Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 02:55 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times

Advertisements

Dials are rarely used on telephones these days, but it is a specific term. Try telling somebody to "button [your] number" instead.

Seriously, it's just a word. People reuse older terms for newer meanings all the time. Quit splitting hairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 09:44 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
There are a number of reasons to resist and destroy drones flying over private property: frightens livestock (could cause injury/damage), casing the place to commit burglary, voyeurism and child predatory behavior, and just plain invasion of privacy and rudeness.

Look up some of the newer shotgun shells specifically made for destroying drones - there is even a net! Now that should appease those concerned with stray bullets/pellets.

There is absolutely NO justification for flying drones over private property.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:10 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Dials are rarely used on telephones these days, but it is a specific term. Try telling somebody to "button [your] number" instead.
Seriously, it's just a word. People reuse older terms for newer meanings all the time. Quit splitting hairs.
Try "punching in a number"
You are right, things change but some old vocabulary stays with us. Lots of watches on peoples' wrists that don't have hands anymore.

"Grammatical misconstruction is intentional"

Old 07-10-2017, 03:23 PM

I am seeing some of the extreme frustration in this thread and concern is valid. When I flew radio control airplanes we always arranged a field with a fenced off runway and with plenty of separation from people and houses, with appropriate crowd control for shows. Drones are different since you can launch them off the back porch. Here is a video and a website I visited today which will give you an idea of the size, cost, stealth, and entertainment value of a typical drone. They one I have is just a small helicopter with no video that I fly in the living room or back yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwc1...eibJbV3WDfra-6

https://www.urbandrones.com/collecti...h-drone-3-auto

Last edited by Crashj007; 07-10-2017 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 03:48 PM

Case law is developing. As reported on ARS TECHNICA:
Here's SCOTUS:
At the time(1946), the Supreme Court did not draw a firm limit.
As the justices concluded:
"The airspace, apart from the immediate reaches above the land, is part of the public domain. We need not determine at this time what those precise limits are. Flights over private land are not a taking, unless they are so low and so frequent as to be a direct and immediate interference with the enjoyment and use of the land. We need not speculate on that phase of the present case."

The Federal Aviation Administration reiterated that shooting at any aircraft, drone or otherwise, is unwise and illegal.

"An unmanned aircraft hit by gunfire could crash, causing damage to people or property on the ground, or it could collide with other objects in the air," Ian Gregor, an FAA spokesman e-mailed Ars. "Shooting at an unmanned aircraft could result in a civil penalty from the FAA and/or criminal charges filed by federal, state, or local law enforcement."

Old 07-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
<>There is absolutely NO justification for flying drones over private property.
This may not ever be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. The SCOTUS hasn't ruled on a pertinent case since 1946 and the technology is very different today. The questions appear to be
Q1: How high is up? How far up does your property go?
Q2: Is overflying property a "taking" in the legal sense?
Q3: Is shooting down an aircraft of any kind (esp. an RPV) an FAA violation?

See my other recent post for the full quote from ARS . I have no idea where to go for the full SCOTUS case report.
In any event, case law is not settled on forums, but in courts and it has not yet been established. So overfly or shoot at your own risk.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,790 times
Just out of curiosity, I did a simple internet search using "neighbor uses drone to spy".
I saw quite a few news stories ...... countrywide. So, some of you shouldn't get too comfy thinking "Nah, that's just ole Bob down the street .... he's just having a bit of fun playing with his new TOY. He wouldn't spy on us!"

And before that certain someone pops in to disagree with me, as we all know she will, since she's done this to everybody else on this thread........ READ the news stories. IT HAPPENS A LOT .... All of your neighbors aren't good peoples... Here's a few recent examples ..

Feb. 2017 - Orem, Utah - Couple caught and arrested for using $1200 drone to spy into neighbor's bedrooms and bathrooms in the early morning hours when they first turned their lights on .

April 2017 - Fort Myers, FLa - Dad caught his NEIGHBOR using a drone to spy on his young children. As it so happened, that neighbor had been previously arrested for trying to lure a child into his car.

June 2017 - GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. - Several neighbors have reported to police a drone making the rounds of their neighborhood going from window to window.

June 2017 - Jacksonville, FLa. - This one took a very bad turn... William Jacob Cerda purchased a drone and was "allegedly" using it to spy on AND video his female sunbathing neighbors... pretty much proven guilty since he was uploading those videos to the web. When Mr Cerda was using his drone to invade a neighbor's privacy, hovering it over one of his pretty AND topless neighbor girls, the boyfriend came outside, saw the drone, threw a beer at it causing the drone to spiral down on top of her, slicing her nose clean off her face! It was a bad deal..... still is a bad deal....

AND THE LIST GOES ON and ON .......... and MOST of the folks interviewed in these articles say pretty much the same thing.... The drone is GOING DOWN if they see it hovering over their property. I feel the same way myself. Don't send your drone my way if you want to keep it in one piece ......

Old 07-11-2017, 05:18 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss mayhem View Post
Just out of curiosity, I did a simple internet search using "neighbor uses drone to spy".
I saw quite a few news stories ...... countrywide. So, some of you shouldn't get too comfy thinking "Nah, that's just ole Bob down the street .... he's just having a bit of fun playing with his new TOY. He wouldn't spy on us!"

And before that certain someone pops in to disagree with me, as we all know she will, since she's done this to everybody else on this thread........ READ the news stories. IT HAPPENS A LOT .... All of your neighbors aren't good peoples... Here's a few recent examples ..

Feb. 2017 - Orem, Utah - Couple caught and arrested for using $1200 drone to spy into neighbor's bedrooms and bathrooms in the early morning hours when they first turned their lights on .

April 2017 - Fort Myers, FLa - Dad caught his NEIGHBOR using a drone to spy on his young children. As it so happened, that neighbor had been previously arrested for trying to lure a child into his car.

June 2017 - GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. - Several neighbors have reported to police a drone making the rounds of their neighborhood going from window to window.

June 2017 - Jacksonville, FLa. - This one took a very bad turn... William Jacob Cerda purchased a drone and was "allegedly" using it to spy on AND video his female sunbathing neighbors... pretty much proven guilty since he was uploading those videos to the web. When Mr Cerda was using his drone to invade a neighbor's privacy, hovering it over one of his pretty AND topless neighbor girls, the boyfriend came outside, saw the drone, threw a beer at it causing the drone to spiral down on top of her, slicing her nose clean off her face!
Nah, that can't be!!! High School mean girls here manhandle the blades themselves, and won't let them hurt others. And their drones are so perfect machines that they never malfunction or scrape the 99 cent paint out of their fingernails.

So you must be blissfully ignorant, ridiculous, an old codger, LOL, ROFLAMO, lololol. Something's wrong with you.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:49 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Gee wizz, jcx, it's just an extension of the radio control airplane hobby, combined with the enjoyment of video of everything we do (think cell phones).
The image is usually a wide angle fish eye and useless for stalkers and other perverts.
But there are people who will abuse any good invention. I'm reading a book about the revolution of life with the invention of the electric light. Lots of moralists thought street lighting would be the end of life as they knew it.
"And they were right!"

In some cases it is end of life. the Electric chair.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:01 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Who is saying that??

Certainly not me.

Most of what I'm trying to do here is explain which fears are real and which are exaggerated . For instance just because a drone is flying does not mean it is taking any pictures or is even pointed at you. People assume. I understand the concern, but it's similar to freaking out because someone walks onto your property carrying a cell phone. It has the ability to take pictures or video also. Regular aircraft, and Google earth regularly take pictures overhead that are increasingly detailed. What we need to decide as a society is how drones either are or are not essentially different from these two realities we already live with. And if they are different what new rules we need ? That's the question to be decided.

Anyone who walks onto my property is immediately asked why they are there and if not a public utility person...........is immediately told to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House