Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 08:03 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times

Advertisements

I might if it came in pink with rose gold fixtures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 08:06 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,067,436 times
I dont use a bathtub so we had ours taken out and a large shower replaced it, we took the small shower area and added cabinets. Not sure of the cost because our house was completely redone after fire. So we paid the difference to have a large walk in shower with glass doors wide enough a wheel chair could easily roll in. One end of the shower has a seat and a handheld shower nozzle.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:43 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Difficult to say for if I had trouble with mobility, I know a cheap approach to the bath isn't going to cut it.

As it is, my shower is built for the possibility of should I ever find myself in a wheelchair. I am not, thankfully, but if I should ever, the house is built to be able to handle that or to be modified without too much of a problem.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:35 PM

486 posts, read 653,972 times
I bought a house last year with one of those tubs. The receipt for it was left in the house and the homeowners paid about $16,000 for it in 2016. It was generally falling apart and the faucets no longer worked and would have had to have been replaced, if parts could be found.

I had it taken out and replaced it with a tub that is 21 inches to the overflow. I can't get in and out without assistance except with the aid of this device so I can take long hot baths.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical.../dp/B00ABOHTK4

Yes, it's expensive, but a whole lot cheaper than replacing that piece of junk would have been. The tub I put in was $650 at Home Depot.

The amazing thing was the tub was 32 inches wide. The door on the bathroom was 28 inches wide. I have yet to figure out how they initially got it in there unless they ripped out the wall of the bedroom next door because the tub doesn't come in pieces. We ended up widening the door, both to get it out of there and because a 28 inch wide door is ridiculous.

Oh, BTW, resale value is nil. I ended up giving it away just to get rid of it.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:23 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Those things are really difficult to open and seal shut. The door closing bar I mean, it takes strength to maneuver. With arthritis I don't see how any senior could operate it without help. I sure couldn't

If I had $17,000 earmarked for a bathroom renovation I wouldn't spend it on that.

The real question is, why it bothers you so much that your friend did. Perhaps this belongs in the non-romantic forum instead.

Old 10-04-2022, 07:23 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Among the many things that we disagree on, my stepmother loves baths. Within 3 months of my father passing away, she had ripped out the carpet and replaced it wood floors and installed a walk-in bath/shower setup. I've no idea what all that cost, nor do I care. It's HER home (and my father should have let her do what she wanted to it long before he died).

Old 10-04-2022, 08:52 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
I love baths, calms me down for sleep, but if the water cannot be hot (as revealed in earlier post about step-in bath) what is the point of a bath? This is the first place someone said that it takes a loooong time for the water to fill the step-in bath and bather and water gets cold waiting for fill-up. Yikes, would be a total waste of money for me.

So I will have to stay in good enough shape to continue getting into and outta my deep bathtub without help.

I love baths so much that 15 years ago (and 2 homes ago) I replaced an annoying small bathtub with a Jacuzzi-style, to help aching muscles from playing tennis 7 times a week. Did a LOT of research and chose a water circulation type that was more hygienic, meaning water did not remain in tubes and grow who knows what germs between uses. Nope, my choice was not a good choice. Due to design the circulating water lost it's heat and I hate lukewarm baths. Was not sorry to leave that bathtub when we sold and moved.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
I would. But I think 17k is not that much. And if I had mobility issues, yes.

I just took a super walker over to a friend's yesterday that can't get up and down from the toilet well..
and the walls are SO far away to put handrails in. Gee.
She rents, btw. Her arm strength is ok ..Boy did it help her!!! YAY!
Pain and being handicapped changes every equation.
Just sayin, I'm familiar with handicapped people and the aging baby boomers..esp that have SO
much $$ sitting in the bank. So I would think nothing of it.
(And, funny, I actually did send a website like here -to a friend, 71, that inherited 3.3 million...and going down hill--
she paid off my $100k mortgage left. Ha!)

Btw, JD59 --I did not get that it 'bothered' you.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:31 PM

7,789 posts, read 3,803,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Their problem was buying in the peak of the high prices/low availability.
Timing, some people say, is everything.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:03 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
First- it’s a tub, not a “shower”.

Secondly- A $17k price tag is kinda immaterial without knowing “where” that $17k was spent. For example, in NYC I see that as being “feasible”; not so much so in Bogota, TX.

And finally- does it really concern you that “your friends” spent that much money on a “tub”- or is it “something deeper”…?
Besides the tub, there was a shower in the link. as well as a hybrid tub and shower. Most of you seem to have just looked at the ad at the top of the page.

https://www.safesteptub.com/products...105.2016931721

https://www.safesteptub.com/products...105.2016931721
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House