Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 11:17 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I was asked for an update, so here it is. I still have my Casper mattress & my Casper pillows too. Still love them both.
Thank you for the update. Consumer Reports agrees with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 10:46 AM

1,013 posts, read 726,161 times
I don’t think the old style foam mattresses are even made anymore. We are happy with memory foam. They are more comfortable and durable than innerspring mattresses. I have a very bad back and husband has multiple joint replacements. We feel better on memory foam .

Old 09-06-2019, 04:48 PM

2,481 posts, read 1,554,963 times
We just got our latex mattress. As is widely reported it is a bear to move upstairs into the bedroom. It’s a nice product and seems very comfortable. We have a few months to try it out, so I will likely post back with an update.

PS I stood the rolled-up mattress up and used a hand truck to get it upstairs.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:27 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
We just got our latex mattress. As is widely reported it is a bear to move upstairs into the bedroom. It’s a nice product and seems very comfortable. We have a few months to try it out, so I will likely post back with an update.

PS I stood the rolled-up mattress up and used a hand truck to get it upstairs.
Ours unfurled upside down. I wish I had a video of us...two 70-somethings...trying to flip that sucker.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ours unfurled upside down. I wish I had a video of us...two 70-somethings...trying to flip that sucker.
Lol! A couple of thoughts. We have now slept on our latex mattress for two nights. First: It smells like we are sleeping on a sheep. We are hoping the odor dissipates soon as it is pretty strong. The top layer is cotton and wool, both organic. Second: We got the medium firm that includes one 6” layer of latex at 30 ild and one 2” top layer of latex at 20 ild. It’s firm. When we sit up in bed to read before sleeping it’s a bit uncomfortable in its firmness. Sleeping has been fine. I sleep on back, side, and stomach. Any firmer and it we would need a softer topper. Staying with it so far as my wife loves it and we have slept comfortably so far.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:48 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,132,512 times
Quote:
Lol! A couple of thoughts. We have now slept on our latex mattress for two nights. First: It smells like we are sleeping on a sheep. We are hoping the odor dissipates soon as it is pretty strong. The top layer is cotton and wool, both organic. Second: We got the medium firm that includes one 6” layer of latex at 30 ild and one 2” top layer of latex at 20 ild. It’s firm. When we sit up in bed to read before sleeping it’s a bit uncomfortable in its firmness. Sleeping has been fine. I sleep on back, side, and stomach. Any firmer and it we would need a softer topper. Staying with it so far as my wife loves it and we have slept comfortably so far.
That’s funny, while there is no off gassing from this mattress, after washing the new cotton and wool mattress pad, the laundry room smelled like a wet sheep, lol. It’s a very sharp and unpleasant odor, but has mostly gone away after putting it on the bed. With a new pad, sheets and pillows, this mattress feels like sleeping in an upscale hotel.

After a couple of days, my thoughts on this mattress..it’s 100% natural latex and has the Oeko-Tex certification which is good. It has five layers, the top two are medium Talalay with an ild of 27, then three layers of Dunlop with ild ranging from 32 to 63 on the bottom. The mattress height is about 16 inches, putting it together was moderately difficult, but the finished product is comfortable. As a side sleeper, this mattress feels comfortable and supportive.

A word of caution, if anyone is thinking about switching from a memory foam to a latex mattress, the feeling will be very different. This mattress is bouncy and you do sink into the mattress more than with memory foam. After a couple of days, the pressure points that I had with the old mattress are going away. My back feels good when I wake up. This is a mattress that I like, but the jury is still out with hubs. I told him to give it a couple of weeks to see if he likes it better. At a cost of around 3k, I had expected that he would be as comfortable sleeping on this mattress as I am, but we’ll see how he feels in a couple weeks. He is having trouble getting used to the bouncy Talalay after years of memory foam.

The company offered additional discounts for Labor Day, which made me choose this mattress over the Cozy Pure latex, but we might end up back with memory foam. TBD..

Last edited by Taz22; 09-08-2019 at 03:04 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Okay. It’s been over a week with the latex mattress. I’ve included some info above, but here are some more thoughts after having slept on it for a while. Although it is a medium we find it to be firm. We have it on our box spring which is the old Westin Heavenly Bed foundation box spring. This box spring is more substantial than most so we decided to go with it. The mattress is flat; there is no puffiness or pillow top cushiness to it. It’s different than our last inner spring mattress in the way it feels, though it is not like a memory foam mattress. You don’t sink in to it. It is similar to an inner spring but feels flatter and less bouncy. There is almost no disturbance from movement and it seems to get more comfortable each night. It initially had a pretty strong odor but that has for the most part dissipated. We like it a lot. The one thing we are considering is trying a one or two inch thick mattress topper from the same company which would add another layer of cushion. We still have three months to decide to keep it. Incredible return policy. So far we recommend. Would also like to point out that this is 100% latex with a cotton and wool fabric top. This is not a memory foam.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:22 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
i have been looking for a new mattress for awhile and am still saving so I can pay for it . I was looking at mattress firm and I over heard this lady say she has been sleeping on the same mattress for 45 yrs and I was like whoa there are critters growing in that one . LOL . But I venture to say it will be a while before I buy a mattress at 3 and 4 thousand dollars that is not something I do lightly . well another thing that will have to wait a lot more pressing matters to take care of . I cannot believe mattresses have gone up so much in price . I mean honestly how do young people afford a mattress ?

Old 09-16-2019, 03:30 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
It depends on the quality of the foam. Buy a cheapie and you sink down so much it’s like being stuck in the mud! Remember, you usually get what you pay for. I had a sleep number and couldn’t give it away! They come in parts and you have to put it all together, not difficult but most people don’t want to bother! Try them out if possible. Remember that it takes a while for the mattress to feel as good as they do in the stores!

Old 09-16-2019, 04:08 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
Quote:
Okay. It’s been over a week with the latex mattress. I’ve included some info above, but here are some more thoughts after having slept on it for a while. Although it is a medium we find it to be firm. We have it on our box spring which is the old Westin Heavenly Bed foundation box spring. This box spring is more substantial than most so we decided to go with it. The mattress is flat; there is no puffiness or pillow top cushiness to it. It’s different than our last inner spring mattress in the way it feels, though it is not like a memory foam mattress. You don’t sink in to it. It is similar to an inner spring but feels flatter and less bouncy. There is almost no disturbance from movement and it seems to get more comfortable each night. It initially had a pretty strong odor but that has for the most part dissipated. We like it a lot. The one thing we are considering is trying a one or two inch thick mattress topper from the same company which would add another layer of cushion. We still have three months to decide to keep it. Incredible return policy. So far we recommend. Would also like to point out that this is 100% latex with a cotton and wool fabric top. This is not a memory foam.
Latex is known to have a bouncy quality. It is often used in wheelchair cushions because it is soft, but doesn't squish down - it has some resistance to it. You will probably prefer having a memory foam topper over the latex, and a protective allergy cover on the mattress topper so moisture doesn't get into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House