Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing some great recommendations for this gadget. I have 18" white-with-beige-swirls tile and (I think) white grout - I say "I think" because a lot of the grout is beige to yellowy. The tile starts in the foyer and then runs to the right down a hall and into a bath, and runs left down a hall and into the kitchen prep area (that has an island) and beyond into the kitchen eating area and the adjacent sun room. Off the foyer the tile is bordered by the open dining room and living room, and at the bedroom doors, the flooring is wall-to-wall carpet. The family room, adjacent to the kitchen eating area, has a wood floor, separated from the tile with a raised piece of wood.

So, my question, would a Scooba be able to help me with all this dang tile and help keep the grout clean? I'm kind of tired of the down-on-the-hands-n-knees thing with a toothbrush to clean the grout that gets dirtier the fastest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I have all hardwoods on first floor and tile baths on second. I had looked at a Scooba for several years and then when I saw one go on sale . . . w/ free shipping! . . . I took the plunge.

I had my doubts. Seems too good to be true! Well, that little sucker does such a fabulous job on the hardwoods - it looks like the floor has been hand buffed! DH and I used it 2 times a week in bad weather (shoes, doggie prints). The floors look professional buffed when Scooba finishes. We stand there and just admire how pristine and perfect the floors look!

As for tile, I set my Scooba loose in the bathrooms and when it finishes . . . I go in and - unbelievable! The grout comes out so nice! We have white tile w/ white grout! Now we did replace grout last year so it is very very white. We sealed it well, too, but somehow the dog paws or her slobbering at nite discolors the grout. We wipe up the floor w/ a wet mop sometimes but it never gets the discolor out of the grout. The little brushes on Scooba get down into the grout - and the tile and grout looks wonderful when finished.

My sister was so impressed - she bought one, too. She has white tile and white grout in her kitchen/family room/eat in area/laundry/hall/bath. She swears it is a Miracle Machine. We are all very very pleased. I highy recommend Scooba!!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 PM
PNH

44 posts, read 222,552 times
Does the Scooba clean with water? How does that work with hardwood floors?

And I have a Golden Retreiver--any chance it would take care of that much pet hair?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:21 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
how does this gadget get into corners and perform on edges?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
I love my Scooba and highly recommend them. I have three big & hairy dogs, one of whom is a Shepherd/Chow/Lab mix who shed about ten pounds when he sneezes lol. Anyway, with a dirt backyard and cheap, light linoleum that I will get around to replacing, you can imagine how dirty my floors can get. With the Scooba my floors and grout look brand new and I barely have to lift a finger. It's awesome.

As for corners and edges, that is the only bad thing about Scooba. I end up just using the Swiffer Wet Jet for the corners and then I am done.

Hope that info helps!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:35 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,670,577 times
Last year my wife broke her arm and I had by-pass surgery and could not clean our hardwood floors. I bought a scooba and now wonder how I did without it.

It cleans with water and a low foamimg detergent. No problem on sealed hardware as it also squeegees and vacuums the liquid leaving just a damp floor.

It also works on our tile bathrooms and gets floors cleaner than I was getting them by hand because it makes multiple passes.

It has a brush that will pick up dirt. I always do a quick sweep job as sometimes things, including dog hair, get under squeegee and cause it to leave more liquid than I like.

Edges are no problem.It has an edge sensor. Will not fall down stairs. The round machine does not do inside corners.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I agree with all the praise posted above. The Scoobas are awesome at washing; I just wish iRobot made a mini-Scooba for bathrooms and tight areas. But be forewarned: one Scooba/Roomba is too many and a dozen wouldnt be enough....

Card-Carrying Member of "Roombas-and-Scoobas-Anonymous"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House