Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times

Advertisements

I have a friend moving from Tyer to live near her daughter and grandkids. She asked me about apartments in Clear Lake, Webster and Friendswood. I don't know what her budget is, but any suggestions would be helpful because I have no experience of these areas. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I used to live here, and a friend still lives here. To me this was the best choice because it wasn't super expensive, and the apartment complex was always well maintained. Lots of places experience huge swings with new management or with an influx of less desirables. Been there done that. But this complex was always well kept. It's close to Wal-Mart and Target. Also real close to Kemah.

Apartments League City | South Shore Lakes Apartments

Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Not sure what to recommend but I can say avoid the apartments on El Dorado between I-45 and Hwy 3. That strip has been sketchy for quite awhile.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
Probably anything between I-45 and Hwy. 3 along that entire corredor (from near Ellington all the way down to League City) would be bad. Maybe it's the quick access to the freeway that make it more appealing to some crooks...

Farther into the interior would be better. Say, the box formed by Clear Lake Blvd, Bay Area Blvd, El Camino Real, and Space Center Blvd (with closer to Space Center being better - again farther away from the freeway).

Don't know much about Fiends-wood. Webster is troubled when it comes to apartments. League City (mentioned above) seems to be experiencing higher crime these days, and is farther away from Houston. Good luck CarolF, and you can send a message to me directly if you would like.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 02-02-2012 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Yeah, the ones on Dixie Farm Rd, El Dorado and NASA Rd 1 between I-45 and Hwy 3 would be the ones to avoid. (IIRC the rest of the streets between I-45 and 3 are either businesses or oil/cattle fields.) The ones on El Dorado have been rife with drug dealers for at least the past 10 years. Never heard anything bad about the ones on NASA Rd 1 but it used to be party central 24/7. Most of the "apartment" units around there are actually more like condos, owned by different people and managed by a couple different slumlord-ish property management companies. If the unit is managed by a property manager instead of the complex itself, avoid.

However just about anything from Hwy 3 on east should be fine. Everything tends to cost more as you cross those railroad tracks, too. You're going from cash for car loans places, game rooms, etc to an area where white-collar professionals live (and work). There are still a few cheap apartments down El Camino Real I'd personally avoid, but everything else should be good. Lots of 20-somethings down there too.

Even still, and relatively speaking, the ''bad'' areas in Clear Lake have nothing on the bad parts of SE Houston.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times
Thanks for your responses. I have passed them on. My friend says her daughter will use an apartment locator and then they will look at the locator's suggestions in light of your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston