Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,295,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I don't like tile either. It's hard on my feet & back when standing for long periods of time. I've experienced this while visiting people with tile flooring.

I had laminate put in my kitchen 10 years ago and it's held up VERY well. Very easy to keep clean. I just use my vacuum. Have never washed/mopped the whole floor--just random spills or doggy foot prints.

My two negatives about laminate are cold in winter & noisy to walk on. I don't wear shoes in my home so that cuts down on a lot of noise. But in the winter, the floor is cold.

Positives are cheap, durable, dog friendly, easy to keep clean, Corelle & glassware don't shatter when dropped, forgiving on feet/back when standing for long periods of time. Plus I love the pitter patter of my dogs toenails as she walks across the floor.

I added a basement bathroom and remodeled my entryway from the garage & my laundry room last fall. I chose Earthwerks LVT for flooring. It's warmer & a little softer to walk on than my laminate but it seems noisier--kind of that hollow sound. It's also a floating floor. So if water damage occurs, it should be relatively easy to replace a few pieces rather than the whole floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 12:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,238,718 times
I have an issue with anyone who says "such and such (fill in the blank) is the ONLY way to go" or "the BEST way to go." No - this simply isn't true. Homes and individuals and tastes and styles and preferences are so different that this is sort of a ridiculous way of looking at things - not to mention it can be offensive.

I have my own very valid reasons for choosing the flooring that I have in my renovated kitchen, and personally I believe we made the very best choice - for US. For OUR kitchen and OUR lifestyle and OUR "look." I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to assume that this choice would be the best for everyone, or that if someone didn't choose this, they're "settling" or just don't know what's actually best.

That being said, I think it's more than fair for us to share personal likes and dislikes about various options - as long as we keep in mind that others' experiences and opinions may differ - and that's perfectly fine.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I love hardwood flooring in the kitchen - In my opinion that is the best option.

Tile is too hard on the back and legs.
It's the best option for YOU.

It's not the best option for me.

And tile is too hard on YOUR back and legs. Not mine.

So see how everyone is different?

I'm not trying to pick a fight - just trying to make a point. It's easy to assume or slide into stating that our personal preference is the best option for everyone, when the reality is that it may be a great option for some people - in fact, it may be the BEST option for some people - but it's certainly not the best option for everyone.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Cork, or hardwood finished in place are the only way to go.

Even melamine shatters on tile. I've only lived in one house with a tiled kitchen. We weren't even there a year and I ended up at the podiatrist!
You mean the only way to go for you, right? Surely not for everyone, or even most people. Some people. In some homes.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:10 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,548,974 times
I'll never have a hardwood floor in my kitchen. Ever. It's easy to clean, durable, and doesn't warp, dent, whatever. Down here, many houses have tile in the wet areas, and for good reason. Dirty grout is simply solved by sealing with a good sealer and picking the right grout. For the life of me I don't know why people choose white grout. But even white grout will hold up if it is properly sealed.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:41 PM

2,586 posts, read 2,086,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I live in a van down by the river...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
so....... shag carpet?

Shag all around ... floor, walls and ceiling ... and a Pink Floyd mural on the outside.

Yeah, I miss the '70s at times.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:51 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,586,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's the best option for YOU.

It's not the best option for me.

And tile is too hard on YOUR back and legs. Not mine.

So see how everyone is different?

I'm not trying to pick a fight - just trying to make a point. It's easy to assume or slide into stating that our personal preference is the best option for everyone, when the reality is that it may be a great option for some people - in fact, it may be the BEST option for some people - but it's certainly not the best option for everyone.
If you read my post you will see I said "In my opinion"....

Old 04-23-2015, 03:26 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,276,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We remodeled the kitchen a year and a half ago and I didn't replace the floor because I had maxxed out my budget. Then we had a couple of unplanned medical expenses and we are finally now getting over the hump and I want to re-do the kitchen floor.

The current floor is tile and besides being installed poorly, there are pieces that don't match so keeping the floor is not an option.

It's a galley kitchen - smallish - flanked by two eating areas, one formal, one breakfast, and both have the wood flooring that was there when we moved in. It appears to be bamboo and it scratches and dents easily. I don't want that in my kitchen plus I doubt I could match it anyway.

I'm not a big fan of tile, it's hard and keeping the grout clean in the kitchen (did I mention I am a messy cook?) is difficult.

Anyone have flooring recommendations for the kitchen? What do you have and do you like it?

Maybe some jelly and some bacon grease on the linoleum.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,106,558 times
Currently our kitchen floor has a spot of sunshine which seems to have spontaneously generated a sleeping cat.

Unfortunately, it's some really old roll vinyl with the edges curling up. Other than that, though it's in pretty decent shape for it's age. I may just put some quarter round trim around the floor edges to nail the edges down and call it good enough. The roll vinyl is glued down to the wooden floor beneath (planks, not boards, what a pity) so getting that floor up will be a nightmare. Otherwise, I'd probably scrape off the vinyl and refinish the planks below. But, this may not be anything you'd want to duplicate in your own kitchen.

You may want to consider the kitchen floor construction when choosing the flooring, too. If it's a wooden floor on wooden joists, there can be more flex than you'd want for a tile floor. If it is a concrete floor, those are very hard and unyielding, which can be uncomfortable to stand on for any length of time for some folks. So, sometimes the flooring is chosen to help offset some of the construction method drawbacks as well as be aesthetic and sanitary.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:24 PM

4,352 posts, read 4,741,687 times
Hardwood on the entire first floor including the kitchen (open concept). Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House