Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:20 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd32 View Post
First off it is very rare that a central vacuum gets plugged, the hose is 30' at 1 1/4" and the pipe is 2". If it travels 30' at that diameter it will go through a 2" diameter. Second if it clogs there are many different ways to go about it, none involve ripping open walls.
That makes perfect sense. A plumber usually doesn't have to rip out walls for a blocked pipe. I'd assume you can unplug a central vacuum with plumber's snake or similar device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 02:02 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
we bought a 5 yr old home with the central vac LOVE IT....

Old 11-17-2007, 05:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,338 times
One of my biggest regrets is not having one put in when I built the house. They are supposed to keep dust down tremendously.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:17 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
I will tell you, If I was building I probably would have missed it as well..lol as we have built homes before and never had central Vac but now having it, I couldnt imagine buying a vaccum cleaner again

Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
C/V is one of the most chosen upgrades for new construction. And yes, it can be retro'd in existing houses. Installers have a few tricks up their sleeves in order to install. The major drawback to retro's- less hookup sites. Which means a longer hose to battle.

Most of my H/O would go for the 20/25' hose, and have one on each floor. The toe-kick for the kitchen is a must have. And if the unit is in the basement- make sure there is a hookup in the garage.

One point I'd like to make- there are a few manufacturers on the market- the best system I have seen is the one with an intergal power source for the power head. Most systems use a powerhead that you plug into a regular receipticle with its own power cord. The system I'm referring to has the "power cord" integrated into the hose for the powerhead. Makes for less tangle and ease of use. Yes it costs more than the others but, in the long run...

Old 11-19-2007, 04:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I just posted on another thread about this a few days ago. Yes the central vac is awesome! We just built a house with it, and I am so glad we got it. We also have a vac pan in the kitchen which you can sweep crumbs into and it sucks it up into the central vac (no more bending to sweep into a dustpan). Our unit is in our garage & it has an outlet on the unit itself, which we didn't know would be there. This is great because we can now buy extra attachments for a car vac, and use it there! The best part of the central vac is using it on wood floors. You don't need the motor of the vacuum for this, and it so quick and easy.

Wow! If I was going to post about our central vac this would be my post! Saved me some typing.

We have an outlet in the central hall on both floors and a loooong hose. Plug in once and do the entire floor. Very nice. Very light.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:54 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeckoff1 View Post
We had something clogging our system and the repairman fixed it with out any problem

Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
That makes perfect sense. A plumber usually doesn't have to rip out walls for a blocked pipe. I'd assume you can unplug a central vacuum with plumber's snake or similar device.

My parents had their house built in 87' with CV and accidently sucked up a sock along with kitty litter, it did a job on it.
It never worked after that...not sure if they're built better now 20 yrs later, it seems like it, eh?

Old 11-19-2007, 06:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
My parents had their house built in 87' with CV and accidently sucked up a sock along with kitty litter, it did a job on it.
It never worked after that...not sure if they're built better now 20 yrs later, it seems like it, eh?
If I sucked up a sock and some kitty litter I wouldn't work very well, either

Old 11-19-2007, 07:23 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If I sucked up a sock and some kitty litter I wouldn't work very well, either

Nevermind the plumber, try explaining that to the ER...

Old 11-20-2007, 12:06 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
We had one in our last house and didn't like it. Instead of carrying a vacuum around the house, you're hauling this big hose around. Somebody above mentioned they didn't want a central vac because they had nowhere to store the hose. I can relate to that! Plus, you still have all your accessories to tote around. Beater brush for carpet, different heads, etc. We lived in a two-story house, and lugging all that junk up and down the stairs was a supreme hassle. We found it far easier to simply carry around our Miele White Star cannister vac that stores all of its accessories inside.

I also disagree with the supposed advantages of the CV being better for hardwood because of no beater bar, and keeping the house cleaner than a portable vac. You don't use a beater bar on hardwood with a portable vac or central vac, so there's no difference there. The "cleaner" aspect doesn't jive either, because there are some exceptional vac with HEPA filters that have great suction and emit no measurable dust. Our little Miele is one.

Not trying to negate anybody elses positive experiences, but wanted to offer a little balance to the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House