Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 03:16 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,209,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Agree. Google Earth has been looking/snooping into peoples backyards for years, and nobody ever complains about them.
Actually that's not true, but that's leave it aside. Do you think Google knows you by face? Because that neighbor can and does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 03:27 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Exactly, Henry. But I was trying to be friendly and not you know, toot my horn or something. Most normal folks would have moved out of the way. I honestly was just trying to be patient and give him the benefit of the doubt.
Your neighbor's not normal either. No argument there.

I'm just stunned that so many think shooting the thing out of the sky is a perfectly rational decision, but talking to the guy flying it is crazy or likely to cause conflict.

That's a little messed up.

I never saw our street as an overly friendly place, but we evidently are unusual.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
People are still saying shoot it down with a shotgun or sling shot of some type, destroy it with a laser to crash it, etc.

They still cannot seem to accept that this is against federal law, making shooting down any flying machine be it a plane, or a drone a serious crime, and can cost you a huge fine, and/or put you in jail for doing it.

Drones are with us, and we have to learn to accept the fact. Example some companies will soon be making deliveries to homes, with drones. Police can watch over a much larger area with a drone, than sending officers driving down street after street looking for trouble, and be more effective doing it. Security services will be doing the same thing. Realtors will be putting Ariel Photos with each listing.

Drones are a fact of life, and we have to accept this.

I saw a video the other day, of how they are using them on farms. This woman sends hers up, to check her cattle in the pasture, rather than going out and physically checking them. She can go around the exterior fences, to see if the fence has any problems where cattle can get out. She even delivered her husbands lunch to him, where he was plowing a distant field.

A friend of one of my sons, uses drones to find lost people in the grand canyon area. They are finding out they have two choices if someone gets lost at these large national parks. Call out and send a whole platoon of men and woman to comb the area for hours. Or send up a drone and do it in minutes.

Late drone regulations, make it easier to use drones for work, and be flown. Pilots licenses are no longer needed for commercial use, just a simple to get certificate. And no night flights.

FAA Rolls Out Rules For Small Commercial Drones: What You Should Know : TECH : Tech Times

Get used to it, drones are going to become more and more a fact of every day life.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Your neighbor's not normal either. No argument there.

I'm just stunned that so many think shooting the thing out of the sky is a perfectly rational decision, but talking to the guy flying it is crazy or likely to cause conflict..
That is very unfair. You are increasing the cost and aggravation on the injured party of this nuissance, and reducing it on the perpetrator.

If you talked to the perpetrator, it is unlikely he will comply. What if he doesn't comply or PD won't bother with talking to him. So now you have to shoot it down, after you gave yourself out?

No, no. Anonomously wreck the thing, and make it more expensive and aggravating to the perpetrator to find out who did it. He started this by violating others' rights of privacy. He needs to bear the cost.

Plus deterrents. If I don't know who's gonna shoot my next drone down, i.e. I need to investigate, spend my time, which is very expensive and figure out who do I report so that stop shooting it.

Thirdly, violation of privacy is known to cause long term injury of expectation of privacy. So, if i get intimate with my wife by the pool, at my privacy, now I have to modify my behavior because some ******* down the block can fly a drone on me and get free R-rated peek into me, his neighbor?

Think about it. Injury on my life is a lot more than your wrecked toy.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
People are still saying shoot it down with a shotgun or sling shot of some type, destroy it with a laser to crash it, etc.

They still cannot seem to accept that this is against federal law, making shooting down any flying machine be it a plane, or a drone a serious crime, and can cost you a huge fine, and/or put you in jail for doing it.

Drones are with us, and we have to learn to accept the fact. Example some companies will soon be making deliveries to homes, with drones. Police can watch over a much larger area with a drone, than sending officers driving down street after street looking for trouble, and be more effective doing it. Security services will be doing the same thing. Realtors will be putting Ariel Photos with each listing.

Drones are a fact of life, and we have to accept this.

I saw a video the other day, of how they are using them on farms. This woman sends hers up, to check her cattle in the pasture, rather than going out and physically checking them. She can go around the exterior fences, to see if the fence has any problems where cattle can get out. She even delivered her husbands lunch to him, where he was plowing a distant field.

A friend of one of my sons, uses drones to find lost people in the grand canyon area. They are finding out they have two choices if someone gets lost at these large national parks. Call out and send a whole platoon of men and woman to comb the area for hours. Or send up a drone and do it in minutes.

Late drone regulations, make it easier to use drones for work, and be flown. Pilots licenses are no longer needed for commercial use, just a simple to get certificate. And no night flights.

FAA Rolls Out Rules For Small Commercial Drones: What You Should Know : TECH : Tech Times

Get used to it, drones are going to become more and more a fact of every day life.
I don't have to get used to anything. Privacy rights are not going anywhere. If anything, they are getting stronger.

When my father grew up, his parents shared the bedroom with their kids. Not anymore.

I am sure they will be creeps out there who will want to stretch the limits of peekaboo, as I am sure that our society is getting even more litigious. And what about liability? You think we won't sue the eyeballs out of drone owners if that drone falls and scratches my vintage TBird? Let alone drops on my kid...

Old 07-05-2017, 04:19 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
For starters, there is no 'injured party', there is no perpetrator. A guy is flying a drone around a neighborhood. That's not against any law.

You think you can shoot it down anonymously? And that shooting it down is not going to get you in a lot of trouble, Really?

Shaking my head.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:30 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Well, is he just flying that thing around or does it seem like he is snooping onto other properties?

He is probably just excited about it because it is new and will shortly move on to going to other places.

If he is isn't purposely flying it to snoop, I would sit it out.

Next time you see him fly it over your property ask him if your wife is in the bathroom.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:34 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
For starters, there is no 'injured party', there is no perpetrator. A guy is flying a drone around a neighborhood. That's not against any law.

You think you can shoot it down anonymously? And that shooting it down is not going to get you in a lot of trouble, Really?

Shaking my head.

and I also am.........."Shaking my head".. in disbelief that a Real Estate Agent thinks flying a drone around the neighborhood is no cause for concern.

.."around the neighborhood" .....used to mean a walk on public streets .

Certainly not a walk thru peoples back yards.

People on foot , drones in the air and contractors with dogs............get permission before invading my back yard !

Old 07-05-2017, 04:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
I think the first step would be for several of the calmer neighbors to pay a visit to the drone guy and ask what the purpose of him flying the drone over properties not his own. Have a conversation. If he blows you off, then I think seeing an attorney is order.

I don't think shooting it down is a good plan.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:57 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,755 times
ALL drones near houses get shot down. Period.

No excuse for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
This is why I'm done with suburban living. People just going LOCO over stupid things.. fences, drone, kids, tree growing 2 in over fence line whatever, "you on my property" bs.. I'm done! you people don't even Live were REAL issues are happening just relax smh

btw who got time to be flying a stupid camera over ppl houses? cops probly waste to much time with some of this
Really. this is true on both sides of the spectrum. Ideally, next property I buy for living will be in the country. No neighbors within at least half mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House