Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 08:19 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,051,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Obviously in Florida, I suppose people don't need to worry about snow. But in parts of the country that get snow people are freezing, leaving their wipers up, heating up their car......while I go to the garage, press the opener to lift the door, and pull right out.
Whoopte-Do. Good for you.

How dare some people choose to live without garages, and in (gasp!) periodically snowy climates no less! Oh yes, how dare they experience a couple minutes of being uncomfortable, if it even bothers them that much.

Those inferior people who don't own garages are clearly missing out, especially compared to someone refined such as yourself who presses a button to start their car "and pull right out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Whoopte-Do. Good for you.

How dare some people choose to live without garages, and in (gasp!) periodically snowy climates no less! Oh yes, how dare they experience a couple minutes of being uncomfortable, if it even bothers them that much.

Those inferior people who don't own garages are clearly missing out, especially compared to someone refined such as yourself who presses a button to start their car "and pull right out".
Uh, this thread is about having a garage and not using it for cars.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:48 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
Quote:
A carport in the front of a house is more of an eyesore than a garage, imho.
I'm 1000% with you on that!

Quote:
I don't care about digging car out of snow so don't worry about me
Oh, I'm not worried about you on little bit. Don't worry about that! I'm quite sure you can take care of yourself. (And that's a good thing.)

Thanks, 3shipguy, .

Old 01-08-2019, 07:21 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I cannot stand car ports. I think they are awful. would rather have nothing.
But a porte-cochère can be nice

(not my photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Shocked by the Number of People Who Have a Garage But Don't Put Their Car In It-screen-shot-2019-01-08-9.13.06  

Old 01-08-2019, 07:51 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Honestly I just feel like, if I am not inconveniencing my neighbors, and I'm not creating an eyesore with an open garage door to a portal of unsightly crap, then it's my business and nobody else's what I'm doing with my garage. My neighborhood has a ton of parking spaces and street parking (on a street behind the neighborhood, NOT in front of other people's homes) and I see no reason why using my garage for storage merits being anybody's "pet peeve." So yeah, I have to clear snow and ice off my car sometimes. Again, my business, not yours.

People need to calm the heck down about what others are doing. Maybe it's just having grown up in the DC burbs but I know a thing or two about minding my own business.

I find it odd that people would actually get upset about what others are doing if it really doesn't affect them.

Now if your neighbors are parking a bunch of cars on the street, making it hard to maneuver or taking up all the parking in front of YOUR house, or if they're making the neighborhood ugly in some way, I can understand. But plenty of people who use the garage for storage aren't imposing on anybody in any way. I dunno. I've lived in places, as I mentioned, where being nosy is a good way to get shot or something, so the urge to peer into a neighbor's garage and judge them on it is totally foreign and strange to me. I do not get it.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
I noticed the guy who is so self-righteous about what other people do with their own cars and their own garages has announced that he goes whichever way he wants in one way parking lot lanes. He sure knows how to pick his battles and rationalize his behavior.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
You do know those two things have nothing do to with each other, right?
And, wondering about something, even being shocked by it, doesn't equate to being self-righteous about it.
Furthermore, I haven't rationalized anything.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:29 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
But a porte-cochère can be nice

(not my photo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
A carport does not offer as much protection as a garage from thievery, vandalism, animals and weather.

During a storm wind can blow rain and snow into a carport and onto the car and you accessing the car.

And, unless they are built as part of the home originally, they look cheap.

So no, carports are not nicer than a garage by any stretch of the imagination.
EXACTLY what I was talking about! Thanks for the pic! {That's actually very attractive.}

Old 01-09-2019, 02:57 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
Not necessarily stronger. The real reason engineered trusses are used is, as it always is: money. They're cheaper and don't require any construction experience to employ.

The big downside, besides no attic space, is they're an absolute disaster in a fire. Most fire departments have an unwritten rule that truss roof homes should be left to burn - way too dangerous to enter.
Not true. Here in the west they fight fires in all homes, and an attic is about unheard of.

80% of homes are built with trusses today. Especially in earthquake, high wind areas, and heavy snow load areas, as they are a stronger and safer roof. As today a lot of people want an open floor plan, a truss roof can give the ability to support a roof over a wide area, that requires interior support walls if site built.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:54 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
We have a 3700 sq foot custom home on 5 acres across the county road from the best part of our small town. Our garage is 36x36 feet. 2 doors so more room for cars. We have metal storage shelves on both sides of garage for storage, and 5 feet between garage doors. Back of garage, is a 4 foot deep raised area concrete platform fo or additional storage and door into the house. In addition we have a large metal pole barn 150 feet from the the house, so we have lots of storage, and a place to keep our cars inside.

2 stables off of barn where we keep our tractor with mower for summer, and take off mower and install snow blade in winter. Our home sits back from road with a private 500 ft lane,so we need our snow plow. Landscaped area is 1 acre, with mature trees so need a tractor with mower to maintain it. We have a man come in use our equipment to take care of the place, as at 87 years old I don't care to do it any longer.

So we have lots of storage, and cars inside, as well as a place to keep a tractor, mower, and snow blade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House