Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 07:36 AM

1,066 posts, read 766,970 times

Advertisements

My mom had one of those things, she loved it. Didn't pay anywhere near that for it though, but that was years ago. When I stayed with her to help with her care in the end, I used it because the shower in her other bathroom didn't drain properly. It did have a handheld showerhead on a bar above so I could still use it that way.

For those that fret about where to sit while waiting for the warm water to come, you simply run the water until it gets to temp. then plug the bottom and let it fill. As far as draining wasn't really any different than a regular tub, just stand up and dry from the top down.

I wouldn't buy one but to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 08:49 AM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
I don't consider that expensive, but I wouldn't have one for free, either.

Old 10-09-2022, 03:35 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
No, I wouldn't. Nor would I pay $17.00 for one. Every single person I know who has purchased a house with one of those here in my 55+ community has taken them out.

One of the issues, which is my main objection, is what to do while it fills up and while it drains? As far as I know, unless you have super powers, you'd have to sit there in your birthday suit while the thing fills up and drains. I guess you could wrap yourself in a towel or robe and keep pulling it up until the water level rises enough to be comfortable but what a nuisance.

Definitely not for me.
It would be a water bill killer. I take navy showers so no way i would pay 17k for any shower flowers. I would use the back yard and a hose first.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:53 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Then you have to add the plumbing and labor to remove the old tub/shower and install the new one. The labor is the majority of the cost. Not the actual tub/shower. I wouldn't use the installers from Lowe's most are handymen and don't know what they're doing. Been there. Done that when my partner wanted to save a few bucks. Cost us a small fortune more to save a few bucks.
Oh, for heaven sakes, whatever you do, don't use the installers from Lowes.

Just did this on the installation of a storm door with a dog door at the bottom. Took forever to get the work lined up. Lots of blaming the system, communication issues, etc.

And this was at the Lowes in nearby town with a reputation for being far better managed than the local Lowes which is total joke. More on that later.

Although, to be fair, when he and his son actually showed up, after several months of back and forth, they did a decent job.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Jeez, I clicked on your stupid link to see what everyone was talking about and now I am getting dozens of ads for walk-in handicapped bathtubs.

And that is why many of us will not click on mystery links. That and you open your computer up to invaders.
Oh, dear. I just clicked.

Damn.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:45 AM

Ten years ago, we installed a walk-in tub, which is what this thread is about. Not sure why the title doesn't mention it.

Had to also install an on-demand, gas hot water system as our hot water tank couldn't handle it.

Took forever to fill and empty. Lot of water in the foot well. Even with a warm towel over your shoulders, there's a lot of sitting in chilly air involved. Ended up using it mainly as a shower. Worked great to help my mother shower as I could stay outside and still reach in. We had had a taller one that, when full would cover your shoulders. No water jeets/

When we went to sell, the designer that helped us get our home ready to sale kept referring to that as our "wonky bathroom," and about ways to distract from it.

Turns out we sold to a woman whose mother was living with her and this was one of the attractive features of the house.

Go figure.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:35 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
One think to consider instead is a walk-in shower with various spray heads as in one high and one low and a moveable bench. I has this conversion done. Garden tub removed, walk-in shower installed for about $5K.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:13 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
No

Old 11-15-2022, 01:01 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
No. But I guess if you needed something like that then it would be worth the 17K that you paid for it.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:42 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I hadn't even thought of that! What a good point - I'll remember that the next time someone around here talks about getting one.

Another thing I hadn't thought of till now . . . what if the person in the tub had a medical emergency and needed to get out quickly or needed to be rescued by the paramedics? My imagination is starting to run away with me now. At least in a regular tub someone could crawl out or be lifted out but trying to extricate someone out of one of those walk-in tubs would be a whole different problem. Might require a Hoyer lift or something like that.
I don't understand...I've seen tubs that drain in 90 seconds...are you saying getting them out AFTER it's drained would require a hoist? It'd be the same as rescuing someone collapsed in a regular shower, I'd think. I really don't think it's a deathtrap situation.

So they're making them to drain faster and also to fill faster...like under 5 minutes to fill and with warmed seats to be more comfortable while you wait. They may not be perfect but if you just can't live without taking a bath then yeah, it's not a bad compromise. And with hand held or adjustable shower attachments to easily wash your hair or rinse out the tub afterwards. I'm thinking about the future and replacing my "used a half dozen times in 20 years" garden tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House