Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 08:44 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,568 times

Advertisements

R. V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Except OP has stated that they cannot perform the labor themselves, this still requires a foundation, a door would be nice, and it gets cold in the winter.
1) Airkrete is lightweight
2) And your point is?
3) Who says there's no door?
4) Airkrete IS insulation.

. . .

Reviews and Testimonials | Airkrete - Commercial and Residential Reviews and Testimonials r

DIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSLJCPR1Prw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR8KiyLUWI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OUgqlzDIrw&t=901s

SHANTY BOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OttgPFvGQYI

Old 06-10-2018, 03:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Hit the local manufactured home dealers. They take trade-ins all the time. Some, they’re just going to scrap them. They’re already hauling it away. They can haul it to your lot.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:19 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Build a yurt.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:44 AM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
What are you talking about? The American house is already cheap housing. It's just being SOLD astronomically.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:01 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
1) Airkrete is lightweight
2) And your point is?
3) Who says there's no door?
4) Airkrete IS insulation.
Fair point. Airkrete is insulation. According to their website the R-value us 3.9/ inch, so a 5” thickness as you spoke of earlier would have an R value of 19.5, or about 1/2 the minimum attic recommended insulation for the OPs area.

One thing that airkrete ISN’T, and this is important, is structural. I understand that you are enamoured with this stuff, but it isn’t an appropriate material for building a shelter.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:34 PM

765 posts, read 473,978 times
move back in with mom and dad for the next 8 or so months....come spring time next year you too can be the proud owner of the cheapest house on this planet, brand new, cutting edge technology of foam concrete houses.....there are many companies doing this now....long a standard in the european housing industry..... just google the information ..... you can even order the plans yourself, order a pre-fab house made of concrete foam....do it yourself with the help of a local contractor who has access to expandable concrete foam..... any way you cut it, this definitely fits into your five grand budget and you'll be the talk of the town!!!!!!!! how exciting you get to try this new technology now!!!!! here is a sample site for you to read about the technology. https://www.iconbuild.com/

Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I was looking at cheap RVs for my son who is moving to Austin and cannot afford an apartment there. I found some decent ones for less than $10K. They are old but have the necessities. One example was a 21' toyota. bedroom (loft) bathroom with a shower, kitchen and living area alleged to be working well with no leaks and not problems. Asking $6,999 or something like that. That has got to be the cheapest way to do it, but many municipalities will not allow permanent living in an RV.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
How about something like this? They're in Washington.

Jun 12 1966 Stream Line Countess-28'- with title! Rare $6000 (Naches)

Jun 11 1978 Wilderness Camp Trailer $2250 (Yakima County)

This one is especially nice for the price:

Jun 7 Komfort travel trailer $6000 (Selah)

Here's one in the Spokane area:

Jun 13 1981 25ft Prowler $3300 (Usk)

And in it's day this old Boles Aero was the primo Trailer, along with the Silver Streak and the Airstream, all founded by three brothers. This would be my pick for permanent living. I already have a similar Silver Streak or I would be getting this one.
Jun 13 Boles Aero Nonpareil XL 5th Wheel $6500 (Western Washington)

My husband and I lived in one of these travel trailers for two years when we were young. Used ones can be found that are really economical and many of them have been little used....almost in new condition. It was good comfortable living. Check on craigslist in your area. I'm sure you'll find something nice.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And I do mean really, really, really cheap housing.

In 11 days I will be the proud owner of an acre of land with no restrictions on building or developing the lot. By state law, I can't camp on it for more than 6 months. So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions for a single person house, around 300 to 500 sq ft, maybe $5000 (less is always better), that can be built on the land and later be hooked up to water and electric and retrofitted so that I can get a permit for living in it?

With raw land it is not just the building that you have to consider. Do you have city water and sewer? Is electric close by? I would start by finding out the costs for either hooking up to the city or the costs of a well and septic if needed. And electric can be very costly bringing it into your home.

Then check with the county. How much are the permits? Will they require an architect to design your plans? That can be costly. Do they have an impact fee?

These truly need to be known before you start. My husband and I are building right now and our 1000 sq ft structure costs less than all of the infrastructure and county fees.

Cheapest housing without having to "build" anything would be a used travel trailer. Is that considered camping? If so then you could convert a shed but you will need help.
https://www.thetinyhouse.net/tiny-house-shed/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House