Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:15 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times

Advertisements

There could be a trap on every corner for all I care. I don't speed, so the thought of getting "trapped" never really crosses my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 12:12 AM

53 posts, read 208,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
just come off the accelerator and it will make their radars go crazy.
No it will not.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:31 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
There could be a trap on every corner for all I care. I don't speed, so the thought of getting "trapped" never really crosses my mind.
Hopefully you stay in the far right lane, because if not, going the speed limit (60MPH) when everyone is going 70 is a lot more dangerous than going 70 yourself. The Euros have us beat on how to properly ticket drivers. Speeding should not be one of the main concerns. Tailgaters, people going the speed limit in the far left lane, the none signalers that cause accidents because no one knew what they were doing, etc.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:31 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Hopefully you stay in the far right lane, because if not, going the speed limit (60MPH) when everyone is going 70 is a lot more dangerous than going 70 yourself. The Euros have us beat on how to properly ticket drivers. Speeding should not be one of the main concerns. Tailgaters, people going the speed limit in the far left lane, the none signalers that cause accidents because no one knew what they were doing, etc.
Everyone should keep right on the freeway, except to pass. I was almost clipped once by a guy who was cruising the left lane but waited until the very last second to attempt to make his exit. He was weaving in and out of 5 lanes just to get to the point where he should have been miles ago, and didn't even bother to signal any of his lane changes on top of that. And really, the more densely-trafficked the highway, the slower you should be going anyway.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
You must not have read the portion of my post where I said they target people coming off the ramps. The speed from the freeway will decrease dramatically on the ramp. It will go from 60 to 35. No one can reasonably slow down that quickly in a safe manner. By slowing down so quick, it endangers the safety of everyone on the road if there are more than one drivers exiting the ramp.

The catch 22 situation is exactly what law enforcement is trying to exploit by targeting the off ramps. Hence, "carjacker" is an accurate description of men with guns taking your money.
Both times - I was coming off the off ramps and both times they were those longer ramps where I went back and looked at posted speeds ad they dropped to 40 or 45 on those longer ramps and I never slowed to 40 to begin with, I exited at a freeway speed. So although I hated the ticket and the trap -- I didn't slow it down. I always do now even when others around me don't....live and learn for me.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Everyone should keep right on the freeway, except to pass. I was almost clipped once by a guy who was cruising the left lane but waited until the very last second to attempt to make his exit. He was weaving in and out of 5 lanes just to get to the point where he should have been miles ago, and didn't even bother to signal any of his lane changes on top of that. And really, the more densely-trafficked the highway, the slower you should be going anyway.
Only if it's a two lane freeway. You can cruise with traffic flow in the middle lanes, but don't go that much slower than traffic, or just stay in the right lane. And people like the guy who clipped you is exactly what I'm talking about.. As far as densely-trafficked, I've seen dense traffic still move at an easy 70 MPH. You just have to be aware and alert and if your exit is coming up, start making your moves. Driving is simple.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
I was taught that if you are too close to safely get your exit, just drive on to the next one, and go back. Now, they come all the way across cutting everyone off (and sometimes causing accidents) in the process. Or they come on over almost clipping your car and put the blinker on AFTER they are halfway in your lane. Or worse yet, come to a complete stop with the blinker on to change lanes.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I was taught that if you are too close to safely get your exit, just drive on to the next one, and go back. Now, they come all the way across cutting everyone off (and sometimes causing accidents) in the process. Or they come on over almost clipping your car and put the blinker on AFTER they are halfway in your lane. Or worse yet, come to a complete stop with the blinker on to change lanes.
Yeah, I don't know why people can't do that. I've done it before, but didn't get close to clipping anyone's car. Also doesn't help that there are a-holes who don't want to let you into the exit lane, or let you out when you are trying to enter. America needs to revamp it's driving school programs, or just let me teach it.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Yeah, I don't know why people can't do that. I've done it before, but didn't get close to clipping anyone's car. Also doesn't help that there are a-holes who don't want to let you into the exit lane, or let you out when you are trying to enter. America needs to revamp it's driving school programs, or just let me teach it.
Did you get that scar on your face as the result of a traffic accident?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Did you get that scar on your face as the result of a traffic accident?
Never been in an accident. Cutting across the freeway doesn't mean I cut anyone off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston