Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 01:28 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,032,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
God, some of you are so paranoid it's ridiculous.

These are mostly quadcopters that started as simple RC craft that you could fly indoors or in your backyard. They aren't spy gear. They are home hobbyist stuff. A friend has a smaller one that has a camera that he flies via VR goggles, so that it's like flying yourself. That's the appeal of them. He like s the feeling of being a bird with a bird's eye view of the world. But to listen to some of you, the only reason to fly one is to spy on neighbors and be a perv. Absolutely untrue and quite frankly, ignorant.

I've got little RC helicopters I like to fly from my backyard. it's done for fun. You shoot it down, I'll make sure you never use a goddamn gun again in your life, prisoner.

(2nd paragraph)

........"He likes the feeling of being a bird"....

Not in my backyard!

Unless he has real feathers he is not allowed to buzz around in my backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:37 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,463,487 times
As far as I know our area or state does not have a law against flying a drone over someone home. You might not like it but I don't know if you can do anything about it. Shooting it would be illegal in a residential area.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/frequently-asked-questions/

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/facts/

Old 07-05-2017, 02:21 PM

4,322 posts, read 4,237,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
So to your mind, destroying $1000 of someone's personal property is not a crime?
Hmmmm.
Not really. I would appreciate if police would instead use its limited resources in fighting real crime, such as burglary, theft, rape, homicide, or terrorism. Things like that. And let neighbors resolve their small matters in a civilized manner like -- if you don't listen I can shoot down your stupid drone.

More than anything, every creep would know that you can't hover a drone over somebody's else property, whether or not your lenses can see my wife's bikini string poolside.

Hey, how about -- you keep your drone over your own property, or go fly it by the park? Is that such a novel concept?

Old 07-05-2017, 02:26 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,822,547 times
This is why I'm done with suburban living. People just going LOCO over stupid things.. fences, drone, kids, tree growing 2 in over fence line whatever, "you on my property" bs.. I'm done! you people don't even Live were REAL issues are happening just relax smh

btw who got time to be flying a stupid camera over ppl houses? cops probly waste to much time with some of this

Old 07-05-2017, 02:28 PM

730 posts, read 775,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not sure rolling down the window and telling a guy to move is what I would call a friendly greeting or curious interest in the neighbor and what he was doing with his drone. As I said... Neither party here is trying to understand or get along with the other. It doesn't surprise me that the neighborhood has a hostile view of everyone else.

I actually dislike my neighbor quite a bit, but when I see him outside, we stop and share a few pleasantries. It's what civilized people do, when they don't want to make enemies out of the neighbors.
This is a ridiculous statement. I waited in my car for over 3 minutes while a man over 40 stands in the middle of the street and flies his drone, oblivious to the world. I roll down the window and say, "Hey, can I please scootch by you?" And I'm being not friendly? This is pretty stupid. Any normal well adjusted person could handle that and move and that's "what civil people do".

What a silly response.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM

323 posts, read 380,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This sounds like the scourge of helicopters keeping us safe by shining their bright lights in everyone's yard. When I lived a mile from the beach, the cops had just bought themselves two copters with all the latest. So of course they had to find something to do with them. The state beach closed at 8, except for the fire pits. But they 'theorised' that the gangs inland would come down and enjoy a day at the beach, then piled in the car and go looking for places to rob. So it followed that it was 'justified' for them to fly over the nearby homes and put on the superbright spotlight to check out the back yards. This happened nightly and all summer. We didn't much use the porch anymore since they ruined our enjoyment. There were suits over it and they modified the justification, so they had to have some kind of report, but they did it anyway.

This sounds like the pathway the cops and the controllers would like drones to go. If people are still out at ten, then they *must* be up to no good, maybe, ya'think???? So we start at nine so we can see if they slipped in early.

Yes, people did get burgled occasionally, maybe from people leaving the beach, but generally they slipped in a window not locked or in some other way nobody, not even the cops and their toy, would notice. And they'd make sure the house was empty first.

No wonder people want to move to places where there's a lot of space and homes aren't lined up like boxes and there might be some privacy left. My guess is in such places, playing games with your neighbor with the drone might end up with it having a bad end.
There's a difference there between doing new things and doing the same things that are already done more efficiently.

When we use UAS for inspections, we're able to do a lot of what it used to take a bucket truck and a crew to do, but much faster, with only a crew of two people. If we did it the old fashioned way, you'd have a couple guys up near the power lines in a bucket peering down into your yard instead of a drone.

For mapping, much the same is true, except you'd have a person walking into your backyard with a GPS unit.

I'm not sure how the drone is more invasive than those scenarios.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:32 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,543,215 times
"Is it ok for a neighbor to fly a drone with camera over your house?"

Sure, as long as they're OK with me using it for target practice.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:33 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,822,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
This is a ridiculous statement. I waited in my car for over 3 minutes while a man over 40 stands in the middle of the street and flies his drone, oblivious to the world. I roll down the window and say, "Hey, can I please scootch by you?" And I'm being not friendly? This is pretty stupid. Any normal well adjusted person could handle that and move and that's "what civil people do".

What a silly response.
Its cuz she flys drones around herself. Probly uses the camera for "open houses" so nobody has to visit.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:35 PM

14,752 posts, read 12,415,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post

What a silly response.
Yes, it's weird to sit and stare at a neighbor for three minutes before daring to roll down the window and tell him to move.

I'd have pulled up, rolled down the window and said HI George! What'cha doin!!!?

But that's just me.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:47 PM

4,322 posts, read 4,237,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
As far as I know our area or state does not have a law against flying a drone over someone home. You might not like it but I don't know if you can do anything about it. Shooting it would be illegal in a residential area.

Frequently Asked Questions | Know Before You Fly

Quick Facts | Know Before You Fly
www.I don't have to know anything before I fly.com 'cause I ain't flying anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House