Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:43 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,292,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The thing that bugs me the most about that show and most of the other home shows is that they always seem to do the same thing. They take a beautiful old house that needs some TLC and start knocking down walls, taking out claw foot bathtubs and very cool old fixtures and remodel it to look like it was just built. If you want a house that looks new, than buy a new house! I can't tell you how many times I sat cringing, watching while they ruined a beautiful old house. Open floor plans are not for everyone and even may be a passing fad, yet that's really all they do. It's the same thing with the kitchens. Beautiful old cabinets that need some refinishing are torn out and beautiful classic tile countertops and back splashes are demolished. They've even torn out lovely old hard wood floor and replaced them with laminate, LOL. What a pity.
One of the shows I will watch is Rehab Addict because it seems she at least tries to keep the old houses as original as possible.

Many of times I am yelling at the t.v. "NOOOOOOO!!!! DON'T DO THAT!!!!!" They really know how to take the charm out of old houses. It is a shame.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:14 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,253,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
The best is they having bidding wars for these garbage properties. It is comical. Also most of the properties they go over asking. Hysterical.
Then you probably don't understand what real estate market they're working in (I know this show goes to a few different cities). If you live in a desirable city where prices are high, you may only have "garbage properties" within your budget. If you live in Wichita, you probably wouldn't understand.

I like this show, but it seems like HGTV these days is ONLY these guys, and house hunters. And a couple "flipping" shows. What happened to the variety?

Old 11-05-2015, 12:30 PM

1,185 posts, read 805,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I like the Property Brothers, too but you see one show, you have seen them all. What really gets me is that at the beginning of the show, they always show the people a house they can't afford and they are always surprised at that. Don't they ever watch the show to know they are going to be shown a house they can't afford? I'm waiting for someone to say, "Oh, is this the time you show us something we can't afford?"

And they ALWAYS have to take out a wall somewhere in the house.

Cat
Oh I know at first I thought it was mean to do that too but some people on there need a reality check

I have $400K but my needs are like $1 million dollar

Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Its likely a team of people and animators working on that thing you see on the ipad, along with the rest of the show. The shows make everything look simple. They never show you the 50 people it took to make the show.
You're right. They most likely have the best designers etc

Old 11-05-2015, 12:34 PM

The other funny part is that they always show the construction brother (forgot his name) with nice jeans and clothes working. His hands are never dirty, his hair is perfect even after 'working' .

I think he is just the manager that subcontracts the work to be done but I'm sure he also knows a lot about construction.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I love it.

That's not saying much.

This is the best show on HGTV.
I love Rehab Addict. What I like best is she respects the era of the house. She doesn't gut that old bathroom with the old tile, but restores it She adds a closet when there is none, and replaces old windows if they are not in good repair, but the spirit of the time is still with these homes. One of my favorite was the large victorian she bought as a special project. She kept and restored the true victorian style, including the formal parlor and utilized the butler's pantry without removing it. The people who bought it wanted authentic, and she gave them restored authentic.

I hate seeing these classic old houses hacked to pieces inside where all of the old classic that's left is the shell outside.

I'd love to see someone look at a house and say they'd like a wall added since they prefer the kitchen be closed off as its own room, and they also want a family room that's a room. Mom always kept the living room 'nice' and we hardly ever used it except to walk through. The master bath was turned into a den and that's where we did everything else, and if it was messy then you just shut the door.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:23 PM

This season 4, I think that 6 of these shows were in Atlanta and the rest of the 7 are being done in Toronto.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:38 PM

18,480 posts, read 31,670,709 times
I am actually sick of the brothers. I feel like every time I turn the TV on, they are on. I also do not find them appealing to look at either, and bad enough one, but 2, ugh !

Its always the same thing like many of the posters have already stated.

lets open it up.

id love it one time if they "opened it up", and it came crashing down.
that would be so much fun !!

Old 11-05-2015, 01:57 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,412,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
You're right. They most likely have the best designers etc

Nope. only the on-camera talent gets paid decent money. The graphics team is likely based in S. America, India or China and knocking those out for $150 a piece.

I worked on one of the Extreme Home Makeover projects a few years ago. They built the bulk of the house in a warehouse off-site a couple months ahead of time and just transported it to the site for the camera crews to put everything together like a model kit after the concrete work was finished. Framing walls were all premade. They had 6 build sites going on at the same time around the SE region.
The reveals of the appliance/flooring trucks arriving on site were always coming from the staging warehouse and never from the actual suppliers.

A team of 6 3d modelers/animators worked on the graphics package and it took roughly 6 weeks mainly due to all of the design changes they made as they worked it out. We were paid roughly 20% the going rate because it was such a 'great opportunity' to have work shown on TV (uncredited).

If you want to take a stab at it, you can download the free version of SketchUp today to kick the tires.
If you want to take it further, buy SketchUp Pro $700 until you get good at importing plans, setting up cameras etc. and get a monthly subscription of the Adobe production suite for roughly $50/month to allow for the clever transition effects and editing. Once you get that down pat, you can add on the realistic V-Ray rendering option for another $715 and start getting to that level. You will also need a pretty good computer that will set you back another $1500-$2000 or so.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:58 PM

774 posts, read 746,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
You're right. I've read the same thing. Others do all the work and the brothers take credit on TV for it. You may see one swing a hammer once or twice for the camera but that's it.

It's really sad when people read things on the internet and assume they are true. Those boys have worked their butts off to get where they are at and not as actors. SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House