Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 07:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I don't have a problem with drones being used "appropriately," and that includes farmers checking on fields, real estate sales. My problem is with the pervert down the road flying a drone with a camera around my windows or just plain too close to my house. They need to be flying at least 500 feet over a property that isn't theirs (or that they don't have permission to photograph).
1. 500 feet is against FAA rules.
2. 200 feet for a small drone is more than enough over residential property.

In theory, 500 feet could mean collisions with small planes and helicopters. As it stands right now, FAA rules limit drones to 400 feet. Some have built-in software that limits them also. The area between 400 and 500 feet is a buffer to make sure that drones and planes don't collide. It may eventually be used for Amazon deliveries and the like.

I am in full agreement with you that a drone should not "cruise" your home. But 200 feet above the ground is about 3 to 4X the height of the tallest trees and plenty of height assuming they are moving. As I said before, the only real excuse for traveling over a semi-populated areas is to get to the area beyond or to rise high enough to get a landscape photo which might be present.

Of course, Real Estate photos are the exception - and in close packed areas, drones are going to be fairly commonplace just taking shots of properties for sale. But, again, if they go up and do their job - and then come down, IMHO that is fine.

The problem, IMHO, is guys who just "fly around for fun" at low altitudes in populated areas. That's not what these are for and is definitely not neighborly (then again, barking dogs aren't either and lots of people seem to let theirs do such).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 07:54 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Planes fly as low as 500 feet (lower over the beach or water) - heights which drones can easily reach. Planes are about 1000X as large and many times as noisy. Planes and helis have "stock" stabilized cameras that can see if you have bad teeth from 1000 feet - drone pics are like cellphone pics.
Planes don't hover.

Thankfully Florida has very strict laws against drone behavior.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:02 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:

In theory, 500 feet could mean collisions with small planes and helicopters. As it stands right now, FAA rules limit drones to 400 feet. Some have built-in software that limits them also. The area between 400 and 500 feet is a buffer to make sure that drones and planes don't collide. It may eventually be used for Amazon deliveries and the like.

I am in full agreement with you that a drone should not "cruise" your home. But 200 feet above the ground is about 3 to 4X the height of the tallest trees and plenty of height assuming they are moving. As I said before, the only real excuse for traveling over a semi-populated areas is to get to the area beyond or to rise high enough to get a landscape photo which might be present.

Of course, Real Estate photos are the exception - and in close packed areas, drones are going to be fairly commonplace just taking shots of properties for sale. But, again, if they go up and do their job - and then come down, IMHO that is fine.

The problem, IMHO, is guys who just "fly around for fun" at low altitudes in populated areas. That's not what these are for and is definitely not neighborly (then again, barking dogs aren't either and lots of people seem to let theirs do such).

( last paragraph)

As I stated before, I do see a correlation in people's lax attitudes towards drones and bothersome dogs.

I will draw the conclusion that some posters own both.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:10 AM

730 posts, read 769,200 times
Quote:

Someone on next door is currently complaining that the drone is hovering at a low distance over his property is making his dogs bark and he has to bring his dogs in while the drone is being flown over his property or his dogs go beserk.

I have one dog who would bark incessantly at hot air balloons flying overhead. They scare the snot out of him. I had to bring him inside so he wouldn't freak out during the Balloon Fiesta. He doesn't seem to care about drones but I can see how a dog could given my dog's irrational fear of hot air balloons.

This is where I don't think the drone flying over another's property is very cool or neighborly. If the guy is flying it low over people backyard and affecting what the homeowner does in his own backyard, I think that's not very cool.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:31 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Quote:
If you happen to live within 5 miles of an airport, it's illegal to fly them.
Excellent. That works for me. I'm two miles from a major city's international airport. Thanks.

Quote:
You both make neighbors I wouldn't want to even know. What happened to a simple approach and a conversation?
Uh, that's great. But do you know how many crazy people there are out there that you CAN NOT have a friendly conversation with -- if it's about something THEY are doing that they should stop? They want to get testy and defensive -- and passive/aggressive with the "you can't tell me what I can do" attitude.

MOST people are fine...SOME people are crazy. And you don't know who's who -- until a situation arises where which kind of person they are comes to light.

You could think neighbor Bob is the nicest person....UNTIL you point out that every once in a while (not even every time) he washes his car or waters his grass he gets YOUR car wet, or whatever. Simple thing right?..... Except now EVERY TIME he waters the lawn your car gets wet.

Or you ask every nicely if he could bring his dog in instead of leaving him out to bark for hours. Next thing you know the dog is outside even more.

So what's happened to neighborly courtesy? Answer: Craziness.
(we have a road rage story in the news here now. Man "allegedly" shot an 18-year-old drive in the head, because he wanted to mere into HER lane.)

I don't necessarily want to presume everyone is crazy. BUT -- I WOULD BE CRAZY not to presume someone COULD be crazy.

Last edited by selhars; 07-04-2017 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 08:35 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

As I stated before, I do see a correlation in people's lax attitudes towards drones and bothersome dogs.

I will draw the conclusion that some posters own both.
And I will continue trying to debate fairly and not draw conclusions or make assumptions about the motives of others without at least trying to communicate with them.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:43 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Planes don't hover.

Helicopters do, and the last guys who came and tried to sell photos of our property took the pictures from a helicopter with a MUCH better camera and lens than drones have. Just FYI...

Quote:
Thankfully Florida has very strict laws against drone behavior.
What are those laws, do you know? I'm curious. I don't know yet, what the rules will turn out to be, with this new technology, but I do know we're just getting started with it, and I do hope we end up with one set of rules at least regionally, so we don't have an impossible patchwork of conflicting rules where it's hard to know what's legal and what's not. Right now, we're limited to line of sight and less than 400 feet. When we fly ours, 200 feet feels REALLY high, we rarely go above that, and we're in tall tree country.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:33 AM

36 posts, read 25,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You both make neighbors I wouldn't want to even know. What happened to a simple approach and a conversation? Something bothers you - voice your concern. Don't act like a hateful simpleton who can only solve problems with a force.
Having a conversation with some idiot who chooses to be a bad neighbor is usually fruitless. Who does not know that flying a drone over someone else's property, possibly taking pictures may be illegal if not inconsiderate? Having such a conversation may give that nuisance someone to point the finger at should that drone meet with misadventure at someone else's hands.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:43 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,893 times
The simple answer for me is, yes this would bother me. On the most simple of terms its an invasion of my privacy that anyone would be taking pictures or videoing no matter what distance its done from of my property. This is why most people also install fences around their yards. They want privacy. I wouldn't tolerate someone peeking over my fence with a camera while my teen daughters are out swimming or sun bathing so why should I be okay with someone doing it from the air? We would call the guy looking over the fence a peeping Tom. Same rules apply if its someone with a drone, a camera, binoculars from 100 yards away etc. Its my property, my yard and my privacy.

That said google earth does this and we have no control of them doing it. We only trust that their intentions are good. If it bothered me I would speak with my neighbor and let him know and ask him point blank to stop flying over my property. If he refused to do so then we would have a problem.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:11 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Isn't there an FAA registration/ licensing requirement? I know they can not be flown within 5 miles of an airport.

If one was low & intrusive over my yard, I would get a wrist rocket slingshot & target practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House