Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times

Advertisements

vermont country store sold a product which I got, and put in the garage, the dog had sniffed them out. it was a trap with a hole which they would go in, the door would shut
then you could let them out. Me, I was too afraid, and would wait, and then they were gone dead. Yes, also I have read about steel wool to block any small hole. With regards to the cat. If these guys have been fed decon, and the cat did catch them, they could
die, I think that was how my cat died. Be careful with poison with the cats. the sticky traps work well, but! I did the pest guy thing also, all they did do was put down the sticky traps, and charge a few hundred dollars. with pets, and kids it was not legal to have poison down. Could you since it is a new house contact the builder? I was so dumb when I saw one, I put up a baby gate to keep it in the kitchen! Since then, I learned they can cawl into a dime size hole, and chew. they also breed like crazy. and go into the walls and die, and it stinks. Do not leave water around, and the cat food put it into an air tight place. they also go around the corners of rooms.
look for the so called droopings and see it you can find where they come in. I also had some that made a home in my honda.
The dealer took care of that, seems many people also had this problem. he put some kind of screen to keep them out.

Last edited by maggiekate; 01-01-2008 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 01:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,264,488 times
Trapping mice and letting them go does not solve the problem. They will just come right back. The snap traps are more humane than the sticky traps. It kills them instantly whereas in the sticky traps they starve to death or die of thirst.

I hate mices to pieces!

Old 01-01-2008, 01:55 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
I had a rat in my house, he came in through the garage, got into the attic somehow and then found his way to my kitchen via a hole in the wall where the gas line comes in.

I pulled the stove out and put down these trays that have this really sticky stuff on them, I put cat food in the corner and put the trays around it. I caught him the first night.

I never put down poison and I didn't want to deal with the traps that squash them.

I was told to fill the holes they could come in through. Get that expanding foam and put it in the holes. I was also told that in some cases its better to put rocks in the hole or steel wool and then spray in the foam. If you check around in places like I found, you will be surprised at the holes the workmen leave when they do their work. You could have driven a truck in through the hole where the gas line came in my house.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,264,488 times
Sticky traps do work, but they don't immediately kill. Can't blame you on the rat. ick!

Be careful with the expanding foam. Some kinds will expand so much they will break things. There are kinds that don't cause the damage - look at the label. The steel wool or metal screen keeps them from chewing back thru.

I had field rats that dug holes around my foundation when I first moved here. After the cats came and adopted me, they took care of the rats. (Good kitty!)

Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
I was told to fill the holes they could come in through. Get that expanding foam and put it in the holes. I was also told that in some cases its better to put rocks in the hole or steel wool and then spray in the foam. If you check around in places like I found, you will be surprised at the holes the workmen leave when they do their work. You could have driven a truck in through the hole where the gas line came in my house.
Yep. If you have a gas stove, stuff steel wool where the line comes in as that is a favorite entry point.

Also, see if any trees have branches that touch the roof. Rats and Squirrels can get onto the roof and then that way. Not sure about mice.

On the sadistic side, put out some flour. The mice eat it and then when the drink some water, the flour expands and chokes them. I prefer the ole fashioned snap traps.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
...After the cats came and adopted me, they took care of the rats.
Same here.
I never see a rat or mouse anymore.
Unless he looks like this:

http://home.pacbell.net/ptg701/kittymouse.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-02-2008, 12:19 PM

394 posts, read 2,003,758 times
Ewww! That would be a cute pic, without the mouse, though. LOL That cat looks like one of ours, we have four. And yes, we do get mice, in the fall and winter. I stepped on a dead mouse after getting out of bed the other morning. Mice will come in your house no matter if it is clean or dirty, especially when it's cold. They are just looking for shelter. We've found all sorts of entrances mice use here, and plugged them up with expanding foam as we find them. They were even climbing up the outside walls on one side of our house, and chewed an entrance hole into the attic. They are determined little creatures, and since we are surrounded by several acres of woods and streams we get a lot of mice. (and the occasional rat, too ) Our cats are pretty good at catching them and killing them, although they don't eat them. They just torture them to death. We have no basement under the addition we have on the back of the house, and the mice keep coming up through the floor in that room, through the baseboard heater we have along the floors. We just can't keep them out, they keep creating new entrances. My best advice is to find all the entrances, otherwise they will just keep on coming as fast as you can kill them off. And you are right, poison would be dangerous for your cats and toddler. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
...Our cats are pretty good at catching them and killing them, although they don't eat them. They just torture them to death...
After our cats are finished beating and torturing the mice, they reward themselves by eating what must evidently be the best parts - the head and tail.

A couple have escaped and they must have told the rest of them what's in store if they dare venture into the cats' territory because I rarely see any around anymore.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,075,064 times
Talking This is how you do it....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2524731-post5.html

Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
After our cats are finished beating and torturing the mice, they reward themselves by eating what must evidently be the best parts - the head and tail.

A couple have escaped and they must have told the rest of them what's in store if they dare venture into the cats' territory because I rarely see any around anymore.
I just LOVE cats. What a perfect companion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House