Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Bernie Madoff did not work closely with his peers all day, every day.
I participated in a study once, and then in a study group put on by people who knew what they were doing. The top categories of professions of the men who beat up their girlfriends and wives are cops, military, sports figures and preachers.
I know some LEO's. They are not thugs. I'll bet the rent money that they would not report any violation they witnessed.
Hitler got by with what he did because people were afraid to speak up or did want want to be involved. It was not socially acceptable in some circles to complain about the guys running the place being jerks.
We all need to speak out when we witness injustice, anywhere, any time.
I don't doubt this...all positions of power and control. Hard to give that up at the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 PM

75 posts, read 164,723 times
OK, well, to narrow it down from a million hits, here's a direct link.

‪How to not get your *** kicked‬‏ - YouTube (http://tinyurl.com/cve46k - broken link)

The post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek.

Respecting authority and being a weak follower are two different things. The same goes for picking one's battles carefully. It is possible to be polite and assertive, instead of aggressive, even in the presence of law enforcement.

There are places and ways to fight the law, change the makeup of authority, change the laws, change the makeup of our government. No, the process isn't easy or quick, and that's not always a bad thing.

Physical confrontation with law enforcement, obviously, comes with great risk. Unless there is some greater social issue at stake, and you have the backing (physically and in spirit) of the general populace, you really need to think about whether or not the cause you take up is worth it.

i think the real problem is not so much that officers in general are thugs, because I don't really believe most are, but that the minority of officers that do act thuggish are able to do so almost with impunity and sometimes for a long period of time. Even though other officers would rather the thugs leave the force, many are hesitant to be the ones that turn the thuggish officer in. And there is very little redress for civilians that are adversely impacted by overzealous or overbearing police - This is a greater social issue worth taking up, but through media, courts, political process and public shame (anonymous amateur videos to youtube, the media, etc.) first.

Fortunately, most of my encounters with law enforcement have been real matter-of-fact type encounters with someone just doing a job. I didn't always agree with the officer's point of view, but I did manage to win a number of disputes in the courts.

I did have an encounter out of bizzaro world with a Pct. 4 constable's deputy a few years back. Guy was screamin at me over an inspection sticker and an improperly illuminated tag light. I didn't even say anything to him other than "no" as a response to "do you know why i pulled you over?" and "do you have any drugs, guns, knives, etc.?" The rest of the time I just sort of looked at him dumbfounded due to the shouting, sort of like "WTF is this guys problem?" I could have sworn this guy was trying to goad me in to a fight or a verbal spat. This guy seemed to want someone to fight with. The end result - a freaking fix-it ticket for my inspection sticker, something he and I both know can be dismissed with an inspection receipt and a $10 court fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I got some million hits on that title. But found some interesting as well as funny videos.

What I don't like is having to bow down to some thug that I am better then just because he has that almighty gun and the law on his side. I also try to live by a few basic rules not to hurt anyone and follow the most of the silly laws that keep the fuzz away. What I also believe very strongly in is that it is better to die on your feet then to live on your knees. Those who are weak followers may never understand that. Those who are strong leaders will fully understand where I'm coming from.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,198 times
Unfortunately both sides of this argument are probably correct.
As a middle class white woman I have had nothing but unfailingly polite and helpful police encounters...I doubt that my experience would be the same if I were an urban minority.
I am sure the cops make snap judgements how do deal with people...sometimes those judgements are not fair or accurate.
It means I have probably gotten away with more than I should and others get "whacked" when they don't deserve it.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Nobody is trying to excuse it. But we need to quit pretending that it is happening all the time and that bad cops are the norm.
But it happens far too often; that makes people paranoid and gives us the right not to trust the cops. We all know not all of them are bad, but we don't know which ones.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:46 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
But it happens far too often; that makes people paranoid and gives us the right not to trust the cops. We all know not all of them are bad, but we don't know which ones.
Well, once is one time too many but I am not convinced it happens as much as it is being made out to by some posters here. When we read an article or see these videos, there's no context or ability to understand how many police encounters are happening that don't involve abuse.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:03 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
Yeah sure, the question is "how much' of this is happening and we don't know? Police does a pretty good job at preventing public / people to film abuse (you end up in jail), they also do a pretty good job at covering for each other (how many times did you see a cop rat on other cop) and lastly they do a pretty good job at being "above" the law. What more do you need? So much for "trust" and "credibility". Who polices the POLICE mate?

Quote:
Well, once is one time too many but I am not convinced it happens as much as it is being made out to by some posters here. When we read an article or see these videos, there's no context or ability to understand how many police encounters are happening that don't involve abuse.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Yeah sure, the question is "how much' of this is happening and we don't know? Police does a pretty good job at preventing public / people to film abuse (you end up in jail), they also do a pretty good job at covering for each other (how many times did you see a cop rat on other cop) and lastly they do a pretty good job at being "above" the law. What more do you need? So much for "trust" and "credibility". Who polices the POLICE mate?
As you pointed out in an earlier post, the number of cameras out there has been a game changer. Of course there the cases where rogue cops are arresting filmers, but I remain unconvinced that there is an epidemic of police abuse. The question of who polices the police is a real one, and as one who leans libertarian/conservative I take that seriously. But as I proved to desertsun41 with a simple google search, there is plenty of evidence of police departments weeding out rogue cops and I think there is growing support among rank and file good cops to eliminate the bad apples from their midst.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:04 PM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
As you pointed out in an earlier post, the number of cameras out there has been a game changer. Of course there the cases where rogue cops are arresting filmers, but I remain unconvinced that there is an epidemic of police abuse. The question of who polices the police is a real one, and as one who leans libertarian/conservative I take that seriously. But as I proved to desertsun41 with a simple google search, there is plenty of evidence of police departments weeding out rogue cops and I think there is growing support among rank and file good cops to eliminate the bad apples from their midst.
From your lips to G-d's ears. One body in the bayou is enough.
A group i was a member of watched Houston police as they loaded sawed-off shot guns into their patrol cars some years ago. Thank goodness they don't do that anymore.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Lots of these crimes go undiscovered or are covered up; so to say they don't happen often is incorrect. I've heard plenty of stories. Just because you're not witnessing or seeing these things doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

As someone who is currently majoring in criminal justice; I've spoke with various people who work for law enforcement and even they will back me up on this statement.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Lots of these crimes go undiscovered or are covered up; so to say they don't happen often is incorrect. I've heard plenty of stories. Just because you're not witnessing or seeing these things doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

As someone who is currently majoring in criminal justice; I've spoke with various people who work for law enforcement and even they will back me up on this statement.
<shrug> Ok. I never said abuse did not happen, rather it does not happen to the extent that some of the posters here make it out to be occurring. If people choose to believe that the majority of police are corrupt and the majority of encounters with law enforcement end up in abuse, that is certainly their prerogative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: