Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 AM

635 posts, read 1,704,269 times

Advertisements

I agree that Austin Texas will be a better fit for the lifestyle that you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 PM

11 posts, read 46,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
New Yorkers who bring their New York attitude down here don't do very well. Perhaps staying home up there is the best thing for you....
I'm not quite sure what a "New York Attitude" is...

Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 PM

11 posts, read 46,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnt View Post
As RVD suggests, the Heights or Montrose might be a good starting point. You might also want to look at the (by Rice University) Village. If you lived in the Village you could walk to all kinds of shops and restaurants much like NY.

Houston traffic can be really bad but, I am sure coming from New York it will seem like no big deal. Public transportation is not good here. We do have buses and a small train line (however as of right now the train only services a tiny area). If you live out in some of the suburbs there are some commuter van lines that take you into a couple of the major work areas. The public transportation system compared to New York, is laughable here but, it is something. So unless you plan to work, shop, live and play in the same area, plan on bringing a car. A car is not a luxury in Houston but a neccessity.

As far as heat and humidity, you adapt because everything is air conditioned. People go outside to excercise early, early in the morning or around dusk when the sun, and heat are not so strong. Our winters are very mild and short. We rarely ever get snow and if we do, it is basically a dusting.

You might also want to consider a move to Austin. There you will find a big music scene and great scenery.

Thank you SLNT for your response! Also, I'm from upstate NY, not NYC, so I know what you're talking about for public transportation! haha

Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM

443 posts, read 1,345,796 times
Austin definitely. There really is no natural beauty from a topographic perspective in Houston. We have a nice tree canopy (although the current drought may reduce its beauty substantially over the next few years) in certain areas but that's about it. Austin has rolling hills and very scenic parks and lakes within its limits that Houston cant compare to. Austin is an overgrown college town for the most part and, thus, is very laid back.

I love Houston and, in my opinion, it is much more diverse and cosmopolitan than Austin. Dining is much better in Houston overall, nightlife is more diverse and you can fly to many locations all over the world Nonstop from Houston. I believe the only international destination served from Austin is Cancun..LOL. But given your criteria Austin sounds like a better fit.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 PM

448 posts, read 1,587,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikaTutu View Post
I'm not quite sure what a "New York Attitude" is...
Someone who is condescending and obnoxious. I should know I am one of those persons, however, I am from the big city.

Don't worry about adjusting your attitude, people will adjust to yours, that is how I roll cuz.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM

183 posts, read 454,267 times
Based on your initial post with a music emphasis: artsy, indie, outdoor activities, music scene, laid back - Austin sounds best.

Both Austin + Houston are affordable - both are very Hot and Humid.

I lived in Houston for 11 years and never got used to the humidity. (some do adjust)

You do learn to deal with the humidity, with the help of 24/7 AC. As in all areas of the country, you trade 1 seasonal dislike for another when you relocate. The grass is always greener until you get there.

Questions to consider:

What do you guys do for a living?
Have you researched jobs in your field/areas of interest?
Do you go to school or plan to?
Do you have a car? (You'll need a car in any area of Texas)
Is outdoor fun and natural beauty is really your thing? (I say Austin)

I would research both Austin and Houston as possibilities.

Then visit them both before moving - at least 5 days in both spots. You can accomplish this in 1 trip.

Good Luck!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 PM

67 posts, read 224,240 times
Have you actually BEEN to Houston?? What you're describing is Austin...or maybe a city in a different state...not Houston.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 PM

635 posts, read 1,704,269 times
Yeah, Houston is boring when you are looking for the music and art scene. Althought there are a couple of pockets here like Montrose, Heights, East End where you will find this but not a big population

Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,488 times
hmm Lots of honest Houstonians today.

Pearl Jam wont visit Houston we suck

Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
i think houston has a more pure "artsy fartsy" music and art scene than in Austin. Houston is more of a city city that is rich with diversity and sounds to me exactly like what you are describing. austin has become a booming college town (even more so). think college town and if that is what you want Austin would be it. Houston has several large universities but the art, food, and business scene take over. and not to be taken lightly but your job prospects in houston are better than austin unless you fulfill a specific niche and can back it up with work experience

the metal scene in Houston is not bad and isnt that much better in Austin.

id recommend montrose, midtown, West U, med center for you. something inside the loop (the 610 loop on a map) rent would be about 1000 - 1200 per month unless you want to skimp and get bare bones. thats for a 2/1 2/2 apartment or duplex. austin wouldnt be any cheaper for the surrounding area youd be looking in and you wouldnt be able to live right smack in the middle of it in austin for less

for perspective about the weather - i love it but ive been in the south for over 20 years. we have days of straight 100 degrees over the summer. we have weeks were it feels like in the 100s every day. it can be 8 months before we see rain again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston