Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 12:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

I have one of those rolling ac units with the window kit. It works fine for the room its in, but the problem is the drainage. It has a cup the water goes and once its full the ac shuts off until its emptied.

The problem is it is VERY humid here. Every fifteen minutes requires a drain. According to the manufacturer, you can run it with the drain open in humid weather. Which is what I was doing. But...

The drain is about an inch from the floor. Everything I've tried leakes out before it can be emptied. I put a hose on it and that helps, but being so low to the ground it needs the right gravity to drain, and any container that holds enough to matter won't work.

Since its really not practical to roll it around, the place I keep it is where its staying. I'm thinking of a drain hole at floor level to the outside. The water is starting to damage the floor. Is this practical? The wall is over a foot thick. I'm concerned about leakage from outside in during rain. Can't afford a window unit (if one would fit, since its a very small window) and don't want it there year round anyway. But the house is unliveable without some cooling.

Any suggestions on how to pipe the hose up to the window itself for drippage as that is very doeable but the water pressure never is high enough to push it that far.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 02:11 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I put a hose on it and that helps, but being so low to the ground it needs the right gravity to drain
One option might be to elevate the unit slightly, perhaps using flowerpots as risers, to accommodate a wall feedthrough where the bushings could be plugged in the cooler months.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:17 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Bilge pump (cheap wal-mart sporting section), 12 volt adapter, hose. Add a float valve for automatic operation.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
One option might be to elevate the unit slightly, perhaps using flowerpots as risers, to accommodate a wall feedthrough where the bushings could be plugged in the cooler months.
It would be possible to run it through the wall a bit above the floorboard and still have it drain, so thanks much. The unit itself is too heavy to put on anything but a very sturdy lift.

I'm assuming that the areas where the cable/line runs through can be water sealed with the bushings when not in use.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Bilge pump (cheap wal-mart sporting section), 12 volt adapter, hose. Add a float valve for automatic operation.
You can buy bigle pumpos with built in swtches at marine stores. Or you can get a fountain pump made to run.with a munaul bidge pump switch and skip the converter. They also are made to run alot more than bilge pumps and I thnik would holdup better.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:18 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can buy bigle pumpos with built in swtches at marine stores. Or you can get a fountain pump made to run.with a munaul bidge pump switch and skip the converter. They also are made to run alot more than bilge pumps and I thnik would holdup better.
Yeah, probably a better solution for only a few bucks more. I was brainstorming. Haven't been in a marine store in over 30 years.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
The portable unit I have runs the drain through the condenser fan tube, the thing that connects to the window. It's elevated temperatures evaporates the moisture and pushes it out of the house. The best portables have two tubes for the condenser coil. One intake and one exhaust so they do not exhaust conditioned air outside of the conditioned space. When you have a fan that pulls air from the home and pushes it to the outside it can leave the home in a slightly negative pressure as opposed to outside pressures. That difference allows air to be pulled through the leaks in your home at a greater rate than not having the A/C unit. Excessive wind speeds exasperates the problem.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The portable unit I have runs the drain through the condenser fan tube, the thing that connects to the window. It's elevated temperatures evaporates the moisture and pushes it out of the house. The best portables have two tubes for the condenser coil. One intake and one exhaust so they do not exhaust conditioned air outside of the conditioned space. When you have a fan that pulls air from the home and pushes it to the outside it can leave the home in a slightly negative pressure as opposed to outside pressures. That difference allows air to be pulled through the leaks in your home at a greater rate than not having the A/C unit. Excessive wind speeds exasperates the problem.
This one has both. The problem with the drip is it has a drain for excess moisture which can't be handled by the exhaust. Unfortunately it fills quickly and shuts down the cooling when its full. Its so low to the ground that draining it ends up getting the floor all wet. I have a flexable plastic tube on it but it still has to drain out to continuously drain as they suggest. Floor has already been damaged and needs some sanding.

A hole through the wall as one poster suggested is what I plan. Haven't found anyone who can do it yet but that should solve that problem.

Cool air from the portable doesn't reach past the room unless I blow it there and use a window fan blowing air out. Basically it doesn't cool more than the one room but thats okay. Just want it to be able to run without floods in that one.

Since the heat wave ended in a spectacular storm last couple days ago, I'm running it just on fan and it works rather well to bring in outside air. When it won't drip everywhere I can set it on "auto" and it cycles between cool dehydrate and fan to maintain a temperature which is my goal. Except for the drain problem, it works pretty well.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:50 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
You can buy a condensate pump that is made for a/c units. You can run the drain anywhere you want it to go.
I set up my de-humidifier on a cart, with the pump below it. I just ran the plastic drain tube out and it runs 24/7 and I don;t have to worry about the pan filling up.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:28 AM

8 posts, read 8,092 times
I have a similar problem. Floor air conditioner sits on livingroom carpet. The drain valve is so low to the floor there's no way to put a container under it and water gushes out on the carpet when you open the drain. I attached a rubber tube to the drain and ran it out the french doors but the water just stays in the tube. Considered a condensate pump but it looks like the AC needs to be slightly above the input valve of the pump and this isn't really an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House