Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:12 PM

419 posts, read 846,534 times

Advertisements

When a home is bought its closing date is pretty important and sometimes memorable. Even those who moved into rental homes remember the first day of their signed lease/move in.

Do you know the anniversary date of when you moved into your current home? Do you celebrate or acknowledge the date in any way? If so, please share how you mark the occasion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 01:16 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Mmmm... no. But yes, because it is my husband's birthday. His birthday takes precedence over the day we got the keys.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
When a home is bought its closing date is pretty important and sometimes memorable. Even those who moved into rental homes remember the first day of their signed lease/move in.

Do you know the anniversary date of when you moved into your current home? Do you celebrate or acknowledge the date in any way? If so, please share how you mark the occasion!
It's more memorable when the mortgage gets paid off

I have moved so many times and lived in so many houses that I'm lucky if I can remember the year, lol.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:01 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
No. Closing days are typically high stress, wondering if the bank and the seller have their act together and closing will Actually happen... which they sometimes don't so you go through it 3~4 times. It's a day Much better forgotten. Past tht, why would you Celebrate taking on a huge liability? Yeah! We're in HUGE debt now! Whee....

This sounds like something done by the same type of people who name their cars/vehicles.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Do you know the anniversary date of when you moved into your current home?
My parents "christened" each house. My siblings and I were all born 9 months later for each move. My father used his job transfer dates to figure out how old we were when it was our birthdays. If we asked him how old we were, he'd say, "You're Indiana" (or North Carolina, etc.), and then he'd do the math and tell us how old we were. I'm sure he was more aware of his career promotions and transfers than he was the actual date of purchasing the home.

Quote:
Do you celebrate or acknowledge the date in any way? If so, please share how you mark the occasion!
My husband and I had a mortgage burning party.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
No. Closing days are typically high stress, wondering if the bank and the seller have their act together and closing will Actually happen... which they sometimes don't so you go through it 3~4 times. It's a day Much better forgotten. Past tht, why would you Celebrate taking on a huge liability? Yeah! We're in HUGE debt now! Whee....

This sounds like something done by the same type of people who name their cars/vehicles.
A first time homebuyer whose purchase was a huge accomplishment would probably feel more like celebrating each year. My sister and her didn't buy her first home until she was in her mid-40s. They had filed bankruptcy in their early 20s due to my sister having incredible medical bills do to a very serious disease and experimental surgery that saved her life. They probably felt they would never own a home, but they rebuilt their credit and saved money. It took them 20 years before they finally became homeowners. They probably don't celebrate, but I can imagine people in situations similar to theirs might.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:41 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,572 times
Quote:

Don't forget to add moving day to the stress!

When we (wife and I) purchased our first home we felt an instant burdon on our shoulders. Not something we ever considered celebrating until we paid the house off.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:44 AM

106,664 posts, read 108,810,853 times
when we had the houses every day was the houses anniversary as there was always something we had to buy for it.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:46 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:

I have named every one of my vehicles but I don't have a mortgage or debts so what "type" of person does this make me?

Original Poster: I remember about the time we moved into this home but only because a friend's father passed away that weekend.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:15 AM

419 posts, read 846,534 times
My anniversary of closing/moving-in is approaching. Maybe I'll buy something for my home or bake a cake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House