Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 03:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times

Advertisements

Nice to have options...

Just because a space is called a garage doesn't equate suitability for parking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 04:30 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, there is always a question of room in one's gear intensive active life.

Long story short, the way I currently solve that is to use the pickup bed in the garage for additional storage. The problem with it is that if the pickup is exercised at least once a month if it is not in active use, then the bed does have to be emptied....and that usually means into the space where the F-250 sits and then back again.

No Zodiacs yet and when I do.....hopefully I will have a barn by then.

Of course, it helps to have 10 acres.
Hence my comment about mitigating reasons....

Some folks have 4-wheelers, kyaks, their kids prom float, grandma moved in and is sentimental to her furniture or the largest collection of pokemon cards in the world.

That being said, most...just have piles of crap in their garage.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:39 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
We have a 480 sq ft garage and we park a car in it every once in a while.

Overhead racks take care of our storage needs.

our home is over 3500 sq ft we don't need more space.

it's a pain pulling out of the swing-in side entry garage and backing down the loooooooong driveway. Far easier to just park in the parking pad outside of the garage and just back down the driveway.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:44 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,657,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

I just like a nice looking, neat, organized garage. That's all.

You and me both.

Selhars, you may enjoy this short video about a small, neat, organized garage. (No, it isn't mine.) "The floor is NOT a shelf."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lCrlVhwHnE

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 01-04-2019 at 05:55 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 08:00 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
Nice garage!

Old 01-04-2019, 09:04 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,445 times
I like having a garage, so I could park my car in it if I wanted to. I don't care what others do or not do with their garages.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:12 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
One of the major attractions for us of a house is a very large garage, with at least some storage area beyond 2 car bays. That way there's a place to put each car, plus the kids bicycles, tools, work bench, etc. But I have to admit, there sure is a lot of junk (at least to my eye) in there. But it's my spouse's domain, so it's up to him how that space is kept.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:33 PM

181 posts, read 166,921 times
OP, I am with you. A garage is for cars. A bit of storage on shelves, yes, but cars are the stars (of the garage show).

And I get your "shocked" - you are annoyed. So am I when I see my neighbors park their cars just outside their garage. Get a Tuff Shed for your ham radio shack, man!

Two more car-related pet peeves of mine (but more to do with drivers than cars):
1. People backing into parking spaces.
2. People driving with their disabled placards hanging.

Need I mention turn signals?

Old 01-05-2019, 10:09 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,657,027 times
My view is there is a place for everything. Kitchen things should be in the kitchen; no pots & pans should be in a bedroom. Dining room items should be in the dining room or butler's pantry; no serving platters or chafing dishes in a guest bedroom.

And automobiles, tools & supplies should be in the garage. If the garage is also a shop, then shop tools & supplies should be in the garage.

The garage is not a general storage area.

And the floor is NOT a shelf. The only thing that should be on the floor are the 4 tires of a car (or 8 tires of two cars, etc); everything else should be inside a cabinet or on shelving.

Whenever Mrs. RationalExpectations wants to put something that doesn't fit the automotive/shop category into the garage, I bring it out of the garage and into the living room. "That doesn't belong in the Living Room," she says; I respond "Neither does it belong in the Garage."

When she wants to hold onto the Cuisinart box and wants it to be in the Garage, I bring it back into the house. The garage has a purpose, and its purpose is not to store Cuisinart boxes - or wrapping paper, or Christmas lights/ornaments or "other." I don't store my tools in the master bedroom for obvious reasons. I won't store suitcases in the garage for the same obvious reason.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:11 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times
So am I. Right now garage full of stuff from my parents house (cleanout after my Dad passed), but I will get my truck back in the garage ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House