from wells.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:59 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,310,890 times
I'm on a well.. Have the option for city water, but when I built, I didn't.. Well is something like 200ft. I'd have to look at the tag to be certain.

Lots of limestone in my well water. In fact, just last night I took the jug of CLR to my tub.. Breaks it down pretty quick.. The taste of my well water is fine.. Just get a fair amount of limestone buildup on some things.

Oh.. And most any time you're on a well, keep a stock of toilet drop-ins.. Preferably something that's got a lot of bleach.. You'll actually find mold/mildew/algae growing in your tank because the well water has absolutely no chlorine in it.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:31 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,635,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Some areas have great well water.

Coming from YOU, LOL, I will take that with a grain of salt.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Poland Spring water actually comes from wells.
Many brands of water comes from wells in Michigan.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:00 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
Most people I know would give their eye teeth to have a home like that.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Coming from YOU, LOL, I will take that with a grain of salt.
What does that mean???

I have drilled over 1200 water wells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House