Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 04:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
( last paragraph)

As I stated before, I do see a correlation in people's lax attitudes towards drones and bothersome dogs.

I will draw the conclusion that some posters own both.
I suspect this is directed at me.

My only drone use is for my job. Some of the research I work on at the university is using drones to track the spread of invasive species. As such I am required to be a licensed pilot and have some familiarity with the FAA regulations. There are lots of things in life at are annoying but are not illegal, the OPs description of drone use is annoying to be sure, but not likely illegal unless there is something that has been left out.

As for dogs, it is interesting that the dog has become bothersome just because of its owners bad behavior. Otoh, I do own several dogs but they are all either canine good citizens or certified therapy dogs, and not "bothersome" in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 06:29 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
That same someone who said I must have something stuck up my butt because I complained about a contractor brining his dog inside my house w/o even asking.
I definitely would not want anyone to "brine" their dog in my house! What would that end up being? A pickled pup? LOL

Old 07-04-2017, 06:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Right... and you saying "It's true!" is all the proof we need, right? Oh AND it was dark out? Really!?

Seriously, careful reaching for low flying drones, people have actually lost fingers. It has sharp, spinning blades on it.

Drone injury grounds Enrique Iglesias for longer than expected The pop singer grabbed at a camera drone during a show, slicing open several fingers and, further examination has revealed, fracturing his hand
I would hope the owner of said drone is responsible for every penny of medical costs, including lost income. Unless something explicitly allowed drones, they should not be there, especially close enough for someone to actually touch the thing. If the lights are bright, judging distance might be faulty. It would be easy to run into one without knowing its exact location.

He should have known not to try to touch it with his hand. At that distance, I'd say something solid taking it out would be fair game.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:08 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Education is key here.

The statements about not being able to fly within 5 miles of an airport are wrong.....

It's complicated, but there are different kinds of airports - and the airspace near them is regulated in different ways.

As as example, we have a busy general aviation airport here in Rhode Island (Newport State Airport) and the NFZ (no fly zone) built into the software for DJI drones is about 1.5 miles radius.

I take photos for the local land trust and so have called the airport tower at various times to inform them I would be flying nearby. They had no concerns about me being 2 miles away as any planes would already be at 500 feet or more by that distance.

Larger airports often have various "rings" around them which set the airspace. For example, our airport in Sarasota FL has one ring which says 12/40, which means that the airport only needs the airspace from 1200 feet to 4000 feet. Therefore, a drone could be flown in that ring.

Dudes who want to "just fly" should buy small toys and fly them inside their house or yard - or go to an empty field and fly around.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
Just to mention it, Drones are used for utility inspections and mapping as well. In either case, there are specific state laws and rules from your local utility you should be aware of.

For instance, in California, if I use a drone for utility inspections for my company, the rules and regulations (fine print) that all customers sign permits property access by personnel and equipment for that purpose. Mapping, when done by a licensed individual, is exempt from trespassing laws.

So shooting down the drone or damaging it with a laser might not be a great idea.
This sounds like the scourge of helicopters keeping us safe by shining their bright lights in everyone's yard. When I lived a mile from the beach, the cops had just bought themselves two copters with all the latest. So of course they had to find something to do with them. The state beach closed at 8, except for the fire pits. But they 'theorised' that the gangs inland would come down and enjoy a day at the beach, then piled in the car and go looking for places to rob. So it followed that it was 'justified' for them to fly over the nearby homes and put on the superbright spotlight to check out the back yards. This happened nightly and all summer. We didn't much use the porch anymore since they ruined our enjoyment. There were suits over it and they modified the justification, so they had to have some kind of report, but they did it anyway.

This sounds like the pathway the cops and the controllers would like drones to go. If people are still out at ten, then they *must* be up to no good, maybe, ya'think???? So we start at nine so we can see if they slipped in early.

Yes, people did get burgled occasionally, maybe from people leaving the beach, but generally they slipped in a window not locked or in some other way nobody, not even the cops and their toy, would notice. And they'd make sure the house was empty first.

No wonder people want to move to places where there's a lot of space and homes aren't lined up like boxes and there might be some privacy left. My guess is in such places, playing games with your neighbor with the drone might end up with it having a bad end.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:49 PM

730 posts, read 770,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Education is key here.

The statements about not being able to fly within 5 miles of an airport are wrong.....

It's complicated, but there are different kinds of airports - and the airspace near them is regulated in different ways.

As as example, we have a busy general aviation airport here in Rhode Island (Newport State Airport) and the NFZ (no fly zone) built into the software for DJI drones is about 1.5 miles radius.

I take photos for the local land trust and so have called the airport tower at various times to inform them I would be flying nearby. They had no concerns about me being 2 miles away as any planes would already be at 500 feet or more by that distance.

Larger airports often have various "rings" around them which set the airspace. For example, our airport in Sarasota FL has one ring which says 12/40, which means that the airport only needs the airspace from 1200 feet to 4000 feet. Therefore, a drone could be flown in that ring.

Dudes who want to "just fly" should buy small toys and fly them inside their house or yard - or go to an empty field and fly around.

Thanks for the information! It's good to know there are certain rules. I appreciate your input.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:52 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,066 times
Some FAQs and their responses from the FAA concerning drone use. Includes an explanation of the "5 mile" requirement.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/

Old 07-04-2017, 08:55 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
As someone who owns a drone, for recreational purposes, hovering directly over someone's house/yard at a low altitude seems a bit odd. I wouldn't be comfortable with that, cell phone image quality or not. But if it's at least 100 feet in the air it shouldn't be much of an issue, at least in my opinion. I prefer to fly my drone over open areas, but if there's a nice sunset or a picturesque thunderstorm rolling in I'll take mine up wherever. I've never had anyone complain to me, most people are simply curious.

People who automatically assume drone operators are on some sort of top secret spy mission need to relax. 99.99999% of drone flyers couldn't care less about you or what you're doing. Almost none of the pictures I take have people in them, and if they do, the tops of heads are only a few pixels in size.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:43 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
As someone who owns a drone, for recreational purposes, hovering directly over someone's house/yard at a low altitude seems a bit odd. I wouldn't be comfortable with that, cell phone image quality or not. But if it's at least 100 feet in the air it shouldn't be much of an issue, at least in my opinion. I prefer to fly my drone over open areas, but if there's a nice sunset or a picturesque thunderstorm rolling in I'll take mine up wherever. I've never had anyone complain to me, most people are simply curious.

People who automatically assume drone operators are on some sort of top secret spy mission need to relax. 99.99999% of drone flyers couldn't care less about you or what you're doing. Almost none of the pictures I take have people in them, and if they do, the tops of heads are only a few pixels in size.
How are people supposed to complain unless the drone flyer is within their sight?

It's not like your phone number is clearly legible on the bottom of the drone.

That said, there should be a law that all drones are registered and labeled like planes and cars, clear enough so someone with binoculars could easily read the ID.

That would give people some recourse to report a misbehaving/suspicious drone to authorities.

If your drone does not have legible identification, it should be fair game/legal to take it down.

Last edited by Annie53; 07-05-2017 at 04:04 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 04:01 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Who is saying that??

Certainly not me.

Most of what I'm trying to do here is explain which fears are real and which are exaggerated . For instance just because a drone is flying does not mean it is taking any pictures or is even pointed at you. People assume. I understand the concern, but it's similar to freaking out because someone walks onto your property carrying a cell phone. It has the ability to take pictures or video also. Regular aircraft, and Google earth regularly take pictures overhead that are increasingly detailed. What we need to decide as a society is how drones either are or are not essentially different from these two realities we already live with. And if they are different what new rules we need ? That's the question to be decided.
It is highly unlikely that your neighborhood thief or pedophile is using a plane or satellite to scope out your home.

And, how long will it be before drones are capable of taking highly detailed pictures?....only a matter of time.

I agree with you about rules, we need new laws put in place to regulate the use of drones, starting with requiring a license to make sure drone operators know the laws, just like driving a car or flying a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House