Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yep. If you have a gas stove, stuff steel wool where the line comes in as that is a favorite entry point.

Also, see if any trees have branches that touch the roof. Rats and Squirrels can get onto the roof and then that way. Not sure about mice.

On the sadistic side, put out some flour. The mice eat it and then when the drink some water, the flour expands and chokes them. I prefer the ole fashioned snap traps.
This is a new one, does it really work?

It seems like people have success with the electronic devices. I think I might try that. We get field mice that come in especially in the fall. I just figured that those devices were a hoax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:59 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,417 times
Default Question

I forgot to ask, about those devices are they okay to use around dogs? Because they are high frequency I was wondering if they could hear it or bother them.

Thanks

Old 01-18-2008, 07:49 AM

333 posts, read 1,064,047 times
My .02....

I agree with other posters. Glue traps work, but unless you have a heart of stone...it's terrible to see what happens to these guys. I don't want mice in my house either...but I certainly don't want to set up little torture devices!

As for poison...even if you don't have pets or children...mice will eat the poison...and then crawl up in the walls, etc. and die. Dead mice STINK.

Between my Mom, my two sisters, and myself...all building new construction various times over the last 6 or 7 years...all four of us have had mice. You've moved into the field that was once their home! The best way to get them is the old fashioned snap traps with some peanut butter. Also sad to clean up - but it's a fast way to go for them. Why do such pesty dirty little creatures have to be so darn cute?!?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
It did gross me out but if you only use the electronic device, you are going to drive them into someone else's house. The glue traps are the safest way of killing them that I know of.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:11 AM

333 posts, read 1,064,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
It did gross me out but if you only use the electronic device, you are going to drive them into someone else's house. The glue traps are the safest way of killing them that I know of.
...but the least humane. It's terrible.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelizePlease View Post
...but the least humane. It's terrible.
I am a VERY compassionate person in most cases but I just can't deal with rodents in my house. I had no choice. I certainly wasn't going to put down poison to kill them and endanger other animals that might eat the rodent while the poison was in them.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:24 AM

394 posts, read 2,003,758 times
I think the most humane way of killing them is the snap traps, it's quickest, if you are set on killing them. When we first moved into our house we had rats coming in the basement, which was horrifying to say the least. My dh bought sticky traps, and put them in the garage and basement. In the garage where we had one, a bat must have flown in while the door was open, we found a dead bat in one. A rat got caught in one up on ledge above the washing machine in the basement. He was screaming so loud, I ran downstairs and saw him gyrating madly on the sticky paper, and the whole thing flopped into the washing machine which was left open. I had to reach in and pull him out screaming, the sound was awful. I felt literally sick. My dh came down and I begged him to remove the poor creature from the tape. He thought I'd lost my mind. I put the poor rat and tape in a bucket, and poured skin-so-soft all over him hoping he'd come loose, but that stuff is like super glue. My dh finally drove the poor thing far away somewhere and threw him into some woods to die. I threw out every last glue trap, I will never put those in my house again. I can still hear the rat screaming in my head.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:57 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,264,488 times
Fingernail polish remover works to release the glue in sticky traps. My early use of them had a dog step in one and got her two front paws stuck. Poor dog was frantically flopping around which brought me down to find out what all the ruckus was about. She was down in the basement hunting the mice. It took some tries until I thought of the polish remover but that freed her up quickly. That was my last use of them and I went back to snap traps. I think it better to have a quick death - and death is needed or they just come right back and multiply like crazy . I've been known to toss the mouse and trap both. They are cheap.

But my preferred method is to let the cats take care of the problem.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:43 PM

Your making the assumption that snap traps kill them immediatly but they don't always. My Dad used to use them and would often find a mouse or rat trapped but still alive. He would take the victim and give it to the cats to play with.

I prefer the glue traps because they will even catch snakes which here in Florida we can get in the attic or garage. My own sanity demands these kinds of creatures not be allowed in the house.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,264,488 times
True enough. There is no perfect way. I have whacked an injured critter with a flat shovel to end the misery faster.

My cats seem to have this idea that if I had the mouse first, then it is mine and they wouldn't dream of taking it away from me! Sometimes they will gift me one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House