Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 09:51 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times

Advertisements

No, I wouldn't pay one cent for that walk-in tub/shower.

I love my present walk-in shower! Best ever for an elderly person like me. It is 44"x44", which is nice and big but also small enough that I can reach the (extremely sturdy) grab bar on the far side as well as the one by the entry door at the same time, for balance. Non-slippery floor. It has a shower device with a 7' hose which will easily reach my shower stool, so I can shower while seated if need be. It only has a 2" sill to get over, in order to enter the shower. 0" would be better but still this worked out well for me after my knee surgery.

I bought this house 7 years ago, and I love it. The shower is my favorite thing about it. Personally I prefer showers and have no desire for a tub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 04:18 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I wouldn't buy one of those for any price, but I would be happy to pay $17,000 to get the shower that I want.

Old 10-08-2022, 09:31 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Jeez, I clicked on your stupid link to see what everyone was talking about and now I am getting dozens of ads for walk-in handicapped bathtubs.

And that is why many of us will not click on mystery links. That and you open your computer up to invaders.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
No, I wouldn't. Nor would I pay $17.00 for one. Every single person I know who has purchased a house with one of those here in my 55+ community has taken them out.

One of the issues, which is my main objection, is what to do while it fills up and while it drains? As far as I know, unless you have super powers, you'd have to sit there in your birthday suit while the thing fills up and drains. I guess you could wrap yourself in a towel or robe and keep pulling it up until the water level rises enough to be comfortable but what a nuisance.

Definitely not for me.
Good point

Old 10-08-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The door swings IN!
A full tub, with all that pressure against it- yeah! I highly doubt it!
If the water level was to the point of where it could be opened- you might flood the floor with a few gallons of water, but that would be it.
If the door swings in, where do you put your legs when opening or closing the door? Do you have to sit down and lift your legs up out of the way to swing the door open?

Old 10-08-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It’s not the tub itself!
It’s taking out the existing; re-plumbing (permit), install new, and finish work. all of which probably costs more than the tub itself!

Welcome to the real world costs!
Seven years ago I paid $7000 to have a one piece fiberglass tub and surround removed and replaced with a basic walk in shower with subway tiles. So $17,000 sounds a little high but probably not out of line in some areas of the country.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Had one installed in the assisted living facility I used to work at. It wasn't $17,000 though. (More like $330,000.)

Our first patron, Mrs. O'Keiff tried it out. She can still move pretty good for having 4 strokes (so far.)

Anyway, she gets in and sits down. The water begins to fill the basin. 10 minutes later and she's getting cold because the water is only up to her knees. We wrap a small towel around here shoulders to keep from a chill. Waiting for the water level to come up to waist height took 25 minutes. By then, she was ready to get out. And, she was cold and miserable.

So, after spending a third of a million dollars, the walk-in tub got used exactly once. Nobody will ever use it again, because the water volume takes too long, and you HAVE to be in, when the water takes it's sweet time filling up.

If you want one in your house, be sure you have a BIG water heater, and a 1.5" fill. Figure about 85GPM should be about right. It'll only take a couple minutes to fill, then.
Sounds like someone forgot to take the water saver thingy out of the faucet.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Well, yeah. It'll cost ya no matter who installs it, etc.

I just had a small-ish bathroom remodeled with enlargement of the shower - nothing too fancy except the Corian shower pan - $18,000 - 5 grand just for the Corian pan (I want a shower floor I can clean like a counter top).

But, heck, its my money, I earned it, and I'd rather I use it on me than let some hapless relative I've never met or talked to in 40 years get it when I go 6' under. I consider my (way overpriced but good, meticulous) contractors as my heirs - taking my money for useful purposes while I'm alive and I can benefit from it.
Next time, look at the white fiberglass shower pans. Much cheaper and also easy to clean.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:08 PM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
No, I wouldn't. Nor would I pay $17.00 for one. Every single person I know who has purchased a house with one of those here in my 55+ community has taken them out.

One of the issues, which is my main objection, is what to do while it fills up and while it drains? As far as I know, unless you have super powers, you'd have to sit there in your birthday suit while the thing fills up and drains. I guess you could wrap yourself in a towel or robe and keep pulling it up until the water level rises enough to be comfortable but what a nuisance.

Definitely not for me.
LOL….I never considered the issue of what to do while filling up the tub. It does seem kind of awkward.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
LOL….I never considered the issue of what to do while filling up the tub. It does seem kind of awkward.
I think I have seen ads that some of them have heated seats. That might help. I guess one could read a book while the tub is filling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House