Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 09:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 630,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
But would you say car prowling of cars parked outside occurs much more frequently than actual house break-ins? Certainly appears to be the case here.

fact. absolutely true, however a car outside with lights vs a car outside with no lights, lights will deter thieves again.

motion sensors also trigger people, I prefer just to keep a lot of lumens out front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 03:11 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
Quote:
My parking pet peeve.....people driving the wrong way down one way aisles in parking lots.
I do that. Not all the time but I will do it if I feel like it.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:30 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
We don’t have basements so many use their garage to store junk. You see a 50,000 car sitting out and getting pounded by the elements while their garage is stuffed with maybe 1,000 of junk. Got to keep the kids old high chairs and toys safe. LOL. Crazy.....

Old 01-07-2019, 07:19 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,912,909 times
People who stuff their garages with junk are one of my pet peeves. My theory is, you couldn't find anything in there if you needed it, so why keep it? Mostly because they are to lazy to do anything about it. If you store it in the garage, you don't need it, so get rid of it..!!
I currently have a three car garage, but now only have one car. At any time there is room for three cars, I absolutely refuse to allow anything to clutter my garage, it's made for vehicles, not for storage.
When I moved in, I spent a large dollar on having a profession carpenter build a high storage shelf that goes around three sides and custom cabinets and work bench. The floor is painted and I regularly blow it out and mop it during the summer months. It is as clean and neat as the inside of the house. I often wonder if the people with a garage full of junk keep the inside of the house like their garage. Probably

I live in So Calif, so not a lot of snow and ice, but the only time my car has ever been parked in the driveway is to wash it. The temperatures here destroy a vehicle kept outside, fade the paint, rot the rubber, fog the clear headlight cover, etc. Weather is hard on a vehicle. When I sell one of my cars, I can advertise it as "Always garaged". It is a big selling point. Vehicles stay like new forever when always garaged.

With that said, I really don't care if the neighbors want to store junk, my complaint is having a neighborhood that resembles a used car lot, with driveways overflowing with vehicles and the overflow parked all over the street. My next door neighbor have more cars than drivers, and a non usable garage. Their driveway is full of cars, along with several in the street and they frequently park some of their overflow in front of my house and across the street. They think nothing of this inconsiderate habit, it drives my tidy little mind to distraction. I don't want cars parked in front of my house, that is low class..!
There are two other homes on this cul de sac that also have driveways full of cars along with the streets out front full. It looks like the slums. There are a few other houses where you never see a car, the people pull in their garages and close the door when the arrive home. Those are good neighbors.

Every day I hope to find the offending neighbors are going to sell and move, probably no such luck so we grin and bear it.
I already have an email ready to send to the HOA this morning because another neighbor has a 40' motor home parked out front and it's been there for over a week now. I waited patiently expecting him to move it over the weekend, but now it Monday and it's still there, so he gets reported today.
I'm an admitted neat freak and these slobs offend me...!

Last edited by Grumpy ol' Man; 01-07-2019 at 08:38 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 09:39 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Vehicles stay like new forever when always garaged.

No they don't. They stay like new forever if you garage them AND never drive them.

I had an always garaged car that still developed rust because it was a daily driver in the northeast. I even had a garage at work for a few years. It probably took longer to rust than comparable cars that were always outside, but it still developed rust.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:54 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
People who stuff their garages with junk are one of my pet peeves. My theory is, you couldn't find anything in there if you needed it, so why keep it? Mostly because they are too lazy to do anything about it. If you store it in the garage, you don't need it, so get rid of it..!!
By your logic, my family must not use the water heater, washer, dryer, tools, or bicycles, because they are in the garage and are therefore unnecessary junk.

People who have adequate storage space for all of the above without using the garage need to realize how privileged they are.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,512,222 times
A lot of people are just packrats. They'd fill a 4-car garage up with crap if they had one. I hate parking my cars outside. Having a big garage is one of my favorite things after living in a condo and parking outside for years.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:26 AM

949 posts, read 573,485 times
A carport is easier to use for a vehicle and nicer in my opinion. Garages are built right in front of a the home and are usually ugly. I wont even consider a home with a garage in the front.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:31 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
We don’t have basements so many use their garage to store junk. You see a 50,000 car sitting out and getting pounded by the elements while their garage is stuffed with maybe 1,000 of junk. Got to keep the kids old high chairs and toys safe. LOL. Crazy.....

Every house on my street has a two car garage. I can count on one hand the number of people who have 2 cars parked in there.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:49 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
People who stuff their garages with junk are one of my pet peeves. My theory is, you couldn't find anything in there if you needed it, so why keep it? Mostly because they are to lazy to do anything about it. If you store it in the garage, you don't need it, so get rid of it..!!
I currently have a three car garage, but now only have one car. At any time there is room for three cars, I absolutely refuse to allow anything to clutter my garage, it's made for vehicles, not for storage.
When I moved in, I spent a large dollar on having a profession carpenter build a high storage shelf that goes around three sides and custom cabinets and work bench. The floor is painted and I regularly blow it out and mop it during the summer months. It is as clean and neat as the inside of the house. I often wonder if the people with a garage full of junk keep the inside of the house like their garage. Probably

I live in So Calif, so not a lot of snow and ice, but the only time my car has ever been parked in the driveway is to wash it. The temperatures here destroy a vehicle kept outside, fade the paint, rot the rubber, fog the clear headlight cover, etc. Weather is hard on a vehicle. When I sell one of my cars, I can advertise it as "Always garaged". It is a big selling point. Vehicles stay like new forever when always garaged.

With that said, I really don't care if the neighbors want to store junk, my complaint is having a neighborhood that resembles a used car lot, with driveways overflowing with vehicles and the overflow parked all over the street. My next door neighbor have more cars than drivers, and a non usable garage. Their driveway is full of cars, along with several in the street and they frequently park some of their overflow in front of my house and across the street. They think nothing of this inconsiderate habit, it drives my tidy little mind to distraction. I don't want cars parked in front of my house, that is low class..!
There are two other homes on this cul de sac that also have driveways full of cars along with the streets out front full. It looks like the slums. There are a few other houses where you never see a car, the people pull in their garages and close the door when the arrive home. Those are good neighbors.

Every day I hope to find the offending neighbors are going to sell and move, probably no such luck so we grin and bear it.
I already have an email ready to send to the HOA this morning because another neighbor has a 40' motor home parked out front and it's been there for over a week now. I waited patiently expecting him to move it over the weekend, but now it Monday and it's still there, so he gets reported today.
I'm an admitted neat freak and these slobs offend me...!
Are you serious? I store a lot of stuff in my garage that I use all the time, just not every day. I show dogs, and have popup tents, crates, mats, wagons, coolers, etc in my garage that I use about twice a month. When I'm not using them, I'm not going to store them in my house or cart them around in my car. So yes, they go in the garage. And no, they're not junk.

The audacity of folks that have decided because they do something a certain way, that it's the "only" way to do things. That anything in a garage is junk. And that folks that don't part their cars in a garage are trashy scum, and not good neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House