Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:25 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I notice some of the same posters defending drone users are the same posters who defended contractors bringing their dogs to houses.
What... the same posters who regularly post on this forum! Are still here... posting on the forum!

Hi David, prolly see you around next week too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 03:33 PM

427 posts, read 1,224,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I don't care if people fly their little man toys around my neighborhood but I did get upset when this guy down the block hovers hsd drone 15-20ft above my son's head as he's playing in my fenced in backyard. He was up there a good 20 minutes just hovering, watching. I confronted the losers and now they only hover over the other neighbors kids.
Drones must be a delight to pedophiles and stalkers. I can't see any practical legal use for them unless you're a professional photographer/videographer or in military applications. It will only be a matter of time, if it hasn't already happened, before these drones will be used by criminal elements. Imagine 4 punks want to burglarize a home. They send 2 in to gather the loot, have one guy in a car nearby as a getaway/street lookout and have one guy with the drone watching for vehicles coming into the neighborhood on the street, such as the homeowner or cops. Someone will also inevitably strap a bomb on one of these drones or a gun, it's actually already been done, I've seen the videos on social media. This will become the new weapon of choice localized "terrorists" will utilize.

I can't believe some of the posters on here that support drones for non-professional use over private property, especially when I see the same posters in other threads talking about how they hate criminals and crime so much. I guess it's all fun and games to you guys until your backyard BBQ or local college football game gets blown up by a rogue drone owner, until people start getting shot via drones or until your daughter gets exploited or kidnapped. Either that or some of you posters are just hypocrites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
They would have loved Germany in the 30s.

How about privacy? Nothing to do with hiding anything.

He sounds like a real moron.
The irony of this is that the single most prevalent ancestry in America is indeed German. So maybe they literally do love it since most Americans are ancestors of Nazis. History is known to repeat itself you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I never gave much thought to drones until one hovered over us for about 30 minutes at a public tennis court.

Hey, public property, what can you do?

But that weird buzzing noise and its slight movement in hover that would catch your eye...it felt like it was going to fall on you any moment. I mean, the ahole had it right above our heads...maybe 25 feet up. It was really effin annoying and I wanted to pelt it with a tennis ball.

Now I am not sympathetic towards drone owners. Because I get it. It's really, really annoying.

Drones are cool, though. I think it's a neat way to take pictures of real estate, check out nature, etc. I would just keep them away from people.
Idk about where you live but near me almost every tennis court that I've ever played on has a sign at the entrance saying, "All non-tennis activities prohibited" or something very similar. There's also usually a phone number to call for a park ranger if you see someone breaking said rules. If I were you I would've called it in. Of course it's possible you were on a court without a sign like that but flying a drone on the court is definitely a non-tennis activity.

Your story also just opened up a whole Pandora's box. You were just a recreational player on the court but let's say you were a pro player and someone was using a drone to scout you out for an upcoming match to see what your serving bias is and how in form you currently are. Eventually the law will have to catch up with drone activity cause if Bill Belichick gets his hands on these, he'll be spying on every opponent's practice and scouting/stealing their playbooks.

I don't have a problem with drones but when people are using them in a selfish, disrespectful manner, such as very near to people to the point where they're bothering them or within unreasonable distance of private property or closed events, then I do have an issue.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:44 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Drones must be a delight to pedophiles and stalkers. I can't see any practical legal use for them unless you're a professional photographer/videographer or in military applications.<>
Gee wizz, jcx, it's just an extension of the radio control airplane hobby, combined with the enjoyment of video of everything we do (think cell phones).
The image is usually a wide angle fish eye and useless for stalkers and other perverts.
But there are people who will abuse any good invention. I'm reading a book about the revolution of life with the invention of the electric light. Lots of moralists thought street lighting would be the end of life as they knew it.
"And they were right!"

Old 07-03-2017, 04:04 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Gee wizz, jcx ....I'm reading a book about the revolution of life with the invention of the electric light. Lots of moralists thought street lighting would be the end of life as they knew it.
"And they were right!"
Excellent analogy!

Freedom and invention! scary stuff!

Beyond this point there be dragons, they said... In Columbus's day.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:12 PM

323 posts, read 376,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Drones must be a delight to pedophiles and stalkers. I can't see any practical legal use for them unless you're a professional photographer/videographer or in military applications. It will only be a matter of time, if it hasn't already happened, before these drones will be used by criminal elements. Imagine 4 punks want to burglarize a home. They send 2 in to gather the loot, have one guy in a car nearby as a getaway/street lookout and have one guy with the drone watching for vehicles coming into the neighborhood on the street, such as the homeowner or cops. Someone will also inevitably strap a bomb on one of these drones or a gun, it's actually already been done, I've seen the videos on social media. This will become the new weapon of choice localized "terrorists" will utilize.
Just to mention it, Drones are used for utility inspections and mapping as well. In either case, there are specific state laws and rules from your local utility you should be aware of.

For instance, in California, if I use a drone for utility inspections for my company, the rules and regulations (fine print) that all customers sign permits property access by personnel and equipment for that purpose. Mapping, when done by a licensed individual, is exempt from trespassing laws.

So shooting down the drone or damaging it with a laser might not be a great idea.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:14 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Sounds like part of you is still in high school.
"Happy Days"
I grow bolder, not older!

Old 07-03-2017, 04:21 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
I never gave much thought to drones until one hovered over us for about 30 minutes at a public tennis court.

Hey, public property, what can you do?
But what would you do if there were people on the ground watching you? Maybe not staring, but just waiting for you to finish up or killing time? Is it being a drone qualitatively different?

Old 07-03-2017, 04:22 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
You know, I agree with you. Except...

a. This neighbor should know. I am not someone who advocates unvoiced expectations, but seriously...he should know that his behavior is unacceptable and annoying. Why? Well, if he flies drones, he's probably aware of the controversy and people's expectations and annoyances with the things. I don't even fly drones or own one, and I am aware of it. So he knows that he is doing something that is likely p***ing people off.

b. Confronting people this day and age about their bad behavior rarely works anymore. People get irate, vindictive, and sometimes violent. Better to go through authorities or HOA or some board of people to do this.

I agree with (a) for the most part, but (b) seems a little over the top, unless you have some evidence that the neighbor is like that. It's probably not a bad idea to see if you can scope out what kind of neighbor they are before you go confront them, and it's also a good idea to start in a firm, but tactful way without getting confrontational from the get go. It's much easier, and usually works much better, to escalate a situation when you need to than to de-escalate a situation when it was escalated early on.
I know there's always a risk but there's also a risk of getting a third party involved as the first line of communication.

If you do know the neighbors are problem people, then I would certainly agree with (b), but then you have a bigger problem that they would still retaliate but may be even more angry that you didn't approach them first with the problem. Sometimes these problematic types will be even more angry if they feel like you were going "behind their back" (even if you had every right to do so).

Old 07-03-2017, 04:29 PM

730 posts, read 769,337 times
So the neighbors are having a big discussion on the neighborhood next door page. Folks are saying here that it's against the law to shoot it (I'm not advocating that but some of neighbors are) but it is considered by law "trespassing". How exactly can one enforce that with a drone???
We have so many natural pine trees in our backyard if a neighbor tried to fly it through that, I'm afraid the device would not survive.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:52 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Some areas are passing laws to address this issue, but in many cases the law is not up to date and there is no law to address it. But in a general sense - it is not "okay" if it amounts to stalking, spying, peeping Tom behavior, harassing, etc. If someone's drone is way above your property viewing things that we can find on Google maps satellite view these days but with a little more detail, etc., then that is something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House