Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 07:56 AM

654 posts, read 632,355 times

Advertisements

I find the likelihood to use the garage as a place to regularly park your car is inversely related to the degree of red neckishness of the people who occupy the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
OMG! It's blasphemy!

No; really? Geez, you really have too much time on your hands if "you're" shocked by someone else's living habits within their own house. Perhaps you could be an "observer" for the CIA!?
lol

Old 01-03-2019, 08:19 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A friend of mine turned his into a gym. Pretty nice, the car is just fine being outside.
Yup..that's what i did Boxus...

Old 01-03-2019, 11:21 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It's not the value of the car you should be comparing it to, but rather the value of storing the car in the garage. Compare that to the value of storing whatever random stuff you have in the garage -- bearing in mind that that random stuff often needs to be stored indoors (unlike a car) and is probably a lot easier to steal.
Excellent point. Advanced consumer economics material

There's not just cost, but opportunity cost, level of risk, etc.

There really should be a class on this that's taught in high school, that teaches making choices with a given scarcity of resources for renters and homeowners.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,561,846 times
While I'm not "shocked" when I see someone parking outside of their garage, I too shake my head sometimes when I see a large garage jammed full of stuff with a nice shiny car or two sitting outside all covered in snow and whatnot. I have a garage at my office. I consider one of my life's little blessings as the ability to go from warm garage to warm garage when it's pouring down rain or cold or snowy or whatever... But, different strokes for different folks as well!

I'm like the OP - my garage is organized and treated like functional living space for me. I have a 3 car (one single door, one double door) that houses 2 cars while our 3rd parks outside along the side of the house. We use the 3rd space for the kids stuff mostly, as we're still in that stage where we have a few Powerwheel toys for the kids.

Honestly, the garage was a huge selling point for me. It's deep enough that I can have a large work area to hide from my kids (has TV and heater). I like to sit there and tinker with my tools. We have wood garage doors that do a good job of insulating the space from the winter winds. It's probably one of my all time favorite places to be. Would like to tile the floor at some point in the future when I'm done using it as a work shop / paint spray booth. When we looked at the house to consider buying it, the garage was loaded with boxes and random crap, along with a sofa in the middle of it. I figured the owners were in the process of moving. I later learned the husband sat on that sofa, chain smoked and drank tequila while listening to Foghat most of the time (he had a stereo wired up). He is also the same idiot who sprayed all of the trees with roundup because a bee stung him (idiot). The neighbors don't miss them. They say one of the things they appreciate about us is that our driveway isn't packed with cars anymore (they had 4, all outside).

Old 01-03-2019, 11:34 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
Even if its empty, ours can't fit more than the family hauler so dad's commuter car sits outside. Not a big deal here as I use a cover most of the time.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
OMG! It's blasphemy!

No; really? Geez, you really have too much time on your hands if "you're" shocked by someone else's living habits within their own house. Perhaps you could be an "observer" for the CIA!?
That was my thought. Why do you care if someone uses their own garage that they are paying for or not?

Old 01-03-2019, 11:47 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
Quote:
I have a garage at my office. I consider one of my life's little blessings as the ability to go from warm garage to warm garage when it's pouring down rain or cold or snowy or whatever... But, different strokes for different folks as well!
Isn't that great!. I had that too.
I parked in the garage at home....AND our office building had underground parking.
In the dead of winter, I never wore a coat, and didn't need an umbrella! (Our office building also had an Au Bon Pain downstairs with a back door for employees, so I didn't even had to leave the building to get an impromptu lunch!)

Old 01-03-2019, 11:55 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
Quote:
That was my thought. Why do you care if someone uses their own garage that they are paying for or not?
It's called idle curiosity = wanting to know something for no specific reason: “Why do you want to know?” “Oh, just idle curiosity.”

Know what else I wonder about? Why some people insist on adding nothing to a discussion, other than wondering why other people are interested in the topic. And those people do it all the time. They just can't help wondering why other people wonder about something else. So in essence they're doing the same thing they seem to be so taken aback by. Ironic, isn't it? (Don't answer that it was just rhetorical.)

Old 01-03-2019, 12:03 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
Hardly anyone in our neighborhood uses their garage either. So crooks have learned to get into cars parked in the driveway or on the street, either unlocked or break into them, use the garage door opener to open the garage door, and then enter the house through the usually unlocked door from the garage into the house. But folks do not change their ways. They still park outside and leave their garage door openers in their cars. We always park in the garage; it also saves your cars from the neighborhood brats messing with them.
This sounds really odd. If people never park their car in the garage, why do they have the garage door opener in the car in the first place? Do they drive home, park in the driveway/street, open the garage door from the car and walk through the garage into the house (instead of through the actual house door)? Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House