Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we have a .25 acre lot where our 3k sqft house sits on. our backyard is decent size, fenced in and plenty of fruit trees. The corner of our backyard has a firepit, and sort of a patio area, closed in via pavers on the edges, done by a company about 4 years ago.

I have an estimate from a contractor to put pavers around a big tree we have, and connect it via a step to the existing corner area i mentioned. the area will be about 1050 sq. ft. and he will put pavers in the whole area, including a firepit.

Our house is paid off, with no other expense, and we've lived here for about 6 years.....we don't have an immediate plan to sell and move, but with 2 small kids, and another on the way, our 4 bedroom house might feel crammed soon.

Any thoughts and ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 08:48 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Spend the money if you think you will enjoy it before moving but don't plan to recover it in a sale. Good landscaping can really aid in selling a property but has little impact on price.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:50 AM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
We use our patio plenty and have zero regrets.
Honestly, though, only you know if it is worth it for you.

Will you still have grassy areas for the kids to play?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Spend the money if you think you will enjoy it before moving but don't plan to recover it in a sale. Good landscaping can really aid in selling a property but has little impact on price.
thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We use our patio plenty and have zero regrets.
Honestly, though, only you know if it is worth it for you.

Will you still have grassy areas for the kids to play?
Yes. plenty. the project will really be just a modification of what we currently have in place....it'll just be done "right"....with better material, pavers instead of the mulch (currently, only the edges have pavers....the rest of mulch that looks like SH*&$)

Old 02-12-2015, 10:27 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
"putting pavers around a big tree"

No! You'll either kill the tree, or you'll be cussin' the contractor because the pavers keep getting uneven (not he's fault)because of the tree roots. And adding additional base for pavers is just smothering the roots- making the tree die faster!

Spend the money on an outdoor kitchen(?)

Old 02-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"putting pavers around a big tree"

No! You'll either kill the tree, or you'll be cussin' the contractor because the pavers keep getting uneven (not he's fault)because of the tree roots. And adding additional base for pavers is just smothering the roots- making the tree die faster!

Spend the money on an outdoor kitchen(?)

yes, that's a good point....one that i raised when talking to him initially.....
the tree is about 100 ft tall....about 2 ft in diameter.
He said that he doesn't think the pavers will get impacted and that he'll be digging a few extra inches as a precaution. i can not lose this tree....so i'm not sure if i'll be taking that chance. good point again. thanks.

Currently, around the tree, i have semi-circle made with pavers on the edges, and white marble/rocks type stones within the area. It looks good when clean, but it's a b*tch to walk on, and cleaning is difficult too.

Any other ideas if i go the same route and decide to re-do the edges to make it look uniform with the next pavers on the right, while instead of paving around the tree, putting something else that's easier to maintain and won't damage the tree?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:08 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I can just about guarantee the tree isn't 100' tall with that size bole. 50' to 70' would be an expected size. FWIW, because of wind concerns and small lot size, I might cut that tree and plant something more in scale and far enough away from the house that it couldn't damage it if it fell.

What most people don't understand is that most roots are near the surface, breathe and cannot be covered over, sunken or heavily mulched without stressing or killing the tree. The tap root is only one part of the root system.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:16 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I had the same worry about the tree perhaps not getting the water, air, etc., it needs, and the roots buckling up the pavers.

Would it look too weird to put a raised deck around the tree? Even if the deck was just off the ground a foot or so? You could use that nice decking material that is made out of vinyl/plastic so it won't need to be fussed with constantly or splinter anyone, and they make really nice stuff now that looks like wood.

Here's a site with some photos of decks around trees:

http://www.hickorydickorydecks.ca/ga...ng-around.html

Old 02-12-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I had the same worry about the tree perhaps not getting the water, air, etc., it needs, and the roots buckling up the pavers.

Would it look too weird to put a raised deck around the tree? Even if the deck was just off the ground a foot or so? You could use that nice decking material that is made out of vinyl/plastic so it won't need to be fussed with constantly or splinter anyone, and they make really nice stuff now that looks like wood.

Here's a site with some photos of decks around trees:

This deck combines both stone and traditional low maintenance decking.
Wow, that's really cool!
thanks for the link!

Old 02-12-2015, 12:19 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
How about doing it yourself and save a lot of money ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House