Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 01:45 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times

Advertisements

I'm glad there are many others like me. i am a single gal, living in a 3-level TH in a family-based neighborhood. I should know when someone's coming to my home. When the doorbell rings unexpectidly, I'm guaranteed to be unprepared to open it. I'm almost always undressed, but I could be in the backyard, in the shower, etc.

I did have this bite me in the butt once. One night, I received a knock on my door. I was, of course, alone and I was kind of freaked about this unexpected knock. I didn't even look out the curtains. The next day, I found out that I'd left my car window down while it rained. My neighbor was trying to let me know. I felt like a goof, but I still don't like unexpected knocks...especially at night. I've opened the door during the daytime, but it's still annoying. This situation with the neighbor happened when I was still new to the neighborhood. After that, I made sure to give my phone number to the neighbors I trust and interact with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 01:48 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Well to each his own, but I have 2 dogs and I got them for companionship, not for people to feel unwelcome around me. In fact I could care less about their opinion with ANYTHING, they're simply dogs with the IQ of a molecule. I don't want their opinion about someone at the door, I will make that decision, not some furball.

Having dogs for the purpose of intimidation is pointless. A criminal can simply shoot it. If it charges a cop they WILL shoot it, as well they should. If it barks at everything in the world it becomes a neighborhood nuisance far worse than any Jehovah Witness, and as neighborly as I am to people I'm nothing like that with respect to nuisance dog barking. You WILL be getting a visit from me, or even the sheriff, if it doesn't stop.
You just don't get it. I'm not sure if you are purposely obstinate, or if you choose to be obtuse.

I - me - myself - get to decide whom I open the door for. Not you. Not my dog. Not some salesperson walking down the street.

Sure, a criminal can shoot my dog. Then I can shoot that criminal. And I will.

My dog won't charge...but a criminal won't know that by the sound of the bark through the door. And no, my dog doesn't bark all day. Only when someone is AT the door. Don't like the sound of my dog barking? Step off my property. He'll stop.

And sorry, if some stranger shows up at my door wanting a jump start, he's not getting it. I won't answer the door for a stranger.

If a neighbor shows up wanting a jump start, I'll call AAA. That's why I pay for it - to use it when necessary.

Me refusing to answer the door for STRANGERS is NOT the cause of tornadoes and wildfires.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-31-2015 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 03:23 PM

672 posts, read 847,660 times
If you knock on my door and you didn't call ahead of time to let me know that you were coming, the door is not getting opened.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post

I have one of these but have not installed it yet. I backed it on Kickstarter.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:14 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
You just don't get it. I'm not sure if you are purposely obstinate, or if you choose to be obtuse.

I - me - myself - get to decide whom I open the door for. Not you. Not my dog. Not some salesperson walking down the street.

Sure, a criminal can shoot my dog. Then I can shoot that criminal. And I will.

My dog won't charge...but a criminal won't know that by the sound of the bark through the door. And no, my dog doesn't bark all day. Only when someone is AT the door. Don't like the sound of my dog barking? Step off my property. He'll stop.

And sorry, if some stranger shows up at my door wanting a jump start, he's not getting it. I won't answer the door for a stranger.

If a neighbor shows up wanting a jump start, I'll call AAA. That's why I pay for it - to use it when necessary.

Me refusing to answer the door for STRANGERS is NOT the cause of tornadoes and wildfires.
Oh I totally get it. Selfishness is easy to spot. The refusal to provide a jump start that interrupts you for, what, 5 minutes, is especially quite blunt, and nothing to be the least bit proud of. AAA will take a lot longer and you only get so many per year, they're best preserved for when you have to or else.

Me--I'll gladly provide a jump, and so should anybody unless they're really old and frail etc, in which case it's actually very understandable. Heck a jump start probably would get done by a good Samaritan faster than the phone call to AAA would take, and that benefits the good Samaritan as well as the stranded motorist.

Last edited by shyguylh; 03-31-2015 at 06:23 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Oh I totally get it. Selfishness is easy to spot. The refusal to provide a jump start that interrupts you for, what, 5 minutes, is especially quite blunt, and nothing to be the least bit proud of. AAA will take a lot longer and you only get so many per year, they're best preserved for when you have to or else.

Me--I'll gladly provide a jump, and so should anybody unless they're really old and frail etc, in which case it's actually very understandable. Heck a jump start probably would get done by a good Samaritan faster than the phone call to AAA would take, and that benefits the good Samaritan as well as the stranded motorist.
Eh, whatever. You will never understand. Let's hope your wife never opens her door to a stranger when she is home alone and something bad happens. Personally, I refuse to take that chance.

I have NEVER used all my AAA calls per year. In fact, most years, I never call them. I never have to for my car, as I drive a reliable (newer) vehicle. The last time I had to call was when it was about -25 F and my son's 20 year old car, which had not been started in a month, would not turn over. It took AAA all of 10 minutes to arrive. They brought their handy little charger into the garage, hooked it up, and voila! A start was had. Now if I would have had to jump it, we would have had to physically push the non-starting car out (and I have a rather sloped driveway, so THAT would have been interesting), reposition my car, hook things up, and etc.

If preserving my safety is being selfish, then call me selfish. I call it common sense and being prudent.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:03 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Back in 2008 when my husband had his life altering cancer surgery in Houston at MD Anderson, my MIL and I had been at the hospital since 5:30AM. Hubby spent 17 hours in surgery. The surgery was so long that we got thrown out of the waiting room. We were not about to leave until we knew he was ok. Finally, we saw him being wheeled to the ICU and the surgeon was with him. He said we should go home because he was in an induced coma and would not wake up for hours.

We wobbled out to the parking garage only to find some guy asking for a jump. I was so exhausted and raw I could not even consider jumping him. I just told him to go inside and call security. I do not feel the list bit guilty about this.

Sometimes you just have too much going on in your own life to handle helping others.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:17 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:

But you don't want the person ahead of you in the checkout line to use coupons or write a check for their purchase. You're some piece of work, shyguylh

Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 PM

483 posts, read 691,865 times
If I (NYC resident) shout out “Who is it?!”, the only constructive thing I’m likely to hear is “Me llamo Elsa!”

Elsa, of course, is one (I say “one”, the temple is just down the block from me) of the primary assigned Jehovah’s Witnesses to my building.

The upstairs neighbor, has some friend/family member who makes me jump just about nightly/post-midnight ringing my bell. They must have fingers the size of kielbasa, as no one else ever has the problem and it’s always (eventually) followed by the sound of pounding feet on the ceiling above me, running to let in Mr. Ham-Handed.

Every once in a while it’ll be the postman or UPS, but that’s what the windows are for – to see his truck.

On what seems like a daily basis even if it’s only monthly, those punk kids trying to get me to change my electricity purveyor to some fly by night are hammering on the door. That's not counting the twice-monthly scheduled visits by the exterminator (at least he hollers who he is), or the motion-sensor-alarm people (but they don't call me anymore because I succumbed to their blandishments before, because I have their sticker).

In NYC, it’s possible one of your oldest friends lives 25 miles away from you, owns no car, and needs 90 minutes one-way to get to you on public transportation. They aren’t "dropping in" on me. Yes, I’d relish talking to a friend and don’t relish talking to a stranger. I’m an introvert. So sue me. Maybe I should not live in the city just because strangers have the temerity to constantly ring my doorbell! Makes about as much sense as saying I’m beholden to open the door constantly. (Item: How many times would one have to speak to a soliciting JW, before they were simply deemed a Jehovah’s Witness by attrition? I’m sure Elsa has to write down somewhere every time she talks to someone and report back.)

Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Even after several examples were provided to possible situations where you have already invaded someone's privacy (when you have to cooperate in the resolution), you still keep braggging about not letting anyone disturbing your privacy. If you have done something bad (maybe unintentionally) and refuse to resolve it (simply by not even listening to what problems you caused), then dont be surprised if they will have to use harsher means in resolving the matter. For example getting your car towed, throwing the garbage back to you, or suing you.
Privacy ends where responsibility starts. You have rights AND responsibilities, not just rights.

About throwing their letter on the ground: there was nowhere else to put it. As I explained their mailbox was not an open type, but a closed community mailbox grid, around 30 boxes in one block. If you dont have the mailman's key, then there is no way to put anything in it. Limited brains cannot understand the technicality of things.

"Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." Your initial account of the scenario spoke volumes about your attitude, and yet you have the audacity to criticize others about theirs.

Push it into the crevice of the door frame or tuck it between the door and the frame - don't just throw it on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House