Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:27 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
For 11 grand, I think you should be able to get a patio AND a kitchen. Plus they're using pavers and sand? Those are cheap.

I'd definitely agree that you need to not damage the tree. Get more quotes. Unless you are using some really expensive and nice non-local stone, you can probably get a better price.
Thanks.
Yeah...i'm not getting an outdoor kitchen.

I'll take your advice on getting more quotes though.....a 1000 sq. ft. at 11k means 11 bucks a sq. ft. which based on my research is pretty low actually; but i'll keep exploring nonetheless.

I do like the idea of the wooden deck around the tree.....the pictures look pretty cool....the other part of the "patio" can remain pavers....and i think that might look cool together....

By the way, here are a couple of pictures from right when we had it done....in 2010.

Last edited by Thinking-man; 02-12-2015 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
I'll take your advice on getting more quotes though.....a 1000 sq. ft. at 11k means 11 bucks a sq. ft. which based on my research is pretty low actually; but i'll keep exploring nonetheless.
All depending on the materials. A nice outdoor kitchen could set you back $5K

Old 02-12-2015, 09:31 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Yes

Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
I see what you mean - while the area looks nice enough in the picture, that's not really outdoor living space, it's just a couple spots to sit for a bit. However, it's not really someplace you'd want to BBQ or entertain in.

When we had a house, we put in a huge paver patio and some low stone walls around flower beds. Best. Improvement. Ever. I was so glad we made it as large as we did - it made the space very useful, and yes - it made yard maintenance much faster and easier. It's hard to put a price on the truly lovely times we spent out there with friends and family, soaking up the rare Pac NW sun, enjoying a beautiful evening quietly at home while the sun set, lighting the torches as it got dark, and just enjoying our outdoor space as much as our indoor one. If that's what you want, then it's definitely worth it.

When we did sell the house, I don't know that it made the price much better, but we did get feedback that the outdoor space was one of the main selling points (but of course the inside was in tip top shape, and it was priced right - I doubt it would have been that big of a selling point on its own).

Old 02-12-2015, 10:52 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Now that you've posted pictures, it looks as though you're putting this area at the far end of the yard away from the house. I wouldn't do that. A nice patio is, in most areas, far more valuable if it's near the house - specifically near the kitchen. You might have a reason for putting it far away but in my experience they tend to get used more if they're near an entrance. If shade is an issue, I'd correct that rather than building 100 steps across the lawn.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:38 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Now that you've posted pictures, it looks as though you're putting this area at the far end of the yard away from the house. I wouldn't do that. A nice patio is, in most areas, far more valuable if it's near the house - specifically near the kitchen. You might have a reason for putting it far away but in my experience they tend to get used more if they're near an entrance. If shade is an issue, I'd correct that rather than building 100 steps across the lawn.
That's just a terrible idea to patio that area by the fence. I can see doing that if the green grass area is replaced by a pool but if it was me, I wouldn't touch any of what's there already.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:24 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Well I just looked at homewyse and you are right, it says $10k for 1000 sqft of pavers is a low estimate. I am truly surprised at the (high) price.

What do you have right next to your house that is closer/more accessible without having to walk all the way to the back of the yard?

My old home had an area just like that (not as nice) at the far end of the yard with rear neighbor fence which we mulched. We also had a patio directly to the rear of the home where we spent 100% of our outside time.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:25 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
10 grand is a lot of money. Are those marble pavers?
Yes. they're marble nuggets....

Old 02-13-2015, 12:32 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
I wouldn't put it so far from the house.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:28 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
yes, that's a good point....one that i raised when talking to him initially.....
the tree is about 100 ft tall....about 2 ft in diameter.
He said that he doesn't think the pavers will get impacted and that he'll be digging a few extra inches as a precaution. i can not lose this tree....so i'm not sure if i'll be taking that chance. good point again. thanks.

Currently, around the tree, i have semi-circle made with pavers on the edges, and white marble/rocks type stones within the area. It looks good when clean, but it's a b*tch to walk on, and cleaning is difficult too.

Any other ideas if i go the same route and decide to re-do the edges to make it look uniform with the next pavers on the right, while instead of paving around the tree, putting something else that's easier to maintain and won't damage the tree?
Yes...You do need to bring that whole area out from under your trees....You have that whole corner of your yard that you could utilize for your patio, with a fire pit in the middle...and seating.....bring it all out away from those trees.....here is one link....for some ideas https://www.google.com/search?q=pati...s%3B1280%3B960

The area you are now calling your fire pit area should just be incorporated into your landscaping.....or a child's gym set could be sitting out towards that corner...or a water feature....But....your patio area should be coming off your entrance in the back of your home....unless you opt to have it in the middle of your yard.......

Last edited by JanND; 02-13-2015 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House