Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 10:05 AM

21,887 posts, read 12,991,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Water pies are run at depths to get below the freeze line. In norther US this means about 4ft deep. In FL this mens about 12 inches deep.
Right? I live in a warmer climate. Looked like they dug down about 2', if that, to replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 01:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Call an exterminator for the wasps. Ask him about your concerns.

Find out whether you have moles or voles. Research how to get rid of them. Get neighbor’s cooperation.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:52 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the wasp spray lets you stand a good 20+ feet away while you soak the nest.
Done this myself. I am a single female alone or was and, I still do it. 77 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
As someone else said, wasp spray can be used from 20 feet away. Just buy a can of spray, spray the nest, and let it sit for a few days/week. If you're really worried, spray it a second time the next day. The wasps will be dead, and you can remove the nest without fear.

We've done it outside many times with no stinging problems.
Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If you are so timid that you cannot remove an old wasps nest, then you should not be a homeowner. Rent.
It sounds like you worry a lot about maintenance problems where you are living. I am in the same boat but, I still try to maintain. My problem is not enough resources to maintain things properly. A condo is not always the answer, re another post further back.

Good luck ! I don't know about voles or moles. I live in Florida. We have armadillos and raccoons.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:42 PM

Oh, I've had raccoons, too...

Old 01-20-2021, 05:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Mine is probably the only yard in the world that has none of the above, LOL, and I do think they're voles because I found a little dead one once, and the holes are much smaller than those created by the larger moles.

I could swear I had wasps in the same location two summers in a row, so are we sure they don't return to the same nest? If that's true, I'll just leave the glassed-in display intact as a "science project" for the next homeowner...
Interesting to read some of the "solutions" to the moles and voles. My neighborhood has had a bad case of moles and voles for the past 2-3 years. Voles are smaller and only tunnel under the grass. Moles are larger and have large claws for digging tunnels. My neighbors and I have spent lots of money on all the solutions that have been mentioned. The electronic devices don't work. Different types of fertilizer or adding lime to the yard doesn't make a difference. Eliminating grubs might help but doesn't solve the problem. The mole traps can work if you set them correctly, but it requires digging a hole on an active tunnel. My neighbor across the street caught one but decided it wasn't worth digging holes in his lawn. I caught one with my trap, but have been unable to catch another one. Another neighbor caught some voles with mouse traps. They don't work for moles. I wish I had a solution to moles/voles but nothing seems to work. I hope someone has had better luck than my neighbors and me, and I would be interested in their solution.

In regard to wasps, I have never seen wasps return to the same nest.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Chickens really do kill moles and voles (and wasps). Plus they give you eggs, garden fertilizer, entertainment and love

Old 01-20-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Chickens really do kill moles and voles (and wasps). Plus they give you eggs, garden fertilizer, entertainment and love
Not allowed in my neighborhood, unfortunately; nor goats (I also hate mowing the lawn).

Old 01-20-2021, 06:15 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
I can take care of the voles nole.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,207,139 times
I had wasps active all winter in Michigan. They were in the wall (of a condo). No I wouldn't mess with that nest. You never know.

A condo might be a better idea from the sound of it.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I had wasps active all winter in Michigan. They were in the wall (of a condo). No I wouldn't mess with that nest. You never know.

A condo might be a better idea from the sound of it.
Did the condo association take care of yours?

SOLD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House