Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 04:16 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times

Advertisements

The old memory foam mattress was great for over twelve years, until it finally wasn’t. After doing a lot of research, I decided that latex is a good choice. Many mattress companies have latex mattresses, although I wasn’t familiar with them until recently. After reading every mattress article out there and going to various websites, I learned about Talalay and Dunlop and this new mattress is a combination of both. After trying a mattress store where the bed had Talalay on top, it really is a very comfortable material. It’s not cheap, but it’s supposed to be durable and I like the fact that the layers can be taken apart and moved individually, it should make things easier when it comes time to move.

Tempurpedic was a possibility, but after reading a lot of negative reviews, decided to opt out. Maybe the company is under new management or they are using cheaper materials, but a bed that costs several thousand should have mostly happy customers. I was surprised to read all the one and two star reviews on a Tempurpedic bed.

I liked Purple beds, Cozy Pure, Casper Wave and Boll & Branch the best. They have good products, but narrowing them down took a month or more. I finally went with another company's latex beds, because they had the best deal, and a good reputation. Like dcfas, I hope this new latex mattress works out, since mattress shopping is stressful, with too much information and too many mattress stores online.

Last edited by Taz22; 09-02-2019 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 05:38 PM

2,481 posts, read 1,553,824 times
The king sized, 9” mattress we ordered is all natural latex with cotton and wool fabric. It has two layers of latex, Dunlop foam: six inches of ild 34, and two inches of 20 ild. It weighs 150lbs. Ild is a measure of density/firmness. This is their medium firm mattress. Should arrive within a few days. Will post back. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:29 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
The king sized, 9” mattress we ordered is all natural latex with cotton and wool fabric. It has two layers of latex, Dunlop foam: six inches of ild 34, and two inches of 20 ild. It weighs 150lbs. Ild is a measure of density/firmness. This is their medium firm mattress. Should arrive within a few days. Will post back. Fingers crossed.
I'm really looking forward to your report, and reports from everyone else, too. We need a new mattress, and I have to stop researching and make a decision.

Which brand did you buy?

Old 09-02-2019, 06:48 PM

2,481 posts, read 1,553,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I'm really looking forward to your report, and reports from everyone else, too. We need a new mattress, and I have to stop researching and make a decision.

Which brand did you buy?
Sfbb,
Pm sent.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:22 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Like... just foam? Probably not lol.

However, memory foam mattresses are good. I generally prefer gel topped memory foam mattresses as the memory foam isn't as breathable, thus making it hotter. Gel is generally pretty expensive though, so I went with pillow top 3in memory foam 6 in. There's also density to consider. Medium, low, high density.

After years of good mattresses, I detest spring mattresses. They hurt my back pretty bad.
I won’t ever buy those terrible pillow top mattresses and even most good mattress sales people will steer you away unless you look like a gullible customer and then they’ll take you for all you got. They almost immediately crater every time, even my 115 pound fiancé has a giant crater on her side of the bed after just 3 years. I won’t pay a premium anymore for mattresses because it feels like the most expensive ones are actually the worst. Memory foam is a deal breaker for me. Garbage.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:59 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I've had both kinds. My back thinks a good form mattress is better than a good regular spring mattress, and I always listen to my back. I currently have a Casper mattress and love it.
I was asked for an update, so here it is. I still have my Casper mattress & my Casper pillows too. Still love them both.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
We have had a latex foam rubber mattress for over 20 years. WE love it. They are expensive though. I could not afford one now. IT is very hard to move though. Takes six people. (Calking).

Old 09-03-2019, 10:56 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have had a latex foam rubber mattress for over 20 years. WE love it. They are expensive though. I could not afford one now. IT is very hard to move though. Takes six people. (Calking).
Sounds as though your mattress is in one piece, I bet that is heavy. The mattress we just purchased is in layers, some Talalay, some Dunlop. For moving, the company says to roll up each layer and put in a plastic bag.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:38 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have a solid one-piece talalay latex mattress as well. I nick-named it "Moby" since it weighs so much. The only complaint I ever had about it was that since I used to sit up in bed and watch television, the top end would eventually depress down somewhat. So every 3 months or so I would have my yard guys rotate it end-to-end, but now I don't want to get them out here to town to do that. Considering how much I paid for it though, I'm going to have it moved upstairs to the "master" bedroom that I don't use, since I bought a lightweight Sleep Number for my regular use, although I can't get that to monitor my sleep cycles.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:04 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
I bought a purple mattress a few months ago, and am pretty happy with it. I think when I get some $$$ I am going to get the adjustable frame for it which will be better for my problem spine. And yes, pillow tops are the WORST for just about anyone......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House