Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 10:06 PM

730 posts, read 769,852 times

Advertisements

Well we have some neighbors who do want to shoot it down. And I have other neighbors saying why should anyone care, what do you have to hide? My issue is more basic: the guy who is flying the drone just walks down the middle of the street looking up. He almost walked into my car twice when I was driving my kids home from school last spring. It's like, "look in front of you, dude!". This guy is about my age-mid 40's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 11:05 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,718,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
We are having a heated debate in our neighborhood. One of our neighbors is flying their drone with a camera over and around the houses in our subdivision. This is ticking off some of the neighbors. Just for background, our subdivision is a non HOA with all of our lots being 1/2-1 acre in size.

Some of the neighbors are saying their home ownership rights extend up vertically and that the neighbor's camera drone is infringing on the home owner's privacy.

I really don't care but my hubby said "What if some neighbor flew their drone past the high bathroom window we have (that has no curtain treatments on because it's too high) and you or one of our kids were getting out of the tub or shower?"

Hmmm. That gave me a bit of pause.

What say you?
I'd be pretty irritated (but I'm not a big fan of the drones in the first place, admittedly). I'd be looking to see if what he's doing could be construed as a public nuisance (much in the way somebody blaring their radio so loud nobody on the street can escape the noise.)

Old 07-02-2017, 11:13 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
We have a very expensive drone, with a professional level camera, and there is no way it could look in your windows from anywhere more than a few feet away. I promise you, his drone is not seeing anything in your windows from any altitude.

He's flying his drone around for fun, and I bet he's not even looking at you, he's looking toward the horizon, the big picture, on a tiny screen.

Go talk to him if you're really worried. look at the pictures he's able to take. Maybe you'll realize there's really nothing to worry about, maybe he'll even take a couple nice pictures of your home and property that you might like to have.

Don't shoot it down. Not only would it be unneighborly, you might well have to replace it.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-03-2017 at 12:18 AM..

Old 07-02-2017, 11:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We have a very expensive drone, with a professional level camera, and there is no way it could look in your windows from anywhere more than a few feet away. I promise you, his drone is not seeing anything in your windows from any altitude.
He's flying his drone around for fun, and I bet he's not even looking at you, he's looking toward the horizon, the big picture, on a tiny screen.
Go talk to him if you're really worried. look at the pictures he's able to take. Maybe you'll realize there's really nothing to worry about, maybe he'll even take a couple nice pictures of your home and property that you might like to have.
Don't shoot it down. You might well have to replace it.
So this neighbor can just do what he wants when he wants without asking anyone if they mind?
Not around our home and I don't care if you *think* nothing can be seen. The point is you and your drone are invading into my privacy and space and I will not tolerate it on any level.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:34 PM

Seems to me you're both failing to talk to each other and understand where the other is coming from. He's playing with a cool toy he probably has no idea what you're even agitated about it. He standing outside when this thing is flying around... have you gone up and talked to him? Said hello? Asked him any questions about it?

I know what can be seen, These cameras have very wide angle lenses designed for big panoramic shots. Your fears about the drone being able to see any detail better than you could see it from the street are unfounded.

I wish that would bring you peace

Old 07-02-2017, 11:46 PM

Im not flipping out about it...my other neighbors are! Please re-read my posts if you think I'm upset about this. There is just a huge commotion about it in my neighborhood and I really don't get it which is why I posted to ask what the general thoughts were in this manner.

I mean, did I say anywhere on this thread that I was aggitated?? Nope. I said some of the other neighbors are.

I do think it's stupid he isn't looking where he's walking when's he's flying it, and will walk out in front of a car...but whatever.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:52 PM

Forgive me I'm reading this on a very small screen on my phone and reacting to the general sentiments on the thread. Trying to inform you, the other posters, the neighbors, whoever's listening :-)

Old 07-02-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Forgive me I'm reading this on a very small screen on my phone and reacting to the general sentiments on the thread. Trying to inform you, the other posters, the neighbors, whoever's listening :-)
No worries. I'm honestly just wondering why some people are angry about this while others don't care at all. That's why I posted. I never really thought anyone would be doing something malicious at all but snooping was the very first thing that came to my husband's mind.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:07 AM

People are upset because they're new and unfamiliar. In a friendlier time, they'd be curious and go ask the neighbor and talk to him about it, let him show off his new toy.

We use it for our real estate business. It takes nice wide-angle shots of the property and the house and the general layout of the neighborhood and surrounding area. That's it - it's not going to see anything happening in any detail unless it is close enough to grab it. Honest.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:32 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I was an expert skeet shooter in high school.
Guess what's going to happen to any drone that's close enough to hover near my windows?
<>
Sounds like part of you is still in high school.
"Happy Days"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House