Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:23 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,365,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Wish I could find folks that are stupid enough to pay the prices they charge for simple remodeling.
Where I live those prices are quite reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 09:10 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,433,224 times
The show is Canadian, and Canadian property prices are way out of line with those in the US. People living in the big cities in the US might be able to sympathize with them while the rest of us sit here and think $1M for that !!

This show along with Love it or list it seem to have the same sort of formula

A couple don't like the home they are living in, or they want better. In comes designer and shows them all the wonderful things they can do. Meanwhile realtor is showing them homes that are either unsuitable or out of their price range.
Back at home ... Oh no! Something came up that we didn't expect so now you have to come up with more money .......... and on and on.
These people seem quite happy to buy / renovate homes without having home inspections done and then are shocked at the extra work that needed doing. Very strange if you ask me.

The end results are usually good though sometimes a little generic.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:18 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times
It doesn't hurt that they're easy on the eyes.

If you see one show, you've seen them all. Same format. Every house gets the HGTV McModern treatment.

Entertaining nonetheless.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:28 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
The Canadian dollar is worth about 0.75 times the US dollar, so 400,000 canadian would be 300,000 US. And we know that the same house in the US can vary 3 or 4 times its value based on where it is located, so I'm sure there is tons of variation throughout Canada as well.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:43 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,550,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Back at home ... Oh no! Something came up that we didn't expect so now you have to come up with more money .......... and on and on.
These people seem quite happy to buy / renovate homes without having home inspections done and then are shocked at the extra work that needed doing. Very strange if you ask me. .

That's the fun part of the show. They always find a major problem. It's like they run around seeding homes with mold prior to ripping down the walls

Old 11-04-2015, 10:44 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
I love the way the homes look and the banter between the hosts. I record and binge watch.

I wish they would come and help us fix up our house to sell and remodel a new home. Do they ever leave Canada?

Old 11-04-2015, 11:24 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,677,955 times
Property Brothers is my favorite "house" show. The one I CAN'T stand is "Love it or List it." I especially dislike the "acting" and arrogance of both of the "stars." Property Brothers is more realistic versus the House Hunters. I find it a little unbelievable that many of these young couples are looking for expensive homes or second homes.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:44 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,669,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Its likely a team of people and animators working on that thing you see on the ipad, along with the rest of the show. The shows make everything look simple. They never show you the 50 people it took to make the show.
I'd like to be able to get that software.

On the other hand, since they never say anything like, "Let's use our [BRAND NAME] rendering software to preview what your house will look like" I suspect that a program that will do what their animation does may not actually exist.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:24 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,910,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'd like to be able to get that software.

On the other hand, since they never say anything like, "Let's use our [BRAND NAME] rendering software to preview what your house will look like" I suspect that a program that will do what their animation does may not actually exist.
I doubt that they are able to create the design and 3D model with textures on an iPad but I have CAD software, Vectorworks, (I am an architectural designer and create 3D models for analysis, construction documents and presentation) that also runs on the cloud, and am able to open up that file and do walk-throughs and flyovers of a rendered model on a mobile device. I haven't watched the show that much and it looks like it could be the same but am not sure.

As far as the Property Brothers go, I understand the entertainment content of the show with the staged segments and the (at least here in California) unrealistic budgets, but I find their designs to be incredibly formulaic: Knock down all the walls in the main living space in every house regardless of its individual design, layout or era of construction, plop in a contemporary kitchen, "spa-like" master bath and furnish it as if it's being staged to sell. Every one of their designs looks pretty much identical to me.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:28 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Property Brothers is my favorite "house" show. The one I CAN'T stand is "Love it or List it." I especially dislike the "acting" and arrogance of both of the "stars." Property Brothers is more realistic versus the House Hunters. I find it a little unbelievable that many of these young couples are looking for expensive homes or second homes.
If it's the obnoxious hosts, I watch it with the sound. That schtick gets old in a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House