Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 05:40 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times

Advertisements

We have some clown that thinks its fun to harass us while we are hunting. That drone is bound to get blasted if he keeps it up. I'd hope the moron knows what he's doing is illegal but it will get expensive if he keeps it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 06:01 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,935 times
I also would shoot it out of the air. I would use my 9mm, but I am in the city, and that would bring problems. So, I would use a pellet gun or bb gun, something to destroy the drone and solve the problem.

If there was a civil charge for shooting down the drone, the homeowner would win, this is an invasion of privacy, if it is your yard or over your home when you shoot it down. Destroy the drone.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:10 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,775,264 times
lol at the number of people in here who are clueless.

go ahead and blast the drone out of the sky. let me know how that works out for you in court.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:26 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,839,192 times
Human nature. Then the first shot is fired.......

Old 07-03-2017, 06:46 AM

190 posts, read 167,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I also would shoot it out of the air. I would use my 9mm, but I am in the city, and that would bring problems. So, I would use a pellet gun or bb gun, something to destroy the drone and solve the problem.

If there was a civil charge for shooting down the drone, the homeowner would win, this is an invasion of privacy, if it is your yard or over your home when you shoot it down. Destroy the drone.
You are NOT correct. Unfortunately, unless your area has a specific law against drones flying over households, you are NOT permitted to destroy or interfere with it. Current law is clear on that point. You will be sued for damages and possibly face a criminal charge as well.

This is an example where technology has sped past current laws. I agree that drones flying over households without permission should not be legal; contact your local lawmakers and register your complaints. I think soon enough appropriate laws will be passed, but now that isn't the case. Probably won't happen until something major happens, like a drone causing a plane crash.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
I don't care if people fly their little man toys around my neighborhood but I did get upset when this guy down the block hovers hsd drone 15-20ft above my son's head as he's playing in my fenced in backyard. He was up there a good 20 minutes just hovering, watching. I confronted the losers and now they only hover over the other neighbors kids.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 AM

24,592 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Drones fall under FAA jurisdiction. Have you contacted the local FISDO?

Old 07-03-2017, 08:05 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,627,552 times
At the moment you can google your city your state drone laws.

There are a lot of issues. Drones are changing and growing. People are finding different ways to use them. People are enjoying them recreationally like those remote controlled planes....which also came in various sizes.

They can be very costly.

One jurisdiction can vary from the one next to it so you need specifics.

Requirements can vary also by type of drone and by the purpose for which it is being used. At least some need licenses.

Info about an issue can help and enable the neighbors to make some decisions or take some action.

We have friends who use drones in real estate. Some are agents, some do it professionally for the agents and do events and weddings as well. Can be great in areas that are difficult to walk or that really need to be seen from the air to appreciate the special layout of the area.

In a community a few miles from us, someone was doing this to try to sell a home that was just not selling for some reason. But in using the drone, the guy did it a few days looking for the perfect weather and the perfect scenery. Seems like when he looked at the video afterwards he didn't like it and went back for more. So there's that learning curve. Which angered neighbors who really didn't have a good concept of the larger area and couldn't figure out how it would fly over their home (to view nature better) in order to video a home a few blocks away.

One friend found it was too expensive and his license was not worth it timewise since he could not make a living with the drone and yet it was too expensive for just part time so he dropped it.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:11 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
If drones do not have identifying numbers then they should not be protected under FAA laws. If they 'fall' into your yard? Finders, keepers. You may remember that model airplanes never were allowed to fly over random houses. They always had clubs that rented space in open fields. When a kid built a smaller version, he always flew it in his own back yard or found an open field somewhere for a short flight. Made sense.

A drone for real estate photos? Sure, since it involves a designated property.

A drone for photos over public land? Heck no, since a large number of drone owners will lose their units and end up polluting the countryside.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You both make neighbors I wouldn't want to even know. What happened to a simple approach and a conversation? Something bothers you - voice your concern. Don't act like a hateful simpleton who can only solve problems with a force.
You know, I agree with you. Except...

a. This neighbor should know. I am not someone who advocates unvoiced expectations, but seriously...he should know that his behavior is unacceptable and annoying. Why? Well, if he flies drones, he's probably aware of the controversy and people's expectations and annoyances with the things. I don't even fly drones or own one, and I am aware of it. So he knows that he is doing something that is likely p***ing people off.

b. Confronting people this day and age about their bad behavior rarely works anymore. People get irate, vindictive, and sometimes violent. Better to go through authorities or HOA or some board of people to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House