Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Funny background to West U - it was definately treeless when being developed in the early 1900's. Teas Nursery brought in the Chinaberry tree to fill the gap - without realizing the short life-span and shallow root system of the tree (not to mention the trash from it). Now it is beautiful - only took 40+ years.
Not to mention the negative environmental impact of the chinaberry.

Seems like I read somewhere that West U and Bellaire incorporated originally because they were too far out for the city of Houston to run all the utility services to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Not to mention the negative environmental impact of the chinaberry.

Seems like I read somewhere that West U and Bellaire incorporated originally because they were too far out for the city of Houston to run all the utility services to them.
LOL - yes. And don't forget that the original Rainbow Lodge (inside the loop off Detering) was originally a hunting lodge for Houston businessmen to "get away from it all".

Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 PM

29 posts, read 70,693 times
I grew up in Kingwood, hated it with a passion, but then again, I hate any and all suburbs. If suburbs are your thing, than Kingwood is about as white, rich, and boring as they come. If you want white, rich, and have more stuff to do, go to The Woodlands. Theres lots of cool new urbanist development going on there. But if I were you, Id never ever ever in a million years move to a suburb. Move to the city, its not dangerous anymore and downtown Houston is actually quite nice. Why anyone would want to live in a suburb is beyond me, but I guess tons of people like it, so whatever. But as far as amenities go, Im sure its already been answered, the Woodlands has many more things to do and many more shops and what not. I would not raise my kid in Kingwood or the Woodlands High School, if you are planning on staying there that long. Sure, you get a good education at them, but people think inner city schools have a drug problem. Yeah, no, Kingwood has a drug problem. Ive lived in downtown Chicago, Little Rock, Beijing, and now a small town in Arkansas, but Ive never seen so many drugs as I did in Kingwood. Well, anyways, now that Im done ranting, Id choose The Woodlands over Kinghood any day of the week. But dont chose either, move near downtown, plenty of amazing neighborhoods and plenty of awesome transit where you dont have to depend upon a car to get around and waste an hour a day sitting in traffic and never getting to know your neighbors.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 PM

6 posts, read 12,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I grew up in Kingwood, hated it with a passion, but then again, I hate any and all suburbs. If suburbs are your thing, than Kingwood is about as white, rich, and boring as they come. If you want white, rich, and have more stuff to do, go to The Woodlands. Theres lots of cool new urbanist development going on there. But if I were you, Id never ever ever in a million years move to a suburb. Move to the city, its not dangerous anymore and downtown Houston is actually quite nice. Why anyone would want to live in a suburb is beyond me, but I guess tons of people like it, so whatever. But as far as amenities go, Im sure its already been answered, the Woodlands has many more things to do and many more shops and what not. I would not raise my kid in Kingwood or the Woodlands High School, if you are planning on staying there that long. Sure, you get a good education at them, but people think inner city schools have a drug problem. Yeah, no, Kingwood has a drug problem. Ive lived in downtown Chicago, Little Rock, Beijing, and now a small town in Arkansas, but Ive never seen so many drugs as I did in Kingwood. Well, anyways, now that Im done ranting, Id choose The Woodlands over Kinghood any day of the week. But dont chose either, move near downtown, plenty of amazing neighborhoods and plenty of awesome transit where you dont have to depend upon a car to get around and waste an hour a day sitting in traffic and never getting to know your neighbors.
I agree that suburbia can be depressing but I think you can't deny there is more crime downtown or even near River Oaks and West U as compared to suburbs like The Woodlands...I mean it's not horrible but somewhere like the Woodlands would have less crime right? I think you can also get more for your money in the burbs as opposed to living intown...esp if you have kids and you want a decent sized house with a yard. Also when it comes to schools if you don't want to pay for private school it seems like the public schools in somewhere like the Woodlands are all good whereas intown some are good and some aren't and unless you have a lot of money to shell out for a house zoned to one of the better schools you would have to pay for private school.

The Woodlands is sooo far out there though. I would only live there if my job was there and in my case my husband got a job there so i'm forced to move there. If I had the choice I would live intown in West U or Bellaire (or River Oaks if I could afford it) but I can still see why someone would choose suburbia esp if they have children and aren't super rich.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 PM

46 posts, read 43,336 times
Kingwood has a Zone De Erotica at its freeway exit into this so-called family friendly city...

I guess all the churchies have to get their sex toys somewhere.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 AM

93 posts, read 312,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blawp View Post
Kingwood has a Zone De Erotica at its freeway exit into this so-called family friendly city...

I guess all the churchies have to get their sex toys somewhere.

As much as you hate Houston, you sure do hang around on this board to badmouth it! I guess everything is so perfect in California these days.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:20 PM

29 posts, read 70,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecision2011 View Post
I agree that suburbia can be depressing but I think you can't deny there is more crime downtown or even near River Oaks and West U as compared to suburbs like The Woodlands...I mean it's not horrible but somewhere like the Woodlands would have less crime right? I think you can also get more for your money in the burbs as opposed to living intown...esp if you have kids and you want a decent sized house with a yard. Also when it comes to schools if you don't want to pay for private school it seems like the public schools in somewhere like the Woodlands are all good whereas intown some are good and some aren't and unless you have a lot of money to shell out for a house zoned to one of the better schools you would have to pay for private school.

The Woodlands is sooo far out there though. I would only live there if my job was there and in my case my husband got a job there so i'm forced to move there. If I had the choice I would live intown in West U or Bellaire (or River Oaks if I could afford it) but I can still see why someone would choose suburbia esp if they have children and aren't super rich.
Why do people feel the need to have a gigantic boring looking house built around a car garage with a yard they will never use and then just have to hire people to mow it? It shouldnt be about the size of your house, it should be about the community you live in. The suburbs are boring and growing up in them is extremely boring. I lived in Kingwood for 10 years, never knew any of my neighbors at all. I then lived in downtown Little Rock for a couple years and got to know my neighborhood and the people that lived in it very well, while being able to walk to a corner grocery store and coffee shop. The bad school excuse for not living in cities is a tired one. There are plenty of good public schools near downtown Houston. Sure, houses may be more expensive there but you can still live fine. Our house in Kinghood was about 5,000 square feet, all that space just gets filled up with crap you dont need. Why not live in a smaller house or a condo near downtown where theres a lot more to do and see, while also being able to interact with people and not have to drive a car 30 minutes just to get some groceries?

Crime in some parts of downtown is very bad, but others, its perfectly safe. You just have to know where to go and not to. Although, I regularly go downtown and photograph the ghetto areas and dont feel unsafe. Even walking around downtown in the middle of the night, I never feel threatened. In Kingwood while I lived there, a house a few blocks away got robbed. The people were home and the kid shot and killed both a daughter and her mother while trying to steal the car. The suburbs are just as unsafe as many inner city neighborhoods imo.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:24 PM

93 posts, read 312,387 times
Quote:
Why do people feel the need to have a gigantic boring looking house built around a car garage with a yard they will never use and then just have to hire people to mow it? It shouldnt be about the size of your house, it should be about the community you live in. The suburbs are boring and growing up in them is extremely boring. I lived in Kingwood for 10 years, never knew any of my neighbors at all. I then lived in downtown Little Rock for a couple years and got to know my neighborhood and the people that lived in it very well, while being able to walk to a corner grocery store and coffee shop. The bad school excuse for not living in cities is a tired one. There are plenty of good public schools near downtown Houston. Sure, houses may be more expensive there but you can still live fine. Our house in Kinghood was about 5,000 square feet, all that space just gets filled up with crap you dont need. Why not live in a smaller house or a condo near downtown where theres a lot more to do and see, while also being able to interact with people and not have to drive a car 30 minutes just to get some groceries?

Crime in some parts of downtown is very bad, but others, its perfectly safe. You just have to know where to go and not to. Although, I regularly go downtown and photograph the ghetto areas and dont feel unsafe. Even walking around downtown in the middle of the night, I never feel threatened. In Kingwood while I lived there, a house a few blocks away got robbed. The people were home and the kid shot and killed both a daughter and her mother while trying to steal the car. The suburbs are just as unsafe as many inner city neighborhoods imo.
This is why we have trailer parks, small houses, large houses, urban living, suburban living, big yards, small yards, etc, etc, etc! People like different things. Just because you do not like living in an area does not make it bad.

Also, if you did not know your neighbors, that is on you! You should have gotten out of that 5000 sf house and made some friends. Apparently your mom and dad bought you a lot of toys to keep you occupied in that large house.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:18 AM

6 posts, read 12,753 times
Quote:

You don't have children do you?

Old 03-12-2011, 04:10 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,021 times
Quote:
wow...well, it appears that YOUR experience growing up in Kingwood, aka, the liveable forest was not a good one. You mentioned you didnt know your neighbors, but you lived there for 10 years? Im sure you were probably a teenager at that particular time in life, so maybe something was going on in your household that has lead to your beliefs that you hate all things suburbia..

living downtown in practically any city in the United States is for young singles, 20&30 somethings, young couples or empty nesters.....its awfully hard to have a good family foundation living in a 1000 sq foot loft with your spouse and multiple children while your neighbors are all young and/or single.

Unless you live in cities with a developed subway system, you need a car to get around....you can probably do without a car in new york, boston or chicago, but you need one in Houston, even if you live downtown or somewhere close, unless you love the idea of riding metro buses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston