Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:02 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times

Advertisements

For something to be overrated, is has to be rated HIGHLY but then be DISAPPOINTING in reality.

Houston suburbs are not rated highly by most people who post in this Forum. In fact, they get bashed daily. So how are they overrated??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
For something to be overrated, is has to be rated HIGHLY but then be DISAPPOINTING in reality.

Houston suburbs are not rated highly by most people who post in this Forum. In fact, they get bashed daily. So how are they overrated??
I can agree. Some people may take into account that there is little to none nightlife in any suburb. Also, some suburbs are far out and are congested. I see what people are coming, but I think they can really bash suburbs.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 AM

150 posts, read 306,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I can agree. Some people may take into account that there is little to none nightlife in any suburb. Also, some suburbs are far out and are congested. I see what people are coming, but I think they can really bash suburbs.
I think people make too much a big deal about which is a better place to live. I don't know what is the psychology behind it. This state is a far cry from New York City although Houston is number 4 in terms of the largest city in the U.S. Not trying to knock any state, but if it was my choice, I would not choose to live here. I don't plan to live here for the rest of my life.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne7 View Post
I think people make too much a big deal about which is a better place to live. I don't know what is the psychology behind it.

It's called being 24 years old and on the internet.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne7 View Post
I think people make too much a big deal about which is a better place to live. I don't know what is the psychology behind it. This state is a far cry from New York City although Houston is number 4 in terms of the largest city in the U.S. Not trying to knock any state, but if it was my choice, I would not choose to live here. I don't plan to live here for the rest of my life.
Why is it not working out for you?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Then again, you must live in the suburbs.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:21 PM

81 posts, read 128,329 times
I'll pitch my .02 in,

spring is an abject toilet. the only thing it can do is put all its peanuts in marketing cuz its not about to get right by any decent human being's book. i'm sure the white knights are gonna try and land on me for speaking out. but i'm ready ... the water quality, the schools ... c'mon, take your best shot.

atascosita is a mosquito infested dump as well, but it was never rated high, so i cant say its "over-rated".

pasadena isnt over-rated either because its pretty much rated at 0.

pearland can go straight to hell along with spring, for all the same reasons.

the woodlands aint nuthin but the company store! waaaaay over-rated.

i like the facade of conroe, but i've heard that i shouldnt believe the hype. makes sense to me, but i'm not going to denigrate it unless i have first hand experience, which i dont.

i wont be too harsh on parts of north tomball, or montgomery county, cuz you have country living out there if you want it. its getting too corporitized for my liking, and i dont care for the fact that there's literally 2 churches every 1000 ft. (one on the inbound side of the road, one on the outbound!) ... but i digress ...

dickinson, webster, bacliff, san leon, hitchcock, lamarque, texas city, are all pretty much dumps. well, lets face it, most of galveston county is an absolute dump except for league city, kemah, and bayou vista.

clear lake and friendswood arent really bad per se, just boring. cram packed, forced-in-hand, suburbia, sardine-can, cost-based living.

of course galveston island is not without its charms. most of the island is a scary, scary ghetto, but for all its faults, at the end of the day, i give it a thumbs up! but i'll never live there, or own property there, because ... well, you know what they say about the whole island ... its true; so 'nuff said about that

no, i have my own private outer-loop jewel of the greater houston area that has not been mentioned yet, and i aint gonna say a peep. i cant give away all my secrets, cuz i gotta save some fer myself ;-p hehehehe

Old 07-18-2011, 06:36 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmashpunyhumans View Post
no, i have my own private outer-loop jewel of the greater houston area that has not been mentioned yet, and i aint gonna say a peep. i cant give away all my secrets, cuz i gotta save some fer myself ;-p hehehehe

I knew it! You're the mayor of Porter, TX.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Why? Cuz they are surrounded by minority communities???? thats a ashame you posted this im kind of offended by being a minority. Because to me it seems like the communities that you named are surrounded by minority communities..is that why the neighborhoods are "OVERRATED".

Do you speak/understand English?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmashpunyhumans View Post
I'll pitch my .02 in,

spring is an abject toilet. the only thing it can do is put all its peanuts in marketing cuz its not about to get right by any decent human being's book. i'm sure the white knights are gonna try and land on me for speaking out. but i'm ready ... the water quality, the schools ... c'mon, take your best shot.

atascosita is a mosquito infested dump as well, but it was never rated high, so i cant say its "over-rated".

pasadena isnt over-rated either because its pretty much rated at 0.

pearland can go straight to hell along with spring, for all the same reasons.

the woodlands aint nuthin but the company store! waaaaay over-rated.

i like the facade of conroe, but i've heard that i shouldnt believe the hype. makes sense to me, but i'm not going to denigrate it unless i have first hand experience, which i dont.

i wont be too harsh on parts of north tomball, or montgomery county, cuz you have country living out there if you want it. its getting too corporitized for my liking, and i dont care for the fact that there's literally 2 churches every 1000 ft. (one on the inbound side of the road, one on the outbound!) ... but i digress ...

dickinson, webster, bacliff, san leon, hitchcock, lamarque, texas city, are all pretty much dumps. well, lets face it, most of galveston county is an absolute dump except for league city, kemah, and bayou vista.

clear lake and friendswood arent really bad per se, just boring. cram packed, forced-in-hand, suburbia, sardine-can, cost-based living.

of course galveston island is not without its charms. most of the island is a scary, scary ghetto, but for all its faults, at the end of the day, i give it a thumbs up! but i'll never live there, or own property there, because ... well, you know what they say about the whole island ... its true; so 'nuff said about that

Will you elaborate instead of using metaphors and analogies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston