Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 04:05 PM

671 posts, read 901,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
$550K? That would be extreme fixer territory in my area. You probably need to replace the heating, plumbing, electrical, roof, windows, siding, drainage, insulation and perhaps shore up the foundation a bit before putting any money into something fancy like a patio.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 05:37 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,079,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
lol
Lest you think I'm kidding, neither house had much in the way of updated systems or finishes:

For $539K, has a 6" slope from one side of the house to the other:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/23...17/home/289741

For $669K, has noticeable sloping and water intrusion issues:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/32...17/home/289153

The latter one has a few updates that might be comparable to an "$11K patio" - new floors, etc but it needs everything else. There just aren't many good deals in this price range anymore. Everything needs a ton of work.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:04 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,299,404 times
Quote:
Lest you think I'm kidding, neither house had much in the way of updated systems or finishes:

The latter one has a few updates that might be comparable to an "$11K patio" - new floors, etc but it needs everything else. There just aren't many good deals in this price range anymore. Everything needs a ton of work.
My house was essentially rebuilt 6 years ago by the previous owner before we bought it. All the items you mentioned are 6 years old or newer.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
My house was essentially rebuilt 6 years ago by the previous owner before we bought it. All the items you mentioned are 6 years old or newer.
Location matters when considering projects like this.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Location matters when considering projects like this.
Thanks captain obvious! lol

Old 02-14-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Thanks captain obvious! lol
I don't see any indication that you knew this.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I don't see any indication that you knew this.
That's why I said thanks....captain obvious.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:51 AM

671 posts, read 901,302 times
Quote:

I'll apologize. I missed your first post in this topic about %. I read your second post and didn't think it contributed to the topic, but was more just a brag. However, after seeing your first post, I realize that wasn't the case. My bad.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
I'll apologize. I missed your first post in this topic about %. I read your second post and didn't think it contributed to the topic, but was more just a brag. However, after seeing your first post, I realize that wasn't the case. My bad.

I'm just kind of puzzled about OP's decision making process on this. At least he got some useful feedback about where to put the patio from multiple posters.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $11K to add patio space since my house already has too much of it, so much that I've removed a bunch already. That obviously has no bearing on his decision.

Questions about what materials to use, raised deck vs at grade patio, etc... depend heavily on the local climate and individual layout of the yard. It's difficult to give useful feedback without knowing this stuff.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:06 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
I'm just kind of puzzled about OP's decision making process on this. At least he got some useful feedback about where to put the patio from multiple posters.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $11K to add patio space since my house already has too much of it, so much that I've removed a bunch already. That obviously has no bearing on his decision.

Questions about what materials to use, raised deck vs at grade patio, etc... depend heavily on the local climate and individual layout of the yard. It's difficult to give useful feedback without knowing this stuff.
And bragging about how overpriced your area is does not help the OP at all. And this is coming from someone who also lives in an overpriced area.

OP, as you know, it's all relative.

What we need is a diagram of your backyard and house. The photos help tremendously because they tell me two things: 1) That is not a 100-year-old tree, and 2) You could improve that area for much less than $11K.

I agree that to make an entertaining space truly valuable, it needs to be right out the back door. What is happening there, next to the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House