Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:44 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,883 times

Advertisements

Whoa this is spooky. I was literally just thinking of the HGTV show "Flip or Flop," then half a second later I saw this very similar post in my sidebar.

Was thinking when I got sucked into a day-long marathon of that show, by evening it finally became transparent to me that many of their mishaps are probably staged for entertainment value (like when gorgeous Christine's SUV got stolen, or when there was a squatter/intruder/burglar/vandal interfering with one of their flips), and feigning shock every time contractors gave their estimates.

You can delete my post if it's tangential. Not intending to veer off the Property Brothers topic. I've seen a couple PB shows and I like them a lot too. Gorgeous, talented, intelligent men with great people skills, they're fortunate to earn a living doing what they love, and doing it well, and being so genetically blessed, they've got star quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 03:55 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,594,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nothing unlimited about the budgets in any of these programs. What we really don't know is the cost of the services of the stars to the homeowners. It could conceivably be nothing...they're getting paid for the show as it is. But clearly in these programs the homeowners are footing the bills themselves.
The "renovations" are paid for by the network the homeowner doesn't pay a dime. Home improvement companies like hd, lowes and tons of others supply the materials for free for advertising those products on the show. All these shows are scripted. The only home improvement show that is the closest to being real is called this old house.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:29 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,909,091 times
I miss the show, Moving Up and it wasn't on HGTV, I think TLC with Doug Wilson, which involved families moving out of their old house and they critique the new owner's renovations of it. And of course the new family has critiqued the original family's renovations/design and taste by ripping it all out haha.

I'm sure it had some scripting to it (they all do) but between the different couple's personalities and reactions to each other's choices as well as actually showcasing the renovations made it very entertaining and informative about the renovation process as well as using two different houses in each show (and how one's supposedly "fabulous" choices are not always well received by others).

Old 11-05-2015, 08:46 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,236,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
so I'm sure there is tons of variation throughout Canada as well.
There is variation but in general it's VERY pricey. It's not like you can find really cheap housing like you can in the US if you're willing to go off the beaten path.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:28 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,626,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
It must be for the drama, that wall removal thang. What I do, especially when working with other trades, is cut the seam line with an Olfa knife, score the drywall screws with the knife, back off the screws with the drill, and NO DUST AND no drama. Clean, dust free, and safe.

They'd find me really boring on TV.
You must live in a ritzy area. I've never seen drywall put up with screws in my area, always nails.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I do too.

I wish there were some shows where they would take, say a living room and decorate the same space with different options.

Not sure how you could work in the drama, but I bet the Property Brothers could figure it out.
Years ago, they used to have a couple of decorating shows that I loved: Room By Room and Design on a Dime. Room By Room would re-do one room per show, sometimes pricey but not always, and the female star would always have some very creative artsy additions while the male star would demonstrate modest carpentry. Not a lot of disappearing walls or major construction.

Design on a Dime worked off the premise of decorating a room or sometimes an entire small apartment for $1000 or less. They had three "stars". It was very creative and usually featured one of the stars making a fairly large original art project for not too much money. They did a lot of rentals, too.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:53 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I love Rehab Addict. What I like best is she respects the era of the house. She doesn't gut that old bathroom with the old tile, but restores it She adds a closet when there is none, and replaces old windows if they are not in good repair, but the spirit of the time is still with these homes. One of my favorite was the large victorian she bought as a special project. She kept and restored the true victorian style, including the formal parlor and utilized the butler's pantry without removing it. The people who bought it wanted authentic, and she gave them restored authentic.

I hate seeing these classic old houses hacked to pieces inside where all of the old classic that's left is the shell outside.

I'd love to see someone look at a house and say they'd like a wall added since they prefer the kitchen be closed off as its own room, and they also want a family room that's a room. Mom always kept the living room 'nice' and we hardly ever used it except to walk through. The master bath was turned into a den and that's where we did everything else, and if it was messy then you just shut the door.
I love Rehab Addict, too. Last night, they started a new set of shows. Rehab Addict Detroit. Nicole is working with Quicken Loans to save and rebuild this iconic mansion (4800 sq ft) in Detroit. She's going to turn it into a duplex.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:32 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,664,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I love Rehab Addict, too. Last night, they started a new set of shows. Rehab Addict Detroit. Nicole is working with Quicken Loans to save and rebuild this iconic mansion (4800 sq ft) in Detroit. She's going to turn it into a duplex.
yes, me too.
i saw it also.
I love her work and what she does, she doesnt "open everything up" like the brothers do.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:44 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,096,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
The "renovations" are paid for by the network the homeowner doesn't pay a dime. Home improvement companies like hd, lowes and tons of others supply the materials for free for advertising those products on the show.
Not true, eddie.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:22 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawekeye2011 View Post
I really like Fixer Upper as well. First because its in Texas and that is where I live. Also most of the homes are smaller and older and cost a lot less because they are in Waco Texas. So there is a pretty good mix of homes but mostly ranch style homes. I also like the interactions between Chip and Joanna, he is crazy which makes the show fun to watch.

I like most of what the Property Brothers come up with for design and decoration.... but I absolutely LOVE JoAnna Gaines' style...... one of these days if I ever make it back home to Texas.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House