Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There have always been nosy people with so much time on their hands that spy on everyone in the neighborhood. They just keep from complaining about how others in the neighborhood are living their lives.

What they need to do, is get a hobby, so they don't have time to spy on neighbors to see.

I know of one retired woman in St George Utah, who could not wander around very large senior citizen track of homes, fast enough to meet her goals. Her husband bought her a motor scooter, so she could do the entire tract of homes twice a day. Her goal was to find who in the neighborhood, had broken some rule so she could report them to the board.

I had a sister in law in Phoenix AZ area, living in a very expensive home with a HOA. Their home backed onto a Canal. Some one of these neighborhood spies had taken a boat and went along the canal that was the one boundary for the home tract looking for violations. Spotted a bird feeder under their patio cover that was slightly different than the allowed color for feeders, and they were told to remove it or paint it the approved colors. Not seen from any of the housing track, and illegal to use a boat in the irrigation canal, but someone like the OP who watches what neighbors do, took a small boat down the canal to find any problem they could report to get people in trouble.
I have personally noticed this with long time acquaintance now suffering from Dementia... these were neighbors I have know since childhood and widows now.

It gets exhausting... a car can't turn around or a person leave their home without them at the window... in some ways it is a private neighborhood watch... but I could not do it.

I was visiting one and she could tell me everything about everyone... plus each time the huge Brown Truck stops next door... UPS or that the neighbors had a truck with 4 men make a delivery and they were there a long time... hot tub.

Kind of sad but looking out the window is the highlight of their day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 08:19 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
Most cookie cutter newer construction I see (under say 3500 sq ft homes) will have small two car garages which don’t leave much room for storage...especially for a family of 4 or 5. If these neighborhoods weren’t so regulated someone might be better off forgoing the attached garage completely and just build a much larger detached garage behind the house...but then again these neighborhoods usually have 1/4 acre or less so there goes the backyard.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:13 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,912,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Why the puzzled expression Annie? You're from Ohio......
Urban Meyer is stepping down at Ohio State after the Rose Bowl and current assistant Ryan Day will become the Buckeyes' new head coach, sources have told Yahoo Sports.
Meyer's unexpected decision to leave the program is due in part to growing health concerns, per

Old 01-20-2019, 08:23 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,912,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Sounds like a plan! Can you suggest an area where I can get 20-30 acres of land, an old house with outbuildings, a very mild winter (compared to the northeast) for under 200K? My vision of CA is expensive but I'm sure there are reasonable places somewhere and I'm looking to move.... (no HOA)
The high desert, Victorville/Barstow area. half way between LA and Vegas. Nothing but desert farther than the eye can see or the car can drive. Land is cheap because there is so much of it.

Mild winter? I lived there 12 years and I think I saw snow maybe a couple of times, but it was gone in a few hours. Gets a little toasty in the summer, 100 degrees would be a cool day, but no humidity and never once saw a mosquito..
Here is an example, 19 acres for $240k, will take your car or camper for down payment.. Come on out, the weather is fine...
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...783464660.html
Here is a 10 acre plot for $190K, get packing that suitcase, we look foreword to having you for a neighbor....
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...795993350.html

Old 01-20-2019, 11:40 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
The high desert, Victorville/Barstow area. half way between LA and Vegas. Nothing but desert farther than the eye can see or the car can drive. Land is cheap because there is so much of it.

Mild winter? I lived there 12 years and I think I saw snow maybe a couple of times, but it was gone in a few hours. Gets a little toasty in the summer, 100 degrees would be a cool day, but no humidity and never once saw a mosquito..
Here is an example, 19 acres for $240k, will take your car or camper for down payment.. Come on out, the weather is fine...
Here is a 10 acre plot for $190K, get packing that suitcase, we look foreword to having you for a neighbor....
But the poster said they want a house included at that price, not just some useless land. Note there no other houses, just lots of desert.

There have been lots of those type developments, people from out of the area buy some of the lots, but no one builds on them. A lot just let them go to the county for taxes. A lot of them just walk away losing all their investment.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:31 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
But the poster said they want a house included at that price, not just some useless land. Note there no other houses, just lots of desert.

There have been lots of those type developments, people from out of the area buy some of the lots, but no one builds on them. A lot just let them go to the county for taxes. A lot of them just walk away losing all their investment.
I love the sound of that winter! But oldtrader is right, I don't want to have to build. Ideally I'd love an old farm.

I did look up the area and found some with houses and land, but either they were crazy expensive (nearing a million or more) or they were run down trailers. Still a bit more expensive than the western Appalachia area

Old 01-21-2019, 12:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I love the sound of that winter! But oldtrader is right, I don't want to have to build. Ideally I'd love an old farm.

I did look up the area and found some with houses and land, but either they were crazy expensive (nearing a million or more) or they were run down trailers. Still a bit more expensive than the western Appalachia area
You are trying to look at the west, to find a place you can buy acreage, with a real home on the property, and at the same time wanting to pay Appalachian Prices. Not going to happen. Property out west is expensive and getting higher priced.

Cheaper land parcels, will usually require you keep a water truck, which is an old pickup with a 350 gallon plastic water tank on the back, and you have to haul the water to your property. Be rough terrain, and often with difficult access.

Some of these will give you an idea for prices and what you get. And Montana farm land is not near as expensive as some places.

https://www.landandfarm.com/search/M...Farm-for-sale/

Montana Ranches, Farm, Homes, Land, Recreation, Commercial Real Estate

And the cheaper 20 to 40 acre bare lots, may cost you $20,000 or more to bring electricity to you site and many other expenses to develop the lot.

The cheaper the lot, the more worthless the property is, just a big building lot.

For what you are looking for, the Appalachia area is the place for you to look, not the west.

I spent from 1972 until I retired as an investment real estate broker, and know a little about the real estate business, involved with property all over the west, in 1031 real estate exchanges.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:35 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,287,141 times
After this latest snowstorm, I am looking even more forward to having a garage again. I'm hoping today was the last time I will have to dig my car out of multiple feet of snow.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,765 times
For me, it is because the garages are getting smaller and smaller with each new construction. It takes some effort to park in there without bumping into sidewalls or something in the garage. I only do it when snow or rain is expected otherwise my car is happy in the driveway.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:09 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
After this latest snowstorm, I am looking even more forward to having a garage again. I'm hoping today was the last time I will have to dig my car out of multiple feet of snow.
It depends how long your driveway is. Sometimes I'd rather park closer to the street, or even on the street, than mess with shoveling the entire driveway from apron to garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House