Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Might be same one... The guy works for an oil company, a Geologist. She works for a computer company, maybe HP?
Nope not the same one. The one I'm talking about was a new one and was a single black lady looking to stay close to work and spent 260k on a house. And she was fixing to go off to Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
kreeyax, I think you're thinking about "My First Place." That 's the show where they give the person / couple a room full of furniture when they move in.

testmo, I am not sure what show you're referring to. If you are searching for a new home then what exactly do you see is the obligation of HGTV to somehow compensate you for something you'd be doing on your own anyway?
Yeah I think you're right, I always get all those HGTV shows mixed up.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
But isn't that the show where they give the couple a gift at the end? Sometimes they get some pretty decent stuff, like having a room decorated.
That is My First Place. Not sure why $500 is a bad deal for House Hunters?? Some people just move in and decorate with what they already own so in that case you get $500 and on national tv.

Edited...should have read all posts first. Though I will say sometimes I wonder if HGtv really is giving the people anything at all. Sometimes there is a HUGE difference between what one person gets and then another. Like one will get all new appliances and another will just get saw a coffee maker or something.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:29 PM

239 posts, read 639,133 times
I think it has to do with whether or not producers stepped in to make the loan work for them, so the actual purchase could proceed. If they did, there's less money for gifts. If not, more more for gifts.

But then sometimes too, I think it has a lot to do with how much they liked the buyers. Most of the really arrogant or demanding buyers seem to get very little, whereas most of the easy-going, grateful-hearted buyers seem to get a lot more.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:53 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
I wonder where those 25 or 30 year old flight attendants get the money to buy a $450,000 house.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaClue View Post
I think it has to do with whether or not producers stepped in to make the loan work for them, so the actual purchase could proceed. If they did, there's less money for gifts. If not, more more for gifts.

But then sometimes too, I think it has a lot to do with how much they liked the buyers. Most of the really arrogant or demanding buyers seem to get very little, whereas most of the easy-going, grateful-hearted buyers seem to get a lot more.

Guess you never seen the thread in the TV section? The show is stagged and they already have a house lined up if not already closed on it. They then show them 2 other houses along with the home they already closed on. No worries about getting approved or offers not getting accepted or house inspections causing a buyer to walk away. This bothers some people but not me. It's a reality show on TV. It's for entertainment.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:28 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
kreeyax, I think you're thinking about "My First Place." That 's the show where they give the person / couple a room full of furniture when they move in.

testmo, I am not sure what show you're referring to. If you are searching for a new home then what exactly do you see is the obligation of HGTV to somehow compensate you for something you'd be doing on your own anyway?
i am pretty sure the money they earn per episode far exceeds 500 bucks. but then there are some people who for some reason want to be on tv i guess that is enough of a award for them

Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Guess you never seen the thread in the TV section? The show is stagged and they already have a house lined up if not already closed on it. They then show them 2 other houses along with the home they already closed on. No worries about getting approved or offers not getting accepted or house inspections causing a buyer to walk away. This bothers some people but not me. It's a reality show on TV. It's for entertainment.
Interesting.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
It pretty much has to be staged. In all the hundreds of HH episodes I've seen (yes we watch it all the time) I've only ever seen one guy walk away and not buy any of the houses and that was on HH Intl. What are the odds that they would always buy one of the 3 offered if they hadn't already pre-screened them.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:43 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
It pretty much has to be staged. In all the hundreds of HH episodes I've seen (yes we watch it all the time) I've only ever seen one guy walk away and not buy any of the houses and that was on HH Intl. What are the odds that they would always buy one of the 3 offered if they hadn't already pre-screened them.
I pretty much watch HGTV all day long (if the Disney channel or Nick Jr isn't on!). I've seen TONS of House Hunters, My First Place, Property Virgins, etc.

They don't just look at 3 houses. One time I watched and the couple was going to look at house #65. They just pick "3" to "choose from" for the show - probably the top 3 that most fits their criteria and budget. And I've also seen some where they have to walk away, they get turned down for financing, the buyer backs out, whatever. So, no, they can't have just closed on the home (unless their "rules" have changed in the last couple of months).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston